Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Need Truck Camper suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Truck Camper suggestions

We are a family of 4 that does a lot of non-horsey camping, so I am in the market for a truck camper (and not a gooseneck living quarter). Previously, I towed our light weight 3 horse with a small Class C that did well, but I tired of the house noise while driving and because it was quite old, the air bags were marginal. As much as it would be nice to get a gooseneck with living quarters, I can't have it all: we also need a family camper.

So I'm in the market for a truck camper that sleeps 4, preferably without needing a hitch extension. Accounting for tongue weight means that we probably should go without a slide. I'll be towing approx 6-7,000 lbs loaded. I'm reading a lot about the Lance 850 as a great long bed option that would sleep 4 (bunk over dinette).

For those of you towing with a truck camper, what is your set up? (Also, looking for 1 ton diesel truck recommendations)
    Last edited by Slew's Gold Stryke; Jun. 14, 2019, 11:26 AM.

I would recommend a dually truck for good control in the wind, lots of wheels on the ground for good stopping. Should be able to stop the loaded trailer, should your brakes go out. Even with the best care, brakes can fail you. 4WD would be helpful at times, but it means an even lower mpg on fuel. I love diesels, more power when needed, last very long times. Crew cab with 4 doors is really nice, everyone is comfortable on long drives. We had a one ton Ford fitting that description, for hauling our 11ft camper, though it was just used on vacation, no trailer involved. We had the 8ft bed, that truck length really is a nice ride. Our horse trailer was a gooseneck, so we had to choose camper or trailer, never both.

On the Lance truck camper, we have one of those too! It is elderly now, we got it used but in excellent condition. Heck, they never took any of the plastic off the cushions during the time they showed horses with it. Daughter won Miss Someething, then they sold it. All the parts have been nice to use, a lot better quality than other camper brands I have seen or used. It can be workable with 4 people, just tight. I would actually go "try it on" before purchasing. That fold down space above the dinette is small. Son was little, 8-9 when he slept in it, moved out to sleep in the rear truck seat or his own tent with his large dog, as he grew. Daughter slept in the dinette bunk. She was much younger, toddler, so we put a removable board across the open side so she would not fall out.

We still have the Lance camper, use it when we can go on vacation. The beloved old Ford got sold on at 21 yrs, lot of fond memoories going on vacation, horse shows with it. We had it all but the first 6 months of its life. Newer truck is a commercial model Nissan, flat face, flatbed. Cab is too tall for the camper, so husband put camper on a trailer we pull with the truck. Trailer has lots of extra storage he added, with a floor behind camper for bikes, and a golf cart or ATV or gator to take along. VERY redneck, but he likes the attention and thumbs up from other men drivers. Some people even take our picture as they pass! Ha ha We all have fun in our own ways! Everything still works well in the camper, nice bathroom/shower. Love the big fridge, runs on electric or propane. The stove with oven uses propane. We can stop and eat anyplace, fix great local food, nothing fried!. Self contained, we don't even need electric if camping is very rustic. Ours has AC, but needs electric plug-in to use. Excellent furnace, keeps us quite toasty when needed, no electric needed for that.

Not sure if you have ever seen a bumper pull trailer with dolly wheels? Not real common, but the dolly takes the tongue weight off the motorhome or loaded truck with camper. There are some circut people who show using the dolly wheels with their trailers. Some hauling great distances , so they are not restrictive to use. Could be an option to consider, with what you plan to haul.

Hope you can find a workable setup for your family! Enjoy yourselves.

Comment

Four in a truck camper is do-able, but will be very cozy, especially if you choose a model without a slideout. Lance is a popular brand in Alaska, where truck campers are much more common than in the "Lower 48".

If the kids are old enough, you can increase your sleeping space by allowing them to sleep in a tent outside the camper.... lots of benefits to that situation!

Comment

Another vote for Lance. Ford used to make a Camper Special F350 single wheels with about a ten inch longer wheelbase just for the cabover campers. We checked out the Lance series when we were debating whether to get a replacement for the ancient and decrepit one we had, went to the RV and boat show at the Cow Palace. Lance was really nice and well set up, but they had some that were ten feet long and hung over the back, I don't know how they deal with the 6' short bed club cabs that are so popular nowadays.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Working...
        X