Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Limiting how much stuff a boarder can keep in the barn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tack lockers are pretty much the norm here. Whether or not you keep your saddle in your locker or on a rack on the wall varies. At my current place I have a tack locker, my saddle on the wall, and some blankets neatly folded on top of my locker. Since there is ample space in the room, there is some flexibility with putting extra items in the room.

At my previous stable I kept my saddle and everything in my locker with a rubber tote on top. Barn owners usually have no issue with things on top of lockers.

The only issues are usually blanket storage, hanging spaces for wet blankets or saddle pads to dry, and feed if you provide your own.

It's your barn, your rules, but I agree that tack trunks can be a pain and lockers are the way to go. I'd make the saddle racks remove able...or at least one of them as most people don't need two.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
      . And, of course, fly spray, which seems to be the most awkwardly sized container that tends to defeat efficient boarding space usage. s.
      come to think of it I have never seen a commercial fly spray in a square spray bottle that is low profile, all are tall round things that are filled about 2/3rd way...just tall to make one think it contains a lot.

A smaller square bottle would make more sense for shipping as they could get a greater number in less space, reduce the size of the shipping box, increase the number of bottles on the retail shelve

Comment

I am a condo dweller with two horses. I simply cannot store more things at home (storage locker is jam-packed).

At the barn, I have one locker for things needed every day. I do manage to wedge my saddle, multiple pads, four bridles, two girths, enough cottons and wraps for eight legs, two full sets of horse boots, a collection of bits, all sorts of lotions and potions, my helmet and boots, clippers, etc. into the one locker.

I have one trunk that goes to shows and also does off-season storage of all show tack and related. Two other trunks hold spare tack and equipment, and things not needed on a regular basis.

Our barn has two sheds: one for trunks and one for blankets. Each horse has a shelf in the blanket shed, as well as a hook in the barn for blankets in active use. Trunks not in regular use get stacked on top of each other to make more space.

Most of the borders do not have trailers, and the barn does not offer trailer parking on site.

Comment

OP, it sounds like you offer plenty of space that should work well for most people.
          It is not your job to provide enough space so that people can store every last thing they have ever bought that might be used on or for a horse.

Add the new storage requirements to their boarding contract. Have them sign it. Tell them that if it is an issue for them you will waive the 30 day notice requirement for the next 30 days.

Originally posted by Renn/aissance
          - If your clients are not eventers, two saddle racks is a waste of space.
          People who ride both English and Western also need two saddle racks.

Originally posted by CHT View Post
          What about blanket storage?
          From post #7

Originally posted by Goforward View Post
          We have hangers for blankets and coolers in an area with no climate control. There's enough room for every horse to have a full wardrobe.

Comment

DarkBayUnicorn why don't you have a locker for each horse?

Comment

The lockers will be big enough to hold 2 saddles, bridles, brush kit, helmet, boots and a little space left over.
              Tack room is has heat, AC and a fridge so stuff can all stay the right temp/humidity level.
              I anticipate a little push back from 2 clients who have jumbo personalized tack boxes.
              Haha.... when I was a kid, BOs *wanted* you to have a large-size tack trunk so that all that was in the tack room was your riding tack.

Can't win.

Try to see this from your boarders' point of view and you'll be fine.

On the upside--

Free trailer parking. Yay! Boarders can keep some weather-impervious things out there. That's feasible and reasonable.

Lots of folks report some borrowing/theft at boarding barns (not my experience) so plenty of people will like the lockers. I just recommend that you make sure they are well ventilated. A boarder who comes, rides and leaves will have a hard time letting their saddle pads dry adequately if you set it up so that should be locked back up in their locker. And the last thing you want to do is create a dirty-saddle-pad-smell problem.

On the downside--

What if your boarder (and good horseman) wants to keep extras like a lunge whip or surcingle and bitting harness there. Is there room for that? How about leg wraps and, most important, a full first aid kit? If they also ride western or, say, sometimes want to put a western saddle on their young horse or whathaveyou, are the tack lockers big enough for that?

Speaking from experience with all of these as a boarder, it's a real PITA to have something large and unwieldy like a Western saddle have to be brought back and forth to the barn. Same goes for first aid stuff. This is how materials from the BO get borrowed in a pinch and maybe not returned! Don't set your boarders up to not have their own kit.

Maybe the problem of damp cooler or saddle pads could be solved by having a place that boarders could hang those to dry? I know I wouldn't want to stuff those back in a locker.

Good luck! I hope the lockers work out well for everyone,

The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                People who ride both English and Western also need two saddle racks.
                Good point- I was thinking of my own barnmates. I was also envisioning one locker per horse, not one locker per boarder- if it's the latter, perhaps people will have two saddles to store if they have multiple horses.

