• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ticks: Ultimate Solution to Remove Them Intact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticks: Ultimate Solution to Remove Them Intact

I have collected enough data now. This works for big fat dog ticks and smaller deer ticks, including those who have been latched on for 24 hours.

Every time I have tried it, it succeeded. Not just on me, but on other people. Not just on flat areas like arms and thighs, but in narrower more sensitive ones.

(I haven't tried it on companion critters or horses yet.)

Nothing I ever had tried before -- rubbing alcohol, finger nail polish remover (ethyl acetate), varnish, paint thinner, gasoline, acetone, turpentine, lighter fluid, 100-proof vodka, hot tweezers, cold tweezers, detergent, lighters, matches, you-name-it -- ever before worked not even once.

I want to hear back if this does NOT work for you.

Instructions:

Obtain some Everclear (95%, 190 proof ethyl alcohol) and either a narrow shot glass or better, something maybe a half-inch across into which you can put a quarter inch deep pool of Everclear. The ones I've used have been transparent, but a big clean dry 1/2" wide flat-edged/bottomed plastic bottlecap should work.

[If you aren't drinking age, get someone who is to help you.]

Be sure there is no water in the container -- if there is, dry it out and rinse it out first with some Everclear that you discard to make certain there is nothing but undiluted Everclear in the container. (If water gets into the Everclear and dilutes it, even a little, likely this won't work.)

Pour Everclear into the small container or cap. Better too much than too little. Half an ounce should be more than enough.

Place the container containing the Everclear against the area of skin where the tick is attached. (This may mean having someone help you if the tick is on you and you can't reach to hold the liquid in place, or it is awkwardly situated.)

Invert the container so that the liquid totally covers and continues to cover the tick against the skin, and does not leak out while you're holding it against the skin.

Hold the container in place for ten minutes without letting the Everclear leak out. (For small deer ticks this might not need to be all of ten minutes, but go with ten minutes.) If the tick is on a hairy spot like your head or neck where the liquid slowly leaks out, you may need to use enough Everclear so that the tick stays submerged the whole time.

After ten minutes of continuous tick submersion, remove the container, exposing the tick.

Probably you can now just brush the tick off. Possibly you may need to grasp it lightly with your fingertips. At worse, you may need to attach tweezers lightly to the tick near its head and give the very slightest of tugs.

The tick will release without much effort. It's mouth parts and head will not remain embedded. The tick may even start wandering around on your skin.

Save or discard the tick as you prefer.

If it's been embedded a long time, you will see a little indentation/mark on the skin where the critter was clamped in before letting go.

Probably the alcohol will have done much to disinfect the former attachment site, but there's no guarantee that if the tick was infectious that the site might not become infected, so treat it as you would any other tick bite after the tick is gone (with or without its head and mouth).

Discard the used Everclear. Your skin should be just fine.

The tick no doubt felt no pain.

If for some reason the tick didn't release as all the others have so far, repeat the process for another ten minutes.

Do not substitute anything else for the Everclear. Even 151 proof rum doesn't have sufficient concentration of alcohol. It's possible that 90% isopropanol [rubbing alcohol] does, but normally the strongest version sold is 70% which does not work.
    Last edited by Adamantane; Jul. 15, 2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Mass confusion, or how William Empson isn't appreciated on COTH
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Nice, but I'm more likely to down the liquor myself then pinch the tick off.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I vote a shot of good whiskey, and save the Everclear for the tick.

Comment

• Original Poster

I like alcoholic beverages but I'd much rather drink whiskey and use the Everclear to get excess water out of gas lines in my garden tractor or jet ski if there's nothing else handy to do that.

Comment

I just pull 'em off. Never had a problem!

Comment

Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
            I just pull 'em off. Never had a problem!
            Me too. Then I like to make them blow up like popcorn by holding a lighter flame to them (insert evil grin).

If I buy alcohol- it's gonna be something worth drinking!

Comment

Who on earth has a pain threshold so low they need to go through all that BS?
              Pull the damn thing off and drink the alcohol.
              "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

It probably works because ticks breathe through their "skin." (exoskeleton)
                If you want to wait 10 minutes, just cover the tick firmly with a piece of tape. Masking or duct works well. Wait 10 minutes, remove tape and tick with all parts should come with it. Now just fold the tape and toss out, the tick cannot resurrect itself covered in tape.
                Or just pinch it out. Then stick it to a piece of tape.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

Tick barf

The problem with squeezing them and or pulling them off is then they will barf into the wound. Ticks are far to dangerous to have them depositing tick spit in their chew hole.

The best ways for removing ticks is the way most likely to prevent this.

Then there is the problem with their head encysting if it is left behind when the body is pulled off.

The tick pullers depend on getting the grip of the tick at the entry into the skin and then NOT gripping the ticks body...the pull is of the head and mouth parts. Unlike fingers might grip as they pull on the body...squeezing as they pull. It is really important to not inject a nice dose of tick spit which is loaded with spirochetes and bacteria for some really unpleasant diseases.

