• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bat in the House

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bat in the House

Woke up in the middle of the night to a strange noise above my bed. Turned the lights on..... a bat was flying around above me. The room has high ceilings but all windows were closed and door is always closed. I quickly opened a window, closed the door and exited. Slept in another room.
    What now ? How do I find the critter and get rid of it ? Do I have to remove all drapes, etc. to locate it ?
    I am really creep-ed out !
    Thanks for any advice you might have !
    http://sporthorsesnw.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...01526589966216

Originally posted by Elfe View Post
    Woke up in the middle of the night to a strange noise above my bed. Turned the lights on..... a bat was flying around above me. The room has high ceilings but all windows were closed and door is always closed. I quickly opened a window, closed the door and exited. Slept in another room.
    What now ? How do I find the critter and get rid of it ? Do I have to remove all drapes, etc. to locate it ?
    I am really creep-ed out !
    Thanks for any advice you might have !
    So far, you have done everything wrong.

You should not have opened the window.

You should have left the room, the only thing you did right.

You should have called animal control to catch the bat and test it for rabies.

Unless you find the bat and test him, you MUST take the rabies shots because bat teeth are so small and so sharp that you can't tell that you have been bitten.

Every authoritative paper you can find on this subject will tell you that if you wake with a bat in the room, you must take the shots unless you can catch and test the bat and it is negative.

Because you opened the window, even if you find a bat in the house you can not be certain it is the same one.

You have a problem. Get with it.

CSSJR

Comment

What he said, unfortunately.

If you were awake the whole time, you'd have been fine (bats want to get out of the house, so open the windows, shut the doors and leave them to it), but because you were asleep, you do need to have rabies post-exposure treatment.

http://www.batconservation.org/content/Batproblems.html

Comment

Do you have a vented gas fired heater in the house? We have a Vermont Castings and after a bat got in our house, I traced the entry point to coming down the chimney and out through the completely open part on the "stove" where the vent pipe goes out. I fabricated a cover out of hardware cloth.
        www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Well, I've woken to bats in my room twice and lived to tell the tale. I'm sure Sutton is right..but I've always just opened the window wider and gently shooed the little feller out. Once, Mr. CC just tossed a towel over it, and put on leather gloves and took it outside.

I guess I live dangerously.

For the OP, just go into the room with a flashlight and the lights on and look EVERYWHERE for the bat. Every nook and cranny. Hopefully, no closet was open, or has a widish crack. Yes, shake your drapes etc. Good luck, they are scary little guys, even if they are super beneficial.

We have a low incidence of rabies here in the PNW, so maybe I've always felt pretty blase' about them.
          Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I was a bat rehabber. You did the correct thing by opening the window. By darkening the room, hopefully the bat got out on it's own. you can put gloves on and use a broom to gently open the curtains. they will perch as high as they can if still in the room. I have been bitten by many bats and it hurts like heck, there is no way anyone could NOT feel it. I had been vaccinated for the rabies virus at the time, and have only encountered one rabid bat in the 4 yrs i worked with them. Less than 1% of all bats have rabies. That said, you should read up on CDC protocol and do what you think is best.

Comment

Originally posted by Nezzy View Post
              I was a bat rehabber. You did the correct thing by opening the window. By darkening the room, hopefully the bat got out on it's own. you can put gloves on and use a broom to gently open the curtains. they will perch as high as they can if still in the room. I have been bitten by many bats and it hurts like heck, there is no way anyone could NOT feel it. I had been vaccinated for the rabies virus at the time, and have only encountered one rabid bat in the 4 yrs i worked with them. Less than 1% of all bats have rabies. That said, you should read up on CDC protocol and do what you think is best.
              I like bats as well and have several houses, only one of which is in use.

However, when one talks about "only" 1%.....

That is one in 100.

So if 1 in 100 of suffering a horrible death is OK with you.....

Pretty poor odds.

CSSJR

Comment

Originally posted by Nezzy View Post
                I have never been bitten by a bat but I have read of person's getting bit while asleep and not realizing they had been.

Until just before they died.

CSSJR

Comment

Originally posted by Elfe View Post
                  Turned the lights on..... a bat was flying around above me.
                  OMG, how did my mother in law get in your house?
                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

The noise of the creature coming into the room or out of its hiding place is what woke me up, I thought it was a bird on the roof or a mouse. So when it started flying around I was already awake. I am sure it did not bite me, I was well under the covers and it never came close enough.
                    After I left the room, the window was open all night.
                    Checked the room in day light, took all drapes off, could find no trace of it. It's a log house, the wood expands and contracts, it's hot and dry right now, I am sure it could find access somewhere.
                    I am giving the room a thorough cleaning, won't sleep there for a few days, just to be sure.
                    Re: animal control. I don't think they would come out in the middle of the night for a bat, if at all. I don't even know if there is animal control in my area.
                    Thanks for all the advice, will have to work on sealing the house.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                      Wow, she must be quite a traveler..... from Virginia to Washington State !!!!!!!!
                      Just to scare the $hit out of me ?????!!!!!!

