• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How did you do your washrack drain? HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you do your washrack drain? HELP!

Hi,

I am building a new barn and my younger brother is doing the plumbing. He is a plumber by trade. I expressed to him how important it is that the washrack drains (I will have 2) do not clog, EVER. He thinks that having a 4'' pipe going down into a 12'' square plastic catch basin, then out into a "huge" drywell filled with small cinder block peices rather than paying for rock will do the job just great. I'm a little septical.

The other runoff option is that we have a ditch near one end of the barn, but to trench it out to the ditch on a slope (as it needs to be, obvi), the pipe will come out just under the ditch. So we could dig the dich out a bit, I think that is the better option, but he IS the plumber here. The ditch is about 60 feet from the back wall of the wash stall.

One WR is across the isle fron the other, so the pipe for that drain would be under the concrete isle and pick up the other WR drain, and go wherever it will end up being piped to.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?? Plesae help me decide!!

Thanks!!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Actually, your township should tell you what needs to be done. There are usually zoning issues to deal with that.
    Depending on your specs of course.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Sadly, I have no useful information for you but I had to chuckle when I read that you were "septical"! Was that a little bit of plumbing humor?

A question though. By 12" catch basin, do you mean something that you can physically clean out? We manage a to hose off a staggering amount of mud from our horses and if we had a real wash stall with a real drain I think we'd be in for a huge problem when all the mud settled.

Comment

The essential issue is having enough fall, from the wash stall, to the drain area. You need to be sure that the water, etc. will keep enough velocity to drain completely.

Ask me how I know?
        When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
        www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
        http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
          Hi,

I am building a new barn and my younger brother is doing the plumbing. He is a plumber by trade. I expressed to him how important it is that the washrack drains (I will have 2) do not clog, EVER. He thinks that having a 4'' pipe going down into a 12'' square plastic catch basin,
          That's how mine was in a previous barn. The catch basin will need to be cleaned out occassionally but it prevents a ton of goop clogging up a septic or drain field.
          It worked fine for me - 4 horses, but I sold it to a trainer - 10+ horses and it clogged up. She had to dig a new drain field.

Depends on how much use it will get.
          You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

No catch basin and no dry well. 4" pipe straight out, after one large radius elbow, to daylight somewhere downhill and out of the way.
            www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Drain is on the SIDE of the wash stall, not in the center. (Bonnie is convinced the Loch Ness Monster lives in drains) Pipe is currently not attached to anything :P because my "wash stall" has never been used as such and is currently a "hay storage area". I wash the horses outside, tied to my trailer. But if I were to hook it up, there's a pipe that drains from the sink in the tack room to the small creek on our property. I am very careful to not dump anything in there except water and modest amounts of natural or organic soap. Another reason I'm sort of glad my "wash stall" is not acting as it was intended.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by skyy View Post
                Sadly, I have no useful information for you but I had to chuckle when I read that you were "septical"! Was that a little bit of plumbing humor?

A question though. By 12" catch basin, do you mean something that you can physically clean out? We manage a to hose off a staggering amount of mud from our horses and if we had a real wash stall with a real drain I think we'd be in for a huge problem when all the mud settled.
                Haha I meant "skeptical"! lol:

Yes, the catch basin is a plastic square that has a removable cap. You can go in and clean out sediment when needed. I'm afraid if I just pipe it out the pipe could clog due to lazy boarders washing poop down the drain. But I'm told a 4" pipe is very large for this application. Thanks everyone!!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  Drain is on the SIDE of the wash stall, not in the center. (Bonnie is convinced the Loch Ness Monster lives in drains) Pipe is currently not attached to anything :P because my "wash stall" has never been used as such and is currently a "hay storage area". I wash the horses outside, tied to my trailer. But if I were to hook it up, there's a pipe that drains from the sink in the tack room to the small creek on our property. I am very careful to not dump anything in there except water and modest amounts of natural or organic soap. Another reason I'm sort of glad my "wash stall" is not acting as it was intended.
                  We do this too

There is a drain in the center, with a grate. The grate lifts up, and in the bottom is a big container that you would periodically lift out and dump into the trash. There is a pipe that goes out a couple inches above the bottom of the pan (so in theory the water goes down, the silt and junk sits in the pan, it fills up with water, and then only water goes out. The pipe would just go out the hillside surrounded by rocks...

