Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Anyone REGRET getting a 2+1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I might be an outlier, LOL. My last trailer was a 2+1 and it was lovely, a C&C model that was mostly overkill for the 1 horse I had at the time. On the plus side, I could easily pack to go anywhere for pretty much any length of time - that side ramp was fantastic for loading big heavy things like trunks, for example, or scooters and so on. And it provided a lot of space for a wheelbarrow or lots of hay.

However, when I bought my current trailer, I went back to a 2H GN with a nice separate dressing room. I occasionally miss the side ramp. But I never miss the length of my old trailer and love, love, love how much easier it is to maneuver my current rig. And even now that I am usually hauling 2 horses, I find I have plenty of room to pack what I need. To each her own, I guess.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
      I guess I might be an outlier, LOL. My last trailer was a 2+1 and it was lovely, a C&C model that was mostly overkill for the 1 horse I had at the time. On the plus side, I could easily pack to go anywhere for pretty much any length of time - that side ramp was fantastic for loading big heavy things like trunks, for example, or scooters and so on. And it provided a lot of space for a wheelbarrow or lots of hay.

However, when I bought my current trailer, I went back to a 2H GN with a nice separate dressing room. I occasionally miss the side ramp. But I never miss the length of my old trailer and love, love, love how much easier it is to maneuver my current rig. And even now that I am usually hauling 2 horses, I find I have plenty of room to pack what I need. To each her own, I guess.
      I regret not buying your C&C when I left CT (and needed a moving van anyway).
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

I regret not buying your C&C when I left CT (and needed a moving van anyway).
        It was a nice trailer!
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

It was a nice trailer!
          I never saw it, but I'm sure it was.

BTW, I still have my 1999 2H DR BP, C&C. It still does the job admirably and paid for. A great, great trailer for The Proletariat.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I got my 4Star 2+1 in December (upgraded from a 2H BP) and my only regret is not getting it sooner. Its so easy to drive and to work out of. With a short box truck its a piece of cake to manuver and back (I was worried I wouldn't be able to turn it around behind around our barn in the small area we have).
            "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
              I got my 4Star 2+1 in December (upgraded from a 2H BP) and my only regret is not getting it sooner. Its so easy to drive and to work out of. With a short box truck its a piece of cake to manuver and back (I was worried I wouldn't be able to turn it around behind around our barn in the small area we have).
              What do you mean by a short box truck? A short bed? I had always heard that short bed trucks could cause you to hit yourself around a sharp turn. Have you had any trouble with that?

Comment

Love mine. I have a growing 16.3 horse who fits well and can easily walk off through the box.

Comment

Lucassb Do the trunks go in the dressing room?

If so, yos, make sure to measure that door. It will look wide if it's will be big enough to admit a full-size tack trunk.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by BK6756 View Post

What do you mean by a short box truck? A short bed? I had always heard that short bed trucks could cause you to hit yourself around a sharp turn. Have you had any trouble with that?
                    Bed. Typed too fast. And nope. And I’ve turned it pretty darn tight to park it behind my barn.
                    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I LOVE our 2+1...actually, I designed ours using the basic 5 horse slant box (7 wide/8 tall)...so ours is/can be a 2+2. Over sized stalls with a full rear ramp and a curb side, front ramp. Normally when hauling two horses we front load and back into forward facing stalls. A third or even a 4th horse side loads into extra wide slant stalls...far enough from the straight loaded horses to prevent and touching/biting. It is wayyyyy more convenient than the big 4 horse, head to head when I only need 2 horses moved and occasionally a third! I'd never part with ours!! We also have a full dressing room.
                      www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

I have a 2 horse bumper pull straight-load with a front unload ramp. I love it. Make that, I LOVE IT!!!! (surrounded by heart emojis)

Mine is an Equispirit. I went with a tack closet rather than full dressing room because I don't really need the dressing room and it allowed me to get a bit shorter trailer. But, they come with full dressing rooms if you want one.
                        NoSuchPerson I am seriously considering upgrading my 2H BP straight load with dressing roam to a bigger BP trailer with front ramp. I've wanted a 2+1 for a long time but I am having a lot of hesitation on moving up to a GN. I am looking at 18' long BP. Everyone talks about how much easier a GN is to haul, but I don't know. BP is so easy to hook up, so quick around town....
                        I don't want to haul more than two horses but would like to haul two mares with their foals... I'm wondering with the BP front ramp if I could make that work.

