• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Round bales