Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

cropped cottage
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Biting Horse Flies - Any solution that won't bankrupt us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biting Horse Flies - Any solution that won't bankrupt us?

Last summer/fall we had a horrible issue with biting horse flies (much worse than normal). Not talking about regular small house flies, I'm taking about the hummingbird sized horse flies that bites draw blood and hurt like %&#$@. One of my geldings actually got a sore near the head of his man parts that took forever to heal. Vet said it was most likely caused by horse fly bites. Boy would I like to find some solution to avoid that again this year!

I've never found any spray, roll-on or cream effective against the big biting horse flies. But maybe there is something new that I am not familiar with... and something that won't cost $$$ to implement. Any suggestions?
    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Zebra print fly sheets with belly bands and neck hoods?

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, fly sheets won't cover my geldings nether regions... and zebra pint? Is there really such a thing? Does that confuse the flies? lol
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Use their size against them. Find some high powered fans for your stalls, and turn out at night.

Interesting website; https://www.fliesonly.com/how-to-get...f-horse-flies/

https://getyourbug.com/
        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

They are outside 24/7 (they do have sheds - but no electric run to my pastures). I would love to have fans in the sheds in summer to give them some relief, if not from insects, the stifling midday heat. If solar ever gets down low enough for our budget, that's the first project on my list.

Comment

These fly traps _work_ but they are not cheap: http://www.bitingflies.com/

SWAT ointment is the only thing I've found for those 'difficult' areas. The pink stuff, and keep applying it. (Also not cheap...)

--
            Wendy
            ... and Patrick

Comment

Here's another biting fly trap that's a little cheaper than the Horse Pal:

https://bitingflytrap.com/

And one more:

https://horse-fly-trap.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

AH! That's the trap I remember reading about last year, and couldn't find the thread wsmoak . Good to know there is a less expensive version Simkie . Wonder how well it works?

Interesting reading about those traps... explains a lot. The two horses that are bombarded with the giant horse flies are both black. The pony, who is light brown, does not have the same problem.

I have used SWAT before - but around eyes and ears. Never though to use it on a sheath. But I suppose if there are no warnings to not use it in "delicate" regions, that would certainly be better than nothing, and being bitten on the willy!

Comment

More info about the traps:

https://www.spalding-labs.com/produc.../p/h_trap.aspx

That H Trap looks like it might be the best bet? Not cheap!

Comment

• Original Poster

Here's the original study (referenced by Spalding labs on their site), in case anyone else is looking for a horse fly solution like me. Done by the USDA ARS. Interesting.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pu...eqNo115=342876

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                      AH! That's the trap I remember reading about last year, and couldn't find the thread wsmoak . Good to know there is a less expensive version Simkie . Wonder how well it works?

Interesting reading about those traps... explains a lot. The two horses that are bombarded with the giant horse flies are both black. The pony, who is light brown, does not have the same problem.

I have used SWAT before - but around eyes and ears. Never though to use it on a sheath. But I suppose if there are no warnings to not use it in "delicate" regions, that would certainly be better than nothing, and being bitten on the willy!
                      Slather the sheath area with SWAT or Flys Off (exact same thing just has a picture of a dog on the label instead of a horse...and significantly cheaper). Or use generic desiten (tends to run more than SWAT/Flys Off but DOES work).

Be careful with fly sheets. I'll NEVER use them again when the giant bugs come out. My old incredibly stoic TB almost killed himself when one got trapped under the sheet. He just lost it and tore around trying to get the bug off of him and he couldn't because it was stuck - scary as hell to watch.

My current TB will just stay inside her shed when those bugs are out. They don't like dark places so sheds are perfect.
                      "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

You can definitely coat his nether regions in SWAT.
                        "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                        carolprudm

Comment

• Original Poster

Looks like the Flies-Off is $1 cheaper per 7oz tub than the SWAT is on Amazon. Both are made by Farnum and seem to have the exact same ingredients. Guess they figure they can suck an extra $1 out of us horse people for the same product? So thanks ryansgirl for bringing that product to my attention!

Comment

Whenever I think of moving to those southern areas with horses and pastures, a thread like this reminds me that SoCal isn't so bad... lol. I cannot imagine and enjoyable trail ride with those things around!

Comment

I also slather sheaths with swat. Too humid here for fly sheets when the monsters come out. My horses have learned to use me as a tool by "bringing" me their horseflies to kill - which is a little unnerving when 16.2 Tb gallops up to you & flings his butt your way while he is bucking madly going "MOMMMM, KILLL IT WITH UR MAGIC HUMAN HANDSSSS!"
                              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Zebra fly sheets.

https://www.bucas.com/product/buzz-off-zebra-6/

Though I agree the ldea of a bee or big horse fly getting under a fly sheet is scary.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                  Zebra fly sheets.

https://www.bucas.com/product/buzz-off-zebra-6/

Though I agree the ldea of a bee or big horse fly getting under a fly sheet is scary.
                                  And I really thought you were pulling my leg! But @ $155.00, I think I'll pass. It's another $25 for the matching fly mask.

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                                    Looks like the Flies-Off is $1 cheaper per 7oz tub than the SWAT is on Amazon. Both are made by Farnum and seem to have the exact same ingredients. Guess they figure they can suck an extra $1 out of us horse people for the same product? So thanks ryansgirl for bringing that product to my attention!
                                    https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...unds-and-sores

I always bought it from Drs. Fosters & Smith and it was around $5/jar but I'd wait until they sent an email with 15-20% off your order thing and then stock up. They actually had it on clearance last year for $1.99/jar so I bought two cases (I'm set for a long time!).

Apparently when Petco bought them out they raised their prices .
                                    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

The Horse Pal traps really do work if you can get them in the right location. We usually put the trap in whatever field we have rotated off of, and sometimes I have to move it to start catching things. I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing those big fat bombers in the top baking in the sun .

And I bought one of the Bucas zebra print fly sheets for my gelding who is super sensitive to bugs. I got it on clearance maybe 2 years ago and have never used it. Maybe I'll give it a whirl this season, but the last few years I haven't bothered with fly sheets.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good to know from real world users that the large traps work. We'll start a fund for one. In the mean time, I've got a few jars of the Fly-Off coming. Horse Flies haven't appeared yet in our neck of the woods, but I imagine it will be soon with the warm weather we've been having.

Comment

Working...
                                        X