• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pennsylvania Equestrian - Barn Full of Kittens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Equestrian - Barn Full of Kittens

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.co...of-Kittens.php

A great story about barn cats.

Great and informative article. Thanks!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

• Original Poster

Mine is among the reader submitted stories with my late horse Nomad's photo with his cat Connie.

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.co...er-Stories.php

Comment

Great stories--thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm so glad you liked them, hope it helps the kitties too. There are so many needing homes right now.

Originally posted by BasqueMom View Post
          Great stories--thanks for sharing!

Comment

Wonderful article and stories! Thanks for sharing.

Kim
            I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

• Original Poster

The article seems well received and I'm delighted. I hope you like Nomad and Connie too, though the photo doesn't show just how much in love Connie was with Nomad. I believe he was her everything. She likes me now but the another cat bullies her away from me, poor Connie.

I think this article is great because it has wonderful resources as well as the human interest stories. I volunteer for Forgotten Cats in Delaware. www.forgottencats.org They are trying to win the money from www.animalrescuesite.com shelter contest and they've been way ahead. With the most votes and it gives them $1,000 when they win. Since they've spayed or neutered over 40,000 cats in the past 6 years of their exisitence they've earned it and I know the founders and they don't take a dime, it's a true volunteer organization. I was at the clinic last night with 3 kittens getting spayed and neutered. They need homes and are so sweet. The mamma was semi feral and went to a local horse farm near the PA/MD line and she'll be loved, and she's getting very friendly. The kittens are in my bathroom recovering from surgery and I hope they can get into the Forgotten Cats Adoption Center at the local Pet Smart store in northern DE and on PetFinder.com too. They will go as house pets, not barns since they are super friendly and so sweet. Sometimes they purr as soon as I walk into the bathroom. One of them is shy. I named the bold and brave one Braveheart, the shy one is Trueheart (but Chickenheart might be more appropriate) and the little girl is named for the 93 year old lady Jane who's shed they were born under, she is Janie. Perhaps Sweetheart would be more appropriate but I wanted to honor the lady that tried to find them help and with her walker she would go out and feed mamma twice a day. I took them over to her house about a week ago so she could see them now that they are tame and she loved it. I don't know if she'll remember but at the time it made her happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

If you're in the Delaware area we have a lot of barn cats that need homes asap and we deliver and set up at your farm and loan crates if you need them, and appreciate getting them returned. We have a volunteer do all this and needless to say we always need more volunteers.

We will travel up to 2 hours from northern Delaware to most of NJ, north east, MD, eastern PA and maybe the very north of VA to deliver them.

This is Forgotten Cats www.forgottencats.org that I'm referrring to. Of course as the article says we also help trap cats and offer low cost spay and neuter. You can check the web site and contact the organization directly for that. But if you need barn cats you can tell me.

Comment

• Original Poster

bump, more readers, great article!

Comment

Good article - I sent the link to my BO. She is inundated. She traps/spays/neuters as much as she can, but it's a losing battle for her.

One boy did turn up this spring, and I'm in love with him - I can't have a house cat, but I'm bugging my landlord to let me bring him home as a mouser in her barn. I don't think he was always a stray - he's super friendly and chatty.
                    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
                    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

• Original Poster

They define feral cats as those that have never had human contact or not cared for by humans. A stray is one that did have human contact and either got lost or dumped. The stray has the best chance of being friendly pets. But I have cats in my house that were born to a feral mamma cat at my farm (she's spayed now) and you can see the difference but some try harder to be friendly than others. Then I have a cat that was born at a Amish farm, handled by their kids and the father was super friendly and the mother was pretty friendly and he is velcro and loves to meet new people and be held by total strangers. Considering that my other cats were feral kittens they are pretty nice with strangers. Someone told me that feral cats do not meow, but mine do, just not a lot. When they want food or to come inside the house or want attention they will call for me.