To the OP, I hate hate angle hauls. I've known several people who got pretty hurt by a horse in an angle haul with that big swinging divider. Also, I hate that you can't access all horses at once without unloading the front horses.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post

Mine too (trailers USA brand), and I love it. No tack room, but about 103" in front of the stud doors, and also 8'0 wide. But I don't use the +1 area for horses, loading or unloading, so that area is effectively a huge tack room. Also, the center divider is on a movable track and I have butt/chest bars that split 50/50 and a set that is about 70/30 (or just slide it ask the way over) so there is plenty of room to stage out of there if I need to.
                          DMK I'm trying to picture your trailer. It's a 2H BP with front ramp, but you could potentially configure it to two small box stalls if you wanted to?

Comment

Lucassb Do the trunks go in the dressing room?

If so, yos, make sure to measure that door. It will look wide if it's will be big enough to admit a full-size tack trunk.
                            mvp I've always put my (nice) trunks in the dressing room. Even on stock versions of the trailers I've had, the doors have always been wide enough. Hmmmmm.
                            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

mvp I've always put my (nice) trunks in the dressing room. Even on stock versions of the trailers I've had, the doors have always been wide enough. Hmmmmm.
                              Good to know! Some of those doors look too narrow to me. Hmmmmm....
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Good to know! Some of those doors look too narrow to me. Hmmmmm....
                                We put four of those Stanley trunks in my 2+1 dresser this winter - they fit fine through the standard door.
                                Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I don't have one, I don't want to have to haul around that much trailer every single time I go somewhere. I do know 2 people who had 2+1 s and got rid of them for that reason. Both were big ones with fancy tack rooms, etc, & very heavy.

I do like the idea of them & can see why people like them, I just don't want that. I'm very happy with my 2H BP with dressing room though, it does everything I want, fits just about anywhere, hauls lovely, simple, easy to maintain, horses like it. Maybe if I was one of those people who just eject money every time they sneeze & could own 2 trailers & a dedicated tow vehicle...but nope.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by winter View Post

DMK I'm trying to picture your trailer. It's a 2H BP with front ramp, but you could potentially configure it to two small box stalls if you wanted to?
                                    A picture is probably worth a few words. Yes you could, but I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of a bp with that much potential weight shifting. Now my stall divider is on a sliding rack and I do ship with the scooter in a very narrow stall and Xan in a mini box, but he's a large pony and the back box is over the axles. Shifting weight near the tongue seems like a bad idea. But here's the trailer, empty and packed up for the drive home this weekend.
                                    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

DMK Thank you for the pictures!!! How long is this trailer?
                                      What a dreamy configuration, I love it! I am thinking for two mares and foals, I could load the mares straight and have the two foals in front of them in the +1... so not too much weight up front. I am seriously going to look for this instead of the giant GN 2+1 I was thinking of. I really don't want that big of a trailer.
                                      I wonder about doing it as you have or still having a separate tack room up front....
                                      Also, wonderful to have the moveable centre divider.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post

Also, it truly IS a "+1" which typically means stud doors (or room for stud doors). Otherwise it is just a 2 horse with a side ramp and some extra room.
                                        That's what I want. I would never see myself hauling 3. But I would love to have both back doors and a side door and lots of extra heardoom/storage space.

*covet*

~Veronica
                                        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by winter View Post
                                          DMK Thank you for the pictures!!! How long is this trailer?
                                          What a dreamy configuration, I love it! I am thinking for two mares and foals, I could load the mares straight and have the two foals in front of them in the +1... so not too much weight up front. I am seriously going to look for this instead of the giant GN 2+1 I was thinking of. I really don't want that big of a trailer.
                                          I wonder about doing it as you have or still having a separate tack room up front....
                                          Also, wonderful to have the moveable centre divider.
                                          It's 21 feet on the floor, so probably a little over 22 feet total. The stalls are about 4" shorter than a wb box, but since it is 8' wide, it really has more room. The head area is 30" instead of 36" but that's overkill for most horses. If it isn't, I can lock the doors open.

I don't think you could add a tack room, or more accurately, I wouldn't have wanted it too much longer. But I did think about this configuration without stud doors and a tack closet in the nose with a door on the nose. I came up with the shelf idea and went with the doors instead because that gives me so much more storage room. I also had it wired for power so I can live in it at shows.

Also, I do not believe I'll ever buy a trailer that isn't 8'0 ever again. Between that, the nose shelf and the sliding divider (I have 2 sets of butt bars, and pony and horse settings) I've finally reached trailer nirvana. But the 8' wide is so much more stable. I'll get around to putting an equilizer hitch on the truck, but since I picked it up in late jan it's had over 2600 miles on it, most of them out of state highway miles and it pulls really well. The only day that was not fun was going through high winds and tornado warnings, but all of our friends coming out of Tryon with GN were not enjoying the driver either.

The sliding divider is awesome it takes me less than 2 minutes to change the config. I highly recommend it, but I think the only manufacturers who get it are those that build the custom rigs for driving people.

Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Working...
                                          X