The point I meant to make was that if the organization system in the lockers can be customized somewhat, that makes them a better storage solution. For instance, if the people who don't have use for two racks can remove the second one, that lets them use the real estate in the way they want it. If the OP is all right with them adding additional hooks to the door, or some kind of basket system, that also helps. But she may (quite reasonably) not want people putting holes or adhesives on the walls of your barn property.

I also think that the distance between the trailer parking and the barn makes a difference here. Where I board now, trailer parking is right outside the front door. At a farm where I boarded in the past, trailer parking was a mile away from the barn down a rutted lane that, in poor weather, was really only accessible on foot or with 4WD. That would have made it a challenge to effectively use the trailer for equipment storage.

For what it's worth, I have one horse and a large wooden trunk, with some overflow stored in the trailer (spare halter, etc.) Mostly the stuff in the trailer is what I need for shipping. If I don't use it on a weekly basis, or wouldn't require it at hand in an emergency, it lives at home.

By the way, the climate-controlled storage room and access to a fridge is a huge perk.

"I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

I don’t expect much space for things at the barn. You’re set up sounds very generous.

I live in a small apartment and manage to store things there in a neat manner. A small living space doesn’t mean they can’t, it means they don’t want to.

If people want everything on hand just in case, and they can’t have it at your farm that’s their problem. Sorry my horse doesn’t need blankets and sheets at the barn “just in case” during the summer. Coolers, sweat sheets, etc same thing.

For things that legitimately could arise as “just in case” I keep them in the trunk of my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                    - You're essentially locking yourself into providing your current set of services- first aid supplies, shampoo, saddle pads, bandages- for life if you're not providing clients with adequate space to store their own. You know your market and your business. Is this level of service sustainable in your market? (I can't stop thinking about the laundry. If you're providing pads and towels, and you have 10+ horses on the property, that's at least a load a day you're doing for clients, not counting horse clothing or bandages.)

Your barn, your rules, but since you asked: personally, I hate lockers. This would make me reconsider the rest of your services with a very critical eye because the inconvenience sounds substantial given what I keep in my trunk and the space you describe in your lockers. Maybe I'd just be a bad client for you.

(Our barn's rule is one trunk, saddle rack, and bridle rack per boarder, plus trailer parking. A blanket bar is provided per stall. Most trunks are stored in the tack room.)
                    And decide now if there is a charge for multi day use of those items you are not allowing space for boarders to keep onsite that you feel you can loan in a pinch.
                    I afforded my horse by working, long hours and far away. ETA the trunk of my car was consumed by work materials [samples] and it was a company car that would have precluded carrying horse items around all day, every day in it. Not to mention the heat/cold of car storage is not great for many items one would need in an emergency.
                    My job meant that I had limited time to dash home to get ___ when we had an issue, so having it on site, in a trunk in the loft or a space otherwise out of the way, was key for me.

If I was limited on space AND the BO charged for use of things I had no room to store there but would need to use pronto [ie to address stocking up, or cellulitis, for example] and longterm, I might not choose to board there.

Also if you do not have a quantity of items to loan out to as many horses as might need them at once,.. hurt feelings could ensue if you offer them to one boarder but another boarder horse has to go without because of limited time/space and loaners.

Sharing can also lead to 'stealing' or actual stealing. Be prepared to have to repossess your own, loaner items from hostile hands who have claimed them as their own. Be prepared to get them back filthy, ripped or otherwise ruined. Then you need to buy more, to loan... And be ready to do wash lickety split should the loaner item be needed by another boarder.

THINK OF IT THIS WAY:

Most people wanting to keep items on site are doing so because the things they are wanting to store are intended for the use on the horse, and serve that purpose best when stored near said horse as to be convenient for the rare but urgent need for the item.
                    They are wanting to store these items on site to be LESS of a hassle to you, by not needing to borrow items from you.. that then, through no fault of their own except for #horses... get ruined.

Try to think of it that way... understanding that most boarders are only trying to supplement what you offer in boarding with their own care and material goods so that the horse gets the level of care they wish that horse to have. Again without overly being a burden to you or your workers.

Off season items are the obvious exception.
                    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

well, since OP has space for trailers I am believing I would build my own small self storage warehouses on the barn site...then those who need the extra space can just lease a unit

A mini warehouse is cheaper to build than a barn and can be disassembled and sold if not needed

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                        THINK OF IT THIS WAY:

Most people wanting to keep items on site are doing so because the things they are wanting to store are intended for the use on the horse, and serve that purpose best when stored near said horse as to be convenient for the rare but urgent need for the item.
                        They are wanting to store these items on site to be LESS of a hassle to you, by not needing to borrow items from you.. that then, through no fault of their own except for #horses... get ruined.