But again, we don't "use" our "washstall"

Comment

I was visiting a barn the other day that had a pool filter of some sort that she cleans periodically. THere are 11 horses using the wash stall daily and she says she has not problems. I don't know the specifics of setup.
                    Alison Howard
                    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Comment

We don't have a drain -- the washrack just slopes towards the wall slightly, then drains outside to run away from the barn through a hole in the bottom of the wall.
                      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Well we have some of the drain problems talked about here, and I think if there was something like a pool filter around the drain it would help immensly, as then the gunk could be cleaned up after each horse.

Edited to add: This would work best if the drain was in a corner, as ours is.
                        Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

The essential issue is having enough fall, from the wash stall, to the drain area. You need to be sure that the water, etc. will keep enough velocity to drain completely.
                          This.

We have a 4 inch pipe that falls about 2 feet during a 60 foot straight run under the barn and out into a forest hillside where the water actually helps the trees. In 15 years still running free and clear. The pipe was laid and tested before we poured the concrete for the barn aisle. There is no mud trap or catch basin, which in our climate always becomes a stinking mess that breeds mosquitoes unless you physically remove and clean it daily.
                          "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnLap View Post
                            This.

We have a 4 inch pipe that falls about 2 feet during a 60 foot straight run under the barn and out into a forest hillside where the water actually helps the trees. In 15 years still running free and clear. The pipe was laid and tested before we poured the concrete for the barn aisle. There is no mud trap or catch basin, which in our climate always becomes a stinking mess that breeds mosquitoes unless you physically remove and clean it daily.
                            That's what I was talking about. Ideally, any plumbing drain pipes only need to slope about 1/8 to 1/4" a foot so the solids don't separate from the liquid. Ours is about the same setup and it has been trouble free for 30 years-nothing to clean out, nothing to bother will. Just wash everything down the drain and it's no different than what's already on the ground out in the pastures.
                            www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Make sure the water drains out and away quickly enough that it won't freeze in winter. Where I board, the drain freezes, making the washrack into a skating rink for months. Then when it thaws, it floods the bathroom because the bathroom floor drain freezes, too.

Comment

The best wash stall drain I ever saw was in a barn in Va. The floor sloped slightly to the back wall of the barn and the water drained directly outside to the same place under the gutters that the rainwater would. Because the way the floor sloped and that fact that there was no piping it never clogged and it wasn't too cold either- there was no huge gap in the floor- you couldn't tell there was any gap at all until you were standing right next to it. The wash stall was located in the middle of the barn and did not freeze up except in the worst winters when everything froze anyway. I think if we had installed heat lamps it wouldn't have frozen at all.

If I ever build a barn, that is the kind of drain system I will have. I have yet to see a wash stall drain that did NOT get stopped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayman421 View Post
                                  I have yet to see a wash stall drain that did NOT get stopped up.
                                  You are welcome to come and look at ours, if it turns your crank! 15 years and never clogged, despite regular ( sometimes daily) washing of horses, even in shedding season. Of course, we do not try and wash our entire poop production down the drain.
                                  "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Due to VERY lazy boarders flushing not sweeping, I have cut window screening to fit under the mat covering the drain. It fills quickly but has totally prevented the stuff they rinse down the drain from going down. We have to rinse it daily,but have had to have the septic flushed twice in six months so it has solved my problem.
                                    quasarequestriancentre.com

Comment

Our drain is in the middle of the floor. There is a basket inside the drain, under the typical medal lid. The sediment hair etc stays in basket. Water flows through. Basket comes out easily for cleaning. Works great.

Comment

No Drain

I don't have a drain in the wash stall either. And I'm very happy I didn't put one in! Every barn I've ever been in has had clogged drains.
                                        I also had the concrete sloped toward the back off the stall where there is a 3-4" opening that runs the length of the wall and drains out the back of the barn. I have turned that area into a vegetable garden. All the water and muck runs out the back, fertilizing and watering the vegi's! it's a great situation!

Comment

Working...
                                        X