• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A discussion about LGDs, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A discussion about LGDs, the good, the bad and the ugly!

A cougar took my favorite goat two months ago. I acquired an Anatolian Shepherd, Timber. Now, I love that dog, but he only focuses on HIS goat and not so much on the rest of my herd. Before I spend $2000.00 on another puppy, I'd like to hear about other LGDs, why you love them or why you don't. Do tell!
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

I house sat for some people for 6 months, and got to know all their animals as if they were my own.
    Titan was a Maremma. He knew to protect his goats and horses. He lived with the horses in a huge gravel paddock that he had a dog shed attached to where he could go in to get out of the weather. The goats lived in a separate paddock, but we still never had any issues with any wildlife.
    Unfortunately Titan barked at everything and had a pretty nervous disposition, which lead him to bloat 3 days before his owners got home. He was still under two years old.
    I would without a doubt recomend a maremma. They shed like the no tomorrow and have a tendency to jump fences (was fixed with an electric fence barrier collar), but while the neighbours had issues with cougars, bears and coyotes, I never saw anything but his big, white, goofy face. Even though I he wasn't mine, I miss him everyday!

Comment

I had a great Pyrenees and was adopted by a stray. I ended up rehoming both of them to a goat dairy. It's been almost a month now. I have had a couple of reports at first but nothing lately. So no news is good news. They had a few bumps in the road that were not unexpected. I told them as much as I could about the 2 dogs and their quirks. I wanted to rehome the stray who was VERY unsocialized and therefore difficult to handle and felt he would have an easier time with the other dog.

GPs come in 2 types one type patrols and one stays and guards . They have taken on these rolls in their new home as well. How you would tell in a puppy which they would be I don't know.

The two things I can say for sure about GPs is they bark... A lot. That is their number one defense. Esp at night. (marking their territory with LARGE piles of poo is another defense). The other thing is they can get out of anything IF they so desire. They can climb, or dig through most anything. So keep those things in mind.

That in a nutshell is what I know about LGDs

Comment

I have working Border Collies and therefore know lots and lots of folks with sheep and LGDs. The best bet is to buy an adult dog that is already known to have the working characteristics you desire. If you buy a pup you have to be absolutely certain you introduce them to the stock the correct way, part of which involves discouraging them from interacting with and bonding with you, which can be heartbreaking because what's cuter than an LGD pup?

There are probably Yahoo email lists you can sign on to for information about LGDs Most of the LGDs I've known (Maremmas and GPs for the most part) will woof at strangers and in times of danger (i.e., coyotes) but are pretty quiet the rest of the time. A good LGD will protect his WHOLE flock. Sometimes they work well in pairs.

Anatolians tend to be more aggressive than the big white fluffy guys and do better on larger acreage in more sparsely-populated areas. My friends who live back in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions and keep sheep on smaller properties tend to have the big white fluffy guys for this reason. They are more human-friendly than the Anatolians and don't usually patrol quite as far.
        MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hastyreply View Post
          I had a great Pyrenees and was adopted by a stray. I ended up rehoming both of them to a goat dairy. It's been almost a month now. I have had a couple of reports at first but nothing lately. So no news is good news. They had a few bumps in the road that were not unexpected. I told them as much as I could about the 2 dogs and their quirks. I wanted to rehome the stray who was VERY unsocialized and therefore difficult to handle and felt he would have an easier time with the other dog.

That in a nutshell is what I know about LGDs
          I'm quite familiar with the pros and cons of the major LGDs. I have great fencing, I don't have a coyote problem, I need a dog that will keep cougars at bay. The Anatolian I have now doesn't bark unless there's something worthwhile to bark at, and that I love about him. But he wasn't raised right, he and his goat were raised in a large-ish kennel together. So my big Anatolian Shepherd is only concerned with protecting HIS goat, not the whole herd that I have in my pasture. Hence my questions about LGDs. I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, and since I have had an Anatolian I'm rather sold on the breed. I'm shopping for a puppy, and since they're rather expensive pups, I want to make the best choice and not have buyer's remorse down the road.
          On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
          RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

Comment

I've had two Pyrs. The second had to be rehomed abruptly when I broke my ankle shortly after I got her but the first was great, protected goats sheep and above all HIS horse, my 37 year old gelding. He laid down and died a few weeks after we had to put the gelding down.

The only time he would leave his herd was when I went riding (on a younger horse)
            I wasn't always a Smurf
            Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Beer View Post
              I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, and since I have had an Anatolian I'm rather sold on the breed. I'm shopping for a puppy, and since they're rather expensive pups, I want to make the best choice and not have buyer's remorse down the road.
              Sounds pretty simple then. If it must be a puppy, make sure it's from a good working (not show) breeder and imprint it correctly on the entire goat herd this time. Should work fine.
              MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Comment

Hi, Melanie! I clicked on your link and saw the pic of you and Fly. I remember you from the BCBoards - I was (am) painted ponies over there.

OP - sorry I don't know anything about Anatolians. Everybody I know either has pyrs or maremma.
                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Anybody have experience with Lamas for protection of livestock?
                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Right as I moved into my last boarding barn, there was a situation with the llamas. She had 2 in the paddock with a couple of foals she had just weaned. Hubby's 3 white GSDs went after the foals and the llamas did their job! Unfortunately a little too well for the llamas... they got between the GSDs and the foals. One foal needed a couple stitches but the other was unscratched. Both llamas were too hurt to survive. The GSDs left within 2 days (not soon enough IMHO but at least they left).
                    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Originally posted by Root Beer View Post
                      ...., I need a dog that will keep cougars at bay. The Anatolian I have now doesn't bark unless there's something worthwhile to bark at, and that I love about him. But he wasn't raised right, he and his goat were raised in a large-ish kennel together. So my big Anatolian Shepherd is only concerned with protecting HIS goat, not the whole herd that I have in my pasture. Hence my questions about LGDs. I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, .......
                      are you sure? as in, have you lost any of your other goats to cougars since you've had the Anatolian?
                      Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

Saw this ad today ---looking for home for Anatolian, but it is in Florida.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/pet/1895564246.html

Comment

Working...
                        X