Try to think of it that way... understanding that most boarders are only trying to supplement what you offer in boarding with their own care and material goods so that the horse gets the level of care they wish that horse to have. Again without overly being a burden to you or your workers.
                        I completely disagree. With 14 years of being a boarder and 2 years now as a BO, IME people will store every single possible thing they can at the barn simply because they don't want to keep it at home. Be it space restraints at home, smell considerations, or any other reason, people will always take advantage of what they're given at a barn if not given specific instructions that are strictly enforced. You give an inch, they take a mile, as they say.
                        Custom tack racks!
                        www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

OP, you have limited space. Your limit actually sounds pretty generous! Assuming there is blanket storage outside of the tack room, anyone else can make do.

IME, if you allow for additional storage beyond what you describe, people WILL fill it, and then never touch it. Horse people tend to accumulate a lot "just in case." It doesn't need to be there.

My friend redesigned her tack room last year, and we discovered it was more efficient to have saddle racks on one wall, and smaller lockers on the other. Saddles are just an awkward use of space, so at least stacking the racks on top of each other, you don't waste as much space. She also put cubbies in the grooming stall for grooming totes. Then each horse gets a locker (so a boarder with multiple horses gets multiple lockers). The lockers were generally I THINK 2' wide, 2' deep, and 3' high. There was a lower row and a top row, so we were able to fit A LOT of lockers into a small space. There are two corner lockers that are much bigger, so the top one belongs to the BO and the bottom belongs to the trainer at the facility. But as someone who does have a lot, and a high maintenance horse, I was able to use ONE locker for EVERYTHING. Important meds, coolers, bath supplies, tack cleaning supplies, my boots and helmet, multiple bridles... seriously, not difficult, it just takes smart planning. These lockers had shelves set up in a T - a full-width shelf about 16" from the top (tall enough for tall spray bottles), then a vertical divider down the middle underneath that, with the left side left open for bridles, tall boots, and other hooks for hanging things, and the right side had one shelf across the middle of that space, so you had little cubbies on that side. This worked great.

Comment

We have limited storage space in our barn. We are currently 3/4 of the way through renovating our tack room and we've decided on tack lockers rather than open saddle racks. Am I out of line to ask my clients to only bring as much stuff as they can fit in the lockers?
                            I really don't want tack boxes in the aisles. Horses get hung up on them, they collect dust and they limit free space. Most of the junk at the bottom of a tack box never sees the light of day.
                            I offer free horse trailer parking so anyone with a trailer could have their own extras close at hand. I have shampoo/fly spray/saddle pads/towels/tack cleaning stuff available to my clients as part of their board and training packages. All they really need is tack, grooming kit and their own attire.
                            Would you be disgruntled if your barn banned tack boxes and extra stuff?
                            Back when I was boarding, I kept my horses at a couple places that had tack lockers. I never particularly liked them - most were awkwardly designed. The saddle rack of course took up the bulk of the room, which made it a PITA to get the other stuff (grooming tote, vet/bathing supplies, helmet, etc) out without removing the saddle first. I always thought having saddle RACKS made more sense - then lockers if desired for all the other gear. If you had a show and a schooling bridle, perhaps an extra halter, boots for riding or turnout, a dressage whip, maybe paddock shoes or similar... the lockers were always crammed and messy. (Also most did not have any sort of ventilation so in the summer, helmets, polos etc got GROSS.

Most of the barns where I boarded allowed trunks, either in the tack room or in the aisles. Several required the trunks to be in their barn colors. Despite the expense, I always greatly preferred having a trunk of my own (also handier to shows!) But if your aisle is narrow, I can understand your POV.
                            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I've boarded at two barns where they had lockers that were 5-6 feet high and maybe 2 feet wide? Definitely enough room for all my eventing gear and such. I had those 3-drawer units that were able to hold all my horse's meds and first aid things; grooming tote on top. They also allowed us to drill holes to hang hooks on the inside. For drying pads, we were able to hang over the door hooks to hang pads and coolers on the outside. If you have free trailer parking on site, your lockers sound very reasonable. My current barn offers lockers that barely fit two saddles, so they allow trunks, but our aisles are also 40' wide.

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post

I completely disagree. With 14 years of being a boarder and 2 years now as a BO, IME people will store every single possible thing they can at the barn simply because they don't want to keep it at home.
                                Well, sure. It's the same reason you keep the sponge and dish soap next to the sink instead of in the dining room: from a workflow perspective, to a user, it is most convenient and efficient to store items near point of use when possible.

