Sport Horse Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

100_7261

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Parking stock trailer in the rain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking stock trailer in the rain

First-time trailer owner here 🙋🏼*♀️

I just purchased a 2011 Featherlite trailer, a 2HBP slant load stock trailer. All aluminum with WOOD FLOORS and mats. I live in Central FL, and our rainy season has just begun.

I got a really great deal (a steal, honestly) on this trailer, because some of the wood floor has rotted out after being left under a tree for 6 months. My handy husband is going to replace all the floors with new planks, then we’re going to have it serviced. Great!

What do I do with the trailer when it comes home to prevent any damage to the wood floors going forward?! We’re going to treat the heck out of the new wood before putting the mats back on, of course.
    How should I park/store this trailer? We don’t currently have a setup that allows us to park the trailer in a garage or other similar covered structure. So what happens with stock trailers when it rains and the major humidity sets in? Doesn’t rain water get inside the trailer due to the openness? Am I going to spend my life pulling mats out and drying wood after every rain? Cover with a tarp? Does the water just not creep in?? Looking for some tips and guidance on caring for my new toy.

It's quite concerning to me that a 2011 model wood floor rotted through in 8 years. That doesn't seem right and has me wanting to run outside and double check my 2015 model one more time!

I don't have a good answer, but I have the same problem with my stock trailer. I live in a super humid area that has also experienced an atypically wet weather pattern for over a year now. I park my trailer outside. I try to pull the bedding into the center when parked, because it is mostly the edges that get wet. I don't pull my mats up. I don't cover the trailer with a tarp or proper canvas trailer cover because I've heard moisture gets trapped that way, which is even worse.

Yeah... going outside to check my floor now... it was fine at last check, but you have me wondering...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

I wouldn’t panic, Texarkana! This poor trailer was parked under (against?) a tree with the branches literally poking into the back of the trailer. So the entire back edge of the wood (where the step-down is) has rotted there where I’m guessing water pooled.

The rest of the wood wood looks fine, but I’m goimg
      to replace it all at once for the peace of mind.

Comment

If your trailer has plexi glass inserts for the stock slants, you could insert them to keep water out. I have both a ‘99 Featherlite stock trailer and a ‘06 Elite stock combo LQ trailer that I have had no issues with, although they both have aluminum floors. The Featherlite does not have inserts and the floor is in excellent shape. The Elite does have inserts, that I leave in unless hauling a horse. That floor is also in excellent shape. Both floors are original.

I would use pressure treated lumber to replace the floor, see if there is any type of sealant you could use on the new floor, and be careful as to where you park it. I am also religious about cleaning out once I get where I am going, especially if there is urine involved. I also always use bedding to help absorb urine.

Is there any chance the rot rot may have also been caused by the previous owner not cleaning the trailer out like they should?

You can install the channels for plexi glass and the plexi glass aftermarket. You could call Featherlite for the channels, or fabricate them yourself. You should be able to buy the plexi glass locally.
        "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

It also may help to crank up the front of the trailer (with wheels chocked) so that the floor will drain while parked.

Comment

Mine is not a stock, but I either fold the mats in half towards the front of the trailer (exposing the floor in the back half where the poop/pee is), or pull them entirely.

Comment

treat the wood before installing with a water sealer such as Thompson's Water Seal

Comment

You can always use a tarp and bungee cords to cover far enough down to cover the open slats. There are fitted trailer covers, but they aren't cheap!

And when you park it, make sure that its not perfectly level - adjust the jack so there is a slight tilt to the trailer, so if water does get in, it will run off, not stand and pool.
                ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Also make sure its parked on gravel, patio bricks, etc. and NOT grass.
                  "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                    It's quite concerning to me that a 2011 model wood floor rotted through in 8 years. That doesn't seem right and has me wanting to run outside and double check my 2015 model one more time!

^^^ That's nuthin' . We replaced the floor in my 4-horse stock trailer which sits out all the time in southern Middle Tennessee weather. That means a lot of rain, a lot of heat, a lot of humidity. I only used the trailer a few times (after the new floor) to carry a horse to the vet.

