• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update! Still Lost our cat, but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update! Still Lost our cat, but...

Ok, Pippin has been gone now for 2 weeks+. His brother is pining away, bringing in all sorts of odd, dead or alive things. This is his way of telling us he's bored. So, today....

We hit the Oregon Humane Society, it was buy one, get one half off on kittens. We found an adorable gray tabby boy, very sweet and cuddly. Then, we found Curly. I have never seen a cat like him. He's an orange tabby, but his tail curls over his back, like a pug dogs!! All the time, not just occasionally. He's super playful, and gets along fine with our dogs. So, we've gotten back to our original number of cats, and these boys are staying indoors. I love the sound of little kitten feet thumping around the house. I'll do pictures tomorrow.

We have two (well, had) gorgeous flame point male cats, brothers 2 years apart. The baby, Pippin, who was a bit over a year old, did not come in this morning. They are free to go outside, we have a fully fenced farm, but they can and do squeeze through to our neighbor's land. He is very, very cautious, skittish and wary. But...no kitty this AM. His older brother is sticking close to us, but this is not the first "little brother" he's lost. We've called and looked, hoping he's holed up in a patch of blackberries or up a tree we can't see. The neighbor's farm is 100+ acres of tall grass, trees and blackberry thickets. We've called and looked and will continue to do so.

Jingles would help, if he's just hunkered down. Or...godspeed wee Pippin. I loved your orange tummy spot, I'll miss your freely offered opinion on everything, and the comfort you gave while I lived on the couch after my accident. I only had you a short while, not long enough by any measure. Please come home if you can.
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Aug. 6, 2010, 01:40 AM. Reason: Recent developments
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Hopefully he'll come home soon. Sending you all my good vibes.

Comment

Im so sorry ... and I am really hoping your next post is updating us that he has returned home safe and sound ...

Damned coyotes is right ...
      www.TrueColoursFarm.com
      www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

Electronic cat door, with magnet on collar. Expensive but worth it. Guaranteed raccoon proof. Allows only your cat(s) in. Adjustable timing on how long it stays open.
        It stopped male cats from coming in our house and raccoons who learned how to come in.
        I use http://www.solopetdoors.com/ which comes in sizes for large dogs down to cats and can be used in a human door, wall or patio.
        I've seen my cat being chased by another cat. My cat got in, the intruder had the door come down on him and backed out fast. (The door comes down on gravity pressure only, so it scares but doesn't hurt).

Comment

Jingles for Pippin to come home soon ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

come on pippin, massive jingles he comes home tonight. fwiw, our smitten kitten came home tonight after being gone since the first of the month. she is thin and oh so glad to be home. we have coyotes, fisher cats, racoons and a bad road, but here she is, purring up a storm next to me.
            i hope the same for you this time tomorrow.

Comment

Jingles he comes home!

Comment

Best wishes he still shows up.
                It's not unusual for cats to disappear for a week or so and then just show up again.
                Could be a predator or a car hit...but also could be anything from gone walkabout to got scared and took off and is still in hiding to wandered into a garage or building unseen and somebody closed him in.
                I had cats that disappeared for a week or more and the just show back up again. By then I'd have more grey hairs. Last cat who did that to me is sleeping right near me right now. She got "grounded" 7 years ago for scaring me and hasn't been out since.
                So prayers and good thoughts yours shows back up.
                Maybe also put up missing cat flyers around just in case. And call area pounds or vets.
                So sorry about this for you. It's a horrible rotten feeling.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

Hoping for the best for your kitty.
                  "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

if hes not done he will roam more

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                      if hes not done he will roam more
                      That sounded philosophical when I first read it. Then I re-read the "done". Yes, if he is not neutered he will continue to roam.

Comment

Don't forget to look UP! Last time one of ours didn't come home at night I found him the next afternoon high up a tree sitting on a huge shelf like fungus. Something had chased him up and he was waiting to be rescued.

Comment

Hoping he makes it home!!

We had a cat go missing for 4 days, but finally made it home

Your cat may just be hiding until the coast is clear...perhaps you could fiip-flop their schedule--in at night out at day...

Best of luck and a safe return to your little guy!!
                          I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Morning Jingles for Mr. Pippin to come home for breakfast this morning ~ Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
                            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

jingles for Pippin!!

we have a few coyotes out here, and it's one animal I'm pleased to see mashed in the road
                              There's coffee in that nebula.

Comment

put up cat fencing or keep them inside. At the very least make sure they are in at night.

Comment

• Original Poster

Still no Pippin. He's a neutered male (I won't have unaltered pets of either gender...well, mares...but..you get the picture). We will search again, but the neighbor's land is a mess of blackberries and thistles, so it is hard to move around. We are still hoping he's holed up, scared, as that is his nature. He is not one to miss any meals though, so maybe hunger will bring him home.

We shan't get another cat who isn't an indoor at night kind of guy or gal. We lock up our dogs, even though if they were out, they'd surely keep the coyotes and deer out of the area. One of our dogs is a wolfhound...fairly intimidating, but they bark incessantly (especially the Corgi).

Come on, Pipster, come home.
                                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Don't give up hope. We did lose one 2 years ago to an owl. The remaining cat was hunkered down in a culvert pipe all day until we finally found her. We got another barn cat (I like to have 2) and the new one is a wanderer. She's disappeared for several days at a time, but the last time was gone for 2 weeks. We had give up hope, but one morning there was a very thin and hungry cat waiting at the barn door. She must have been shut in somewhere. She no longer wanders very far!

Comment

I have one that disappears once a year or so. Every time he does it I'm sure that he's been picked off by a coyote or a cougar. The last time he disappeared for 5 days.

But every time he shows back up with sap in his fur. He's the climber of my two boys, and obviously gets himself stuck in trees every now and again. They roam far enough that I've never managed to find him when I go looking, but then we have so many trees around us that odds are against me finding him anyways.

I've always wondered if my orange tabby doesn't climb trees as much because he's a medium hair and getting sap in his fur would be awful to try to clean?

I do always feel bad when I see "missing kitty" signs because I'm sure that the poor cats have become coyote food. Especially when it's one of our recently-moved-here neighbors whose cats may not be savvy to the ways of the wily coyote! But I worry a lot less about the cats raised in the environment, which it sounds like yours was (and by an older cat too, which I think gives him better odds).

Anyhow, I wouldn't panic just yet. Jingling that your boy is just stuck up a tree somewhere and will make it home soon!

Comment

I have trained my cats to come in at night. In other words, no food when they come in and out during the day, and so when they are hungary towards the end of the day, they come in and stay in and get all the food they want. Still, on a few very warm nights this summer, they were not interested in coming in, which meant I stayed up all night calling for them.

I hope your Pippin comes home, its a horrible feeling when they are 'out there'.

I don't worry too much about my two cats during the day, but at night, they usually know my routine and are ready to come in when I come in for the night.

Best to you, and jingling for Pippin.
                                        save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Working...
                                        X