Originally posted by MyGiantPony View Post
                      Good article - I sent the link to my BO. She is inundated. She traps/spays/neuters as much as she can, but it's a losing battle for her.

One boy did turn up this spring, and I'm in love with him - I can't have a house cat, but I'm bugging my landlord to let me bring him home as a mouser in her barn. I don't think he was always a stray - he's super friendly and chatty.
                      Thanks for sending the article to your BO.

Comment

• Original Poster

If anyone is in PA who would get this paper this should be the end of availability to pick it up. I think the Pennsylvania Equestrian did a great service for cats by printing this article and I'm hoping that they get the kudos that they deserve.

Please let the editor know that you liked the story and are glad that they published it.

We have to help the kitties, there are so many. Yesterday I stopped at a Standardbred training barn which was built by a prominent trainer who has passed away a few years ago. I drove to the barn hoping to find someone and I found at least a dozen friendly cats and kittens and one mamma about to have a litter. The owner saw me and drove to the barn. She was a really sweet lady and she just couldn't handle the high price of sterilization at the vets and people kept dumping cats on her property. I told her that Forgotten Cats www.forgottencats.org could help and they will. Many of the cats were fighting upper respiratory infections, one super lovable kitten was missing an eye due to infection and he was beautiful and could easily be adopted into a good home but the missing eye makes him harder to place. The owner is very willing to accept the help from FC and I was thrilled. I will do a follow up visit and make it happen. She also told me that hunters from the woods next to the barn said that there were many feral cats in the woods. So now that's a trapping job, the TNR program can also help with that, at least stopping the growing birth rate and vaccinations. It's not ideal but it's an improvement. When FC finds feral cats that are very young we can try to tame them at least enough to be barn cats. Most horse farms do not want totally feral cats on their farm but when someone is willing to take them it's best for those cats.

Forgotten Cats and other similar organizations improve the lives of all cats wherever they are found. The story in the Pennsylvania Equestrian made that information available to a larger audience and COTH has allowed that audience to grow.

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to read it and hope you will contact your local organization and get involved, maybe take a couple cats to your farm, tell your BO, share it with your friends and maybe make a donation to your local TNR or rescue. Together we can help the cats.

Comment

Susan -

RE that gray boy that turned up at the barn - I was thinking I should have him tested for HIV and leukemia before investing the money into neuter and vax.

I feel pretty strongly that an outdoor cat that's positive for either should be euthed.

Does that make sense to you? I really want to give this guy a good home. He's just awesome, and I'm not really a cat person.
                          http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
                          I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

• Original Poster

Forgotten Cats doesn't euthanize cats unless they are suffering so a positive Feline Leukemia or Aides test and I forget which is worse, (get them confused) would not automatically cause them to euth them. They try to find them a contaminated colony to live with. Cats can live a long time with one of those, I think it's Feline Aides that isn't a death sentence necessarily.

Are you near Forgotten Cats locations? Or do you have another low cost clinic near you? The test costs $15 at our clinics, hopefully you can get that done reasonably too. Hoping for a good result. Please let me know what you hear. Hope he's clean, poor guy.

If I can be of any help feel free to email me regarding cats at TruckParts19311@aol.com

Originally posted by MyGiantPony View Post
                            Susan -

RE that gray boy that turned up at the barn - I was thinking I should have him tested for HIV and leukemia before investing the money into neuter and vax.

I feel pretty strongly that an outdoor cat that's positive for either should be euthed.

Does that make sense to you? I really want to give this guy a good home. He's just awesome, and I'm not really a cat person.

Comment

• Original Poster

URGENT PLEA FOR BARN HOMES-northern DE & north Philly area

Forgotten Cats has an urgent need to find homes for mass quantities of cats that have been sterilized, vaccinated, wormed and FIV tested.

If you can give a cat a barn home with food, water and shelter daily and are willing to go through the 3-4 weeks of confinement acclimation then please contact me asap if you are within about 2 hours of northern, DE or Willow Grove, PA.

TruckParts19311@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                              X