My trailer is double-floored with the bottom floor being the same type of tongue &a groove planking the trailer came with. It only took five years for those floors to rot out

DH had to put new floors in, yet again, so I could carry one of the horses to the clinic.

we have too much high wind to just put up some aluminum roof with cheap poles that stick in the ground and we don't have the money it would cost to have a contractor build an overhang off the side of the workshop.

Soooooo --- DH spent a couple hundred dollars on a tarp to cover the whole trailer, down to the fenders. It has been doing its job but I have not looked in the trailer this year to see if the tarp is still keeping the rain out (hoping it didn't spring a leak). I'm almost afraid to look in there by this time of the year ---- there's probably a collection of Black Widows, and an assortment of the viper snakes our area is famous for ---------

Anyway, OP, try covering your trailer with a big enough tarp that it goes down to the fenders. But I'm saying right now it's is a major PITA to get on/off. Maybe yours won't be as you have a two horse but it's still going to be awkward to manhandle. At least it should do the job until you can build something to house it

Comment

Don't get Thompson's water sealant. I bought some and it's terrible. I had to apply mineral spirits because it left the floor all sticky. I inadvertently found an old bottle of it and the old stuff is great. Totally different product than the new stuff.

I added aluminum j channel around my windows and bought polycarbonate shelf liner for windows. Mine slide right in. $60 for rails, $55 for the polycarbonate, $20 for frp board. The shelf liner comes in different sizes. I bought 16 inch and it fits my windows perfectly.

The frp board covers the back door. You could just use frp board instead of polycarbonate if you wanted cheaper windows. I didn't want to deal with cutting polycarbonate for the back window.

I attached Velcro to the frp board, slide it in the bottom rail, the Velcro attaches to the metal bars to support the top. I could have added snaps on top but I didn't want to add more holes in the trailer. The Velcro has held well, even with 30 mph winds.

It's completely waterproof. No leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                        treat the wood before installing with a water sealer such as Thompson's Water Seal
                        Dont use Thompsons. Its the crappiest product and you'll have to keep redoing it.

Comment

As others have said, you should use pressure treated lumber for the floor (and in the gate/ramp, if there is any between the panels, although that is probably just a ramp issue). Good PT wood lasts forever, but when I last replaced the plywood sheet in my old trail et (PT wood treated floor), I used PT plywood and THEN applied the gold standard: Spar Urethane (or any marine spar varnish). But ramps are notorious for rotting out because of the run off. Even though my trailer was 20+ years old when I sold it and I had replaced the ramp twice, the PT wood floor was still in great shape because it had rarely been stored on grass (bad), I always cleaned it out every use, every time and I kept it closed up except when in use.

Two of those things you can do with a stock trailer, and the plexiglass panels are OK, but the idea of taking them out for every use (if you are in Florida, there is almost no time you want them in) seems like some serious annoyance. If it were mine, I would probably replace the floor with PT wood (maybe use Spar on the last 12" towards the back since that is the stress point for most trailers+moisture), try parking it slightly raised and evaluate how much water really comes in and then evaluate from there.
                          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by walkinthewalk View Post

My trailer is double-floored with the bottom floor being the same type of tongue &a groove planking the trailer came with. It only took five years for those floors to rot out

DH had to put new floors in, yet again, so I could carry one of the horses to the clinic.

This still seems so bizarre to me. My trailer sat out in middle TN, too, for a good few years before I moved to an equally humid area two years ago. Now I get to deal with humidity, rain, AND road salt. While water gets in my trailer, it still doesn't seem like enough that wood could "rot out" to the point of needing replaced in such a short period of time. The volume of water that gets in isn't that significant; it dampens the mats and any bedding it touches, but dries out quickly as soon as the rain stops.

