Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Really weird idea: letter of intent for potential boarders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny how people get so offended when they hear things that are contrary to what they want to hear. It's great that OP has a small fortune right now. So how much is that small fortune earning wherever it's invested? What is the ROI? If you take that money and put it into a horse boarding/trading facility, what is the projected RIO? Which is higher? Or are these questions not thoughtful and helpful enough? SMH.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Original Poster

I didn't want to hear any particular advice re: a letter, was just brainstorming ... other than I wanted sound, reasoned, non-emotional dialogue and that just doesn't seem to happen save for a few posters. But thanks for your concern about my financial situation!

Comment

Back to brainstorming - With the exception of the posts about one person obtaining a loan using letters of intent and the advance payment for puppies - responses seem to be trending away from the idea.

You're really talking about supply and demand and creating a demand for your product in a market where supply is limited. That is a nice position to be in. You can call it a letter of demand or a waiting list. If your property allows for adding additional barns, you can build your business plan to layout a rollout for your construction.

You could start by answering the question: How big is too big? How much of your property do you want to dedicate to your horse operation? How much of your space do you want to dedicate to your own horses vs boarders? I do agree with the poster that said '..nobody ever complains about having too much storage space." That allows for space that can be converted if demand grows and you want to accommodate that demand. Course, it's more cost-effective to build out from the beginning.

You have several stages of development for this project. You're in the concept stage. Perfect place to plug in your marketing plan as your project proceeds. I'd think about a waiting list in lieu of a letter of intent. It isn't always "If you build it, they will come" (ode to Phil Alden Robinson). Some very, slick, 4-color ads "Opening in the Summer of 2020" or some such and a link to sign up for the waiting list. Build an e-mail list and keep your prospects updated as construction proceeds. Create a website.

People are not likely going to want to switch barns in the middle of show season. Keep that timing aspect in mind.
        When you are at the point when you know that absolutely nothing else can go wrong and delay your opening - that is the time when you can tie down your commitments from prospective boarders and require advance deposits to reserve space.

And, since you have the dough, think about private lockers for tack. You control the locks - but folks know their tack is secure.

I'm looking back at forty. Those were great years. May I suggest that if you entitle a thread "..really weird idea... . " you shouldn't be all that surprised if some folks agree with you? Great project. Have fun.

Comment

OP I think you can answer your own question. Would you be willing to sign a letter of intent and if so under what conditions? If not, well there's your answer.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's exactly right ... I didn't expect or think most would agree with the letter idea. That's why I titled the thread that way. Just was surprised (I don't know why, however?) when people started making assumptions and implying I had done zero market research or had no idea whether people were even interested or not. Definitely thought the letter of intent idea was a wild one, hence the thread title. My lawyer confirmed this morning. otherwise, thanks for your thoughtful advice. I don't mind the original idea being thoughtfully shot down; I do, however, mind the implied sense I am a total novice without me actually stating such, the inference that I am solely out to make a profit, and the idea that I would be taking out astronomical loans without any mention of such. The know it alls never cease to amaze me. To answer the final wild wpecilatiin about my trainer, I have one on board, contract signed. The helpful advice from those who have maybe been there and done that are truly valuable though so thanks. What is hard to understand about the fact I simply wanted to know if other had done or had heard of a letter of intent for potential customers? I don't know.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
              OP I think you can answer your own question. Would you be willing to sign a letter of intent and if so under what conditions? If not, well there's your answer.
              Actually, I completely would. That's where I got the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post

A letter of intent has no particular legal authority unless it amounts to a contract. In that sense it's a nothing when it comes to asking for financing or any other support from some third party. If it were accompanied by a non-refundable deposit on goods or services NOW it might have some real "legs" with banks et al.

G.
                Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

Then it may work if you structure it so that it is appealing to perspective boarders with any conditions that you, as a boarder, would like met.

For me a big one would be a refundable deposit under certain circumstances like death of a horse, loss of job, relocation due to job, things like that.