The OP is setting up boundaries based on what is most convenient and efficient for her in her use of the property. That's her prerogative- she owns the place! Her rules will affect some other areas of her business plan (work involved in maintaining a stock of communal supplies) and will affect her pool of interested clients based on the clients' preferences and needs for their horses.
                                "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by RedHorses View Post
                                  DarkBayUnicorn why don't you have a locker for each horse?
                                  Don't really need a second one thanks to having my trunks. Our lockers are wide enough I can fit all my every day items into the one. I have just the one saddle on the rack. Pads are neatly folded on top of the saddle. Then I have five hooks on the doors to accomodate bridles, spare halter, spurs, bits and martingale. Beside my saddle rack I have one of those plastic three-drawer units about 2' high. In that are first aid supplies, clippers, cottons and wraps and horse boots. Coolers are neatly folded on top of the drawers. Between the saddle rack and the drawers are my field boots. Helmet hangs by chinstrap off saddle rack. Lotions and potions are tucked on the floor of the locker, with most-often-used at the front and least used at the back. Sometimes I open the door and also find a cat.

My trunks house things I don't need regularly: spare bridles and halters, lunging surcingle and side reins, extra coolers (my mare likes to win clothes), foal and yearling sized stuff from when gelding was wee (that I'm holding onto for when I breed marsie again), etc.

Blankets are either on their backs, on their hooks in the feedroom or on their shelves in the blanket shed. Supplements are in the feedroom. Halters, bellbots and quick wraps on stall doors. Leadshanks, lunge lines and brushes are communal.

Comment

Lockers with additional storage for blankets and the like sounds reasonable. The place I board has changed their rules so many times is annoying so pick something and stick with it for at least a year to see if it works. Currently the barn either gives you a cubby per stall (cubbies are big enough for 2 saddles, riding supplies, first aid and grooming) or an in stall corner locker (which is huge) if your stall has it or a 3 foot wide, floor to ceiling space in a tack room. There is no space for blankets or buckets in the hay barn but you can store a single trash can out there with your grain. Nothing can be stored in the barn aisle and the blanket bars on the stall doors are not to be used. *shrug* I wish we had a space to store trunks but otherwise its ok.

I have my 2 trunks stored in a shed at home and have the option to store in my trailer once I get it water proofed.

Comment

I like the building and renting small storage units No one will be forcing them to use it, a tiny bit of extra income, can be converted into another useful building if necessary or for your own use. Not a bad idea at all!!
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I have less issue with limited storage if the storage limits are clear upfront and consistent.

I have managed with the bare minimum (saddle, bridle, girth, one pad and grooming kit, plus hanger for blankets during winter) and carrying things back and forth to the barn as needed. I have had places with a private tack shed. Currently my barn has a main tack room where I have an open locker (Think locker without a door, so plenty of ventilation) with my most regularly used equipment, and enough room in a shared shed for storage of a few rubbermaid tubs with off-season blankets, spares, etc.

I find the biggest issues arise when the storage is inconsistently meted out. It is always hard to take away space from someone - as my dad used to say "possession is nine tenths of the law" - once they have that space, it is hard to give it up without feeling resentment. The other issue is if some boarders have more space than others. If you aren't providing everyone with equivalent storage, you need to somehow charge more for the extra space. One barn had a big community tack room - included in your board was one saddle rack, two bridle hooks and space for one trunk. If you wanted to have a private tack room they had an additional monthly fee. If you were willing to share the private tack room with another boarder, they cut the monthly fee by half.
                                        "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post

I completely disagree. With 14 years of being a boarder and 2 years now as a BO, IME people will store every single possible thing they can at the barn simply because they don't want to keep it at home. Be it space restraints at home, smell considerations, or any other reason, people will always take advantage of what they're given at a barn if not given specific instructions that are strictly enforced. You give an inch, they take a mile, as they say.
                                          I've boarded quite a long while myself, and worked in many of the barns I boarded in and many I did not board in. I hear ya', though I disagree.

Which does nothing to address her suggestion that she will lend items when an emergency arises and a boarder needs something stored at home. That sounds like as much work as policing who has a pile of crap hogging up floor space, frankly.

Bottom line, get used to the idea of being the management and saying what you mean, meaning what you say and repeating yourself, repeatedly

Of course there will be those who take more than they are allotted.
                                          That does not change that the things we buy for our horses, especially items for incidental use when there's an issue like a fat leg... are most useful kept near the horse.
                                          Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Working...
                                          X