Comment

Turn your AC down as far as it will go for at least 4 hours. Then use infrared goggles to locate Count Dracula. Then maybe try using a broom to encourage him to exit via the open window.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                          Turn your AC down as far as it will go for at least 4 hours. Then use infrared goggles to locate Count Dracula. Then maybe try using a broom to encourage him to exit via the open window.
                          No air conditioning here !
                          I don't have infrared anything, maybe I should see if Radio Shack carries those ?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post

My sister lived in a house where bats got into her bedroom all the time. She even woke up when one fell out of the sky on her.

They sold the house.

Comment

You need to seriously consider rabies vaccine and immune globulin. A lot of the mystery cases of rabies are bat rabies. CDC has a recommendation that anyone who was asleep in a room with a bat needs the vaccine and immune globulin.

Talk with the Health Department and an infectious disease MD. The rabies vaccine is not cheap, but is not usually a big deal. The immune globulin injections are unpleasant, but you only get them once. Do some reading such as: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/220967-overview and the CDC website.

We had a family come in to our clinic last year. They had just lost a family member to rabies from an unrecognized exposure. It was really sad.

You may find that you feel a great sense of relief once you have had the vaccine. Now that I've had vaccine, when I unexpectedly encounter foxes or stray dogs, or have bats fly millimeters above my head, I no longer cringe. We went to help out at a spay neuter clinic in Mexico this year. I was so happy that I didn't have to think about rabies, as many of the dogs brought to the clinic had not had vaccine.

Comment

JSwan, LMAO!
                                I've rescued many bats by just picking them up with a towel when they get tired. Yeah, I reckon I should've gotten shots, but never did. It's probably the safe route but I'm not inclined to be paranoid about such things. Keep in mind the public health messages about anything like this tend to be absolutist rather than a true/realistic risk assessment. Occult exposures are actually extraordinarily rare, and the poor little feller probably nearly had a heart attack when you woke up and left the room.

Comment

I didn't even read this thread yesterday but saw the thread title before I went to bed. Apparently that was all it took because there were six bats flying around my bedroom and one of them bit me twice so I had to kill it. I squished it with my fingers while it was wrapped in a bedsheet. Then I woke up! No more bat threads!
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Unfortunately, after talking to a bat rehabilitation lady in our area, already this thread shows a lot of misinformation. Unless the bat bites you, there is no real cause to be alarmed and think oh my gosh, rabies. Rabies is transmitted via the saliva of an infected animal, so if you were to catch the bat in a soft towel, your okay.

And also, when a bat gets rabies, they don't go after you or froth at the mouth, they go someplace dark, quiet and die. It is usually when they are in the dying process that we find them, hence why were told not to touch them.

Good luck finding out where they are coming in. Glad to hear you didn't kill it or go on a rampage against it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokenMirrors View Post
                                      Unfortunately, after talking to a bat rehabilitation lady in our area, already this thread shows a lot of misinformation. Unless the bat bites you, there is no real cause to be alarmed and think oh my gosh, rabies. Rabies is transmitted via the saliva of an infected animal, so if you were to catch the bat in a soft towel, your okay.

And also, when a bat gets rabies, they don't go after you or froth at the mouth, they go someplace dark, quiet and die. It is usually when they are in the dying process that we find them, hence why were told not to touch them.

Good luck finding out where they are coming in. Glad to hear you didn't kill it or go on a rampage against it.
                                      So a "bat rehabilitator" is the last word expert?

What is this person's credentials?

Perhaps both you and your expert bat person should read this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0506074445.htm

CSSJR

Comment

Actually, CSSJR is correct. Most cases of human rabies are from the bat strain. Most who became infected had NO recollection of any bat exposure. Yes, it IS possible to be bitten and not know it. If this happened while you were sleeping, and you do not receive post exposure shots, you will die of rabies. Are the chances great? No. Are you willing to bet your life on it? I would not be.

The injections are usually covered under your insurance. You will likely need to provide your doctor or local ER with the information from the CDC showing that having a bat in your room while you were sleeping IS a possible exposure, and that shots must be given to you. Please don't take this lightly - I don't want to read on COTH someday that 'Person dies of rabies, blah, blah, blah'. =)

There are bat removal services out there if you find you can't do it on your own. The local ACO may be able to help you - if the bat can be caught, it can be tested for rabies, and you may avoid needing to get shots. If it can't be caught, you'll need the post-exposure series.

Comment

Working...
                                        X