I'm actually scheduling a floor inspection as a result of this thread; I'm due anyway. I lifted my mats yesterday, poked around with a flathead screwdriver, banged on the boards with a hammer. Things seem okay, but I'm really wondering now what constitutes "rotted out."
                            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

This still seems so bizarre to me. My trailer sat out in middle TN, too, for a good few years before I moved to an equally humid area two years ago. Now I get to deal with humidity, rain, AND road salt. While water gets in my trailer, it still doesn't seem like enough that wood could "rot out" to the point of needing replaced in such a short period of time. The volume of water that gets in isn't that significant; it dampens the mats and any bedding it touches, but dries out quickly as soon as the rain stops.

I'm actually scheduling a floor inspection as a result of this thread; I'm due anyway. I lifted my mats yesterday, poked around with a flathead screwdriver, banged on the boards with a hammer. Things seem okay, but I'm really wondering now what constitutes "rotted out."
                              When DH had to replace the floors this last time, which was around 2-1/2 years ago, my 20-something well seasoned, well traveled trail horse refused to get on the trailer -- refused --- like a green horse.

He finally did get on to go to the vet but it took 15 minutes and it was under duress ---- this from a horse that I can throw the rope over his neck and say "get up in there."

DH gave me one of his condescending looks and eye roll when I demanded he check the floors. Sure enough there was rot starting along the edges of the wood and at the back where the rain can also blow in . When the wind blows the rain sideways around here, it will blow right into the trailer. It the trailer is sitting level the water won't run out.

DH put the new floors in, my sweetie pie horse spent a good ten minutes snorting & sniffing. Finally satisfied he walked right up on the trailer and that was the end of him refusing to get on, lollol

Truth be told the center of the wood was still good but the horse didn't think so, and since I'm anal about that stuff anyway, poor DH had to rip out floor boards that didn't have more than 100 miles on them, if that, lollol

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 4horses View Post
                                The frp board covers the back door. You could just use frp board instead of polycarbonate if you wanted cheaper windows. I didn't want to deal with cutting polycarbonate for the back window.

I attached Velcro to the frp board, slide it in the bottom rail, the Velcro attaches to the metal bars to support the top. I could have added snaps on top but I didn't want to add more holes in the trailer. The Velcro has held well, even with 30 mph winds.

It's completely waterproof. No leaks.
                                What does “frp” stand for?

Your setup sounds awesome! Do you have any pictures you could share?

I really want to do the plexiglass, or similar, since I don’t haul very often and don’t plan on increasing my frequency for another year+

And Texarkana...my rot is pretty darn obvious!
                                Hopefully the pic comes through.

Comment

Wow! That IS obvious!

I don't mean to sound so doubtful. This thread is scaring me to death as the owner of a stock trailer that sits out in the weather and I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything. I'm now terrified I'll pull my mats up in the near future and see that!

Comment

My stock trailer sits outside here in Eastern Ontario.... Rain. Snow. Heat.
                                    The floors have been replaced twice in 20 years. Pressure treated lumber.
                                    It is used 1-2 times a week from May to November then it sits...uncovered.. all winter.

I have lighter-weight rubber mats and make sure the floor is picked clean and swept thoroughly and the mats are left flipped back, off the floor after every use.

I think the key to keeping your floors in good condition - no matter what kind of trailer - is to keep the floors spotless and roll up the mats after every use.

Comment

Polyurethane the new wood with marine grade urethane. I did this when I bought my stock side trailer new. It has been outside, uncovered here in humid land for at least 12 years - the floor is perfect, no issues under the mats.

I never put bedding in there & I do always sweep out any stray poo after I use it, but that's it.

Don't cover your trailer, it just traps more moisture under there.
                                      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

This is frp board:
                                        https://www.lowes.com/pd/48-in-x-8-f...nel/1000174771

You can cut it by hand with these:
                                        https://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-2...xoCtp4QAvD_BwE

This is what I bought for windows:
                                        https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-16...​​​​

polyurethane helps protect the floor but if you have a steel trailer eventually it will rust out from excessive rainfall. Keeping the rain out of your trailer and keeping the outside well painted is going to go a long way towards preserving your investment.

Comment

Working...
                                        X