I don't know if the everclear method prevents ticks barfing. Seems ok to me. PatO

Comment

• Original Poster

Any idiot can just rip an embedded tick out. And apparently some do.

You can extract a tooth with determination and pliers or amputate a finger with a meat cleaver, too. Not very scientific but in a crude sort of way it'll do the job, at least in the short term. Someone in the US Army during WWII stationed in the rural Philippines swears they'd break horses with two-by-fours, too.

The problem is leaving a tick head/mouth buried for days with increased risk of tick-borne or other infection, plus days with an sore welt.

None of the other approaches have work reliably for me or anyone else around here I know.

Took many experiments but this one does.

Comment

It's easy enough to grab their heads with tweezers and pull them out all in one piece with no embedded parts and without squeezing their contents back into your own (or your critter's).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by citydog View Post

It's easy enough to grab their heads with tweezers and pull them out all in one piece with no embedded parts and without squeezing their contents back into your own (or your critter's).
                        With such dexterity you have a bright future awaiting you in the healthcare profession.

The rest of us who aren't so gifted need to rely on inducing their cheerful cooperation.

Think of it as a partnership between rider and tick facilitated by alcohol. Now if I could only knock a couple back with my horse and come to the same understanding.

Comment

Yay! I'm a dexterous idiot!

A) I'm not waiting one extra second to get that icky thing off of me

B) If we're going to ascribe human emotions to parasitic insects, then I vote for a causing a split second of pain vs. 10 minutes of terror while it slowly drowns in a miniature vat of booze.
                          I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
                          Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

According to the CDC, the best way to remove a tick is with tweezers or a tick extractor. If the mouth parts break off in the skin, they're easy to remove the same way you'd remove a shallow splinter-- no need to "leave (it) buried for days". If you're too squeamish to remove mouth parts from your skin, it won't increase the risk of tick-borne infections, as the bacteria are carried in the tick's gut. The entire head can't break off in the skin, because ticks don't bury their heads to feed.
                            From the CDC's website:
                            Folklore remedies, such as the use of petroleum jelly or hot matches, do little to encourage a tick to detach from skin. In fact, they may make matters worse by irritating the tick and stimulating it to release additional saliva or regurgitate gut contents, increasing the chances of transmitting the pathogen. These methods of tick removal should be avoided.

Comment

I just soak them with fly spray if they are in unreachable areas of horseflesh and they drop off w/in 1/2 an hour.

On the dogs I'll either douse them in spray also, or pull them.

On me, I pull the suckers and shudder....

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
                                B) If we're going to ascribe human emotions to parasitic insects, then I vote for a causing a split second of pain vs. 10 minutes of terror while it slowly drowns in a miniature vat of booze.
                                My joke about cooperation aside, I don't give a rat's ass about how the tick feels. (If there any Jainists out there, since the ticks come out of this alive and crawling, at least until you squash them dead afterward, the Everclear approach seems better.)

CDC is right that the 'folk remedies' don't seem to work, at least not for me or my friends.

Which was the driver to experiment for a few years until I worked this out.

Rinsing a big cotton ball in 95% ethanol and sticking it on with a big piece of tape or some vet wrap for ten minutes ought to accomplish the same thing, but I haven't collected data yet. (That would have the advantage of working for ticks in hard to reach places such as the belly of a critter.)

Comment

Read the CDC website. Just remove the tick with tweezers. Don't torture the tick with various substances before you try to remove it. They are more likely to spit infectious substances into you if you torture them instead of just pulling them off. My experience, after pulling off many, many, ticks at work, is that they break apart much more easily if they are dead or have been tortured. Then, the head is left in place, which can be annoying (as well hard to remove if it bothers you).

If I don't have tweezers, and I am not at work, I just pull of the tick with my hand and wash my hands afterwards. With the very tiny deer ticks, it is easier to use tweezers.

If a deer tick has been on you for more than 24 hours and is fat/engorged, some people will prescribe a 200mg dose of doxycycline if you are in a Lyme endemic area. Otherwise, you just need to watch for rashes, fevers, or flu like symptoms in the next weeks.

Comment

My apologies for failing to grasp that your thread title was a joke

Ticks: Ultimate Solution to Remove Them Intact Without Pain
                                    Or was the "without pain" part referring to human pain? I haven't finished my coffee oh crap, now I'm late for work!
                                    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
                                    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
                                      My apologies for failing to grasp that your thread title was a joke

Or was the "without pain" part referring to human pain? I haven't finished my coffee oh crap, now I'm late for work!
                                      Human. Over the next few days, not instantly while yanking it off the old fashioned way. That last is no worse than yanking off a bandaid.

I'll tweak the title if I can think so something.

But those ticks are feeling no pain. I don't recommend drinking the Everclear afterward though it probably kills any microbes.

Comment

What proof Everclear was this? Because, unfortunately, even in some of the very few states where you could still buy it the governments have determined that humans are unable to handle the responsibility of 190 proof anymore, and you can only get then 151 proof.
                                        Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Working...
                                        X