Comment

Wow! No profit?!?! You must really love to go through audits Good luck with your creative ideas.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Callista17 View Post
                      Wow! No profit?!?! You must really love to go through audits Good luck with your creative ideas.
                      No profit FROM THE BOARDING. Sales and leases only. Get a life, you people truly suck and need to go volunteer at the soup
                      kitchen. Or as a pm just pointed out, maybe you are jealous. Seriously if you aren't being helpful (or at least intelligent) what's the point of posting?

Comment

No profit FROM THE BOARDING. Sales and leases only. Get a life, you people truly suck and need to go volunteer at the soup
                        kitchen. Or as a pm just pointed out, maybe you are jealous. Seriously if you aren't being helpful (or at least intelligent) what's the point of posting?
                        I have a life, and a profitable one. Don't ask for advice if you can't graciously accept it. Sales and leases are great! I look forward to your posts about your financial troubles and audits. I can see how you are trying to get people to sign on before coming to your barn to work with you and have you take care of their horses!

Comment

I think the idea posted above of creating a waiting list, a website, etc. and keeping people on board and eager is the best idea. I know in my area, boarding facilities with quality training programs are in very, very short supply-- especially those with a good sized indoor (PNW weather), turnout and quality care/feed. Board is not profitable unless linked with training/trainer with a good clientele.

I would not sign a letter of intent without a trainer (mine or one I would move to) involved. I would put myself on a waiting list IF the promises were real-- barn/arena/care/etc. REALLY were built and done at the time promised. Too many barns say they are doing X, but it never happens.

Good luck OP-- it sounds like you know what you are doing and will have some success ahead of you! (Wish you were iin my neighborhood....)
                          Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I think you might have a hard time keeping boarders if this is your normal reaction to people.

Comment

I was in a situation where there was an expectation of a letter of intent with a down payment attached. People who signed a letter of intent (and paid a month's board in advance of the operation starting up) were offered a contract where they were written in at a reduced board rate for the first 12 month period of board.

To me, it was too risky. The equine professional driving the plan wanted those down payments to help defray overhead costs, which I get. However the nature of the plan at large led to a major potential of "over promise, under deliver". I did not sign (and did not board with them). Ultimately, the idea fell flat on its face despite having people sign on and pay in advance. I assume they refunded people that money though have no personal awareness of the fallout either way.

In a position like this I would probably start at basics. What is max capacity that the land can sustain, based on the type of turn out you want to provide? (All weather dirt lots often seem an easier set up to house more horses than primarily pasture, for example.) From there, I would work backwards. What's the max amount of space you want to lose to client storage? Max amount of time/staff/wages you want to put into hosting clients?

OTOH, you can also look at what volume makes it worthwhile - buying things in bulk and storing (hay is huge for this) can be far more cost effective depending on location.

Rather than building a facility around interest (as the professional I knew attempted) I would recommend building what you can comfortably sustain. If you end up having a waiting list for stalls, good for you! That ends up being a nice security to have, with some inevitable client flow. You can avoid overbuilding and overspending this way, so long as you find the sweet spot for what size makes it most cost efficient from a building perspective.

Comment

Not to the OP specifically but more generally ... what is this "market research" so many of you speak of as preferable to the "letter of intent"?

True "market research" is not easily done on something like a boarding barn. Products that regularly have market research have a time-tested protocol in place and past stats to compare. There is a history of what results were valid indicators and what did not prove out in the market. The research is compiled by experienced researchers and analysts who are specialists in that field.

Boarding barns are not one of those products, unless there is an area where boarding barns are hiring market researchers. There are certainly some good stats that can be pursued and termed "market research" for boarding barns. How many local horse events, what is their attendance, what do people spend, what other local board barns and their size and rates, etc.

But without history on the research, what worked as an indicator and what didn't, the results will just be information. They won't be a clear indicator of a "go" or "no go" decision.

Personally I think exploring other more specific means of gauging the level of interest was a good idea.

Comment

OP - so if you really expected nothing from this board and found only one post of value -- why waste everyone's time asking in the first place? People of goodwill offered their thoughts. That's what this board is about. They don't deserve your insults because you don't like what they said, based on the limits you deliberately placed on your information. I think you owe it to yourself, as well as the board, to at least be polite. No one was trying to be less than polite to you, just offer their honest feedback based on their relevant experience.

Comment

No response to the OP because it's a beautiful sunny day and we are in between snow storms, and I have the day off...

But imagine if you would the pleasure of having a tiny fortune to spend building a barn in a high-demand area, and also assume the tiny fortune gets you into some decent horses for sales/leasing... To me that actually sounds heavenly.
                                    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Perhaps one idea would be to create a waiting list and offer a limited number of incentives for people to move in right away. Perhaps 6 months at reduced rates, or an extra service, or something. If I were in your market, and you and/or your trainer had a good reputation, I would be willing to move in when you opened. A modest discount would seem fair payment for the inconvenience of being among the first, because people do need a bigger sense of humor during the shake-out cruise, so to speak.

That might accomplish the same thing as a letter of intent. If you've asked me to put down a deposit to hold my place line, so to speak, there would need to be provisions to protect both of us in case something happens. As in, my horse dies or you find out I'm bat**** crazy and you don't want me anywhere near your place.

Your project sounds lovely, and it sounds like you're going in with the right expectations. Good luck!

Comment

i have a dilemma. I am building a barn due to popular demand in my area and to service my own needs. I am trying to decide between 15, 20 or 25 stalls. I was thinking 15 but then people started coming out of the woodwork saying "if you are building in that area, count me in! Definitely save me a stall!"
                                        well we all know how people are prone to flake. I want to get my barn started and I don't want additional co at ruction at a later date as this is also going to run as a very professional sales barn. Has anyone ever heard of asking boarders to sign some type of letter of intent? Is that crazy? Thanks for any advice.
                                        I also live in an area where demand is high and supply is limited; most (good) barns have waiting lists and often boarders basically need referrals from other boarders or their trainer to get a stall when one becomes available (ie, the waiting list is not necessarily managed on a FIFO basis.)

That said, I have never heard of a barn asking for a LOI or similar document, and would not sign one myself for a facility under construction. I would be concerned that the ask was an indication of potential financial instability and would also worry about whether the promised amenities would actually be delivered as promised. Please note OP, before you react to that statement, that I am not suggesting that *you* are not fully able to fund your facility nor suggesting you won't deliver on whatever facility description you have offered your potential boarders. I am merely telling you why I would not personally consider committing to a facility prior to being able to actually SEE the facility and judge the care, etc.

Best of luck with your project.
                                        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

OP, I can't advise you specifically but will tell you what I am doing.

I have an existing small boarding facility with 8 horses, 4 of which are boarders. I am adding a very nice indoor and an additional barn area as well (as an addition, not in the indoor but attached and some additional fencing). I have decided to cap at 15 capacity but I am really targeting 12. That is something I can manage myself on a daily basis.

i have done this for a number of reasons. First, I do not want to rely on a daily employee. That raises costs substantially if you do it right. It is also a PITA.

I also don't want my private home to become a zoo. Right now my boarders are mostly retirees. The additional horses will likely be part of a small training program. I don't want a million lessons, etc. the rest of my family is not horsey at all, and I want the farm to feel like a home. 3-4 additional owners only will preserve the private feel. I am also very selective, only take experienced people with no drama.

i also am realistic and my top of the market prices will not work for more than a subset of local riders. Honestly, most of my retiree boarders are long distance from high COL areas who want a personal touch for their retirees, and full service like blanketing, hoof picking, free choice hay and private meals, etc. I am not willing to take a loss or compromise on horse care standards. I can also preserve my amateur status because there is no temptation to ride them, they are retired!

So for me, the 12-15 number works. My family farm where I grew up is the same (dad has 14 now).

i have out feelers out and at the risk of being premature could have all my new stalls filled. But if that doesn't work out, I am confident I can find other clients. I wouldn't do a LOI. I mean, who knows what anyone's circumstances will be in 6-8 months when I am ready to open the new barn.

I do make a small profit on the boarders but have a few sales horses. Unfortunately I have had some bad luck in the past on a couple projects. I am definitely INTENDING to make a profit but man plans, the horse gods laugh. That is good enough for the IRS. Everything I own is for sale for a good offer except the mare my kids ride (and I may well let an in house trainer use her for lessons for a percentage).

Comment

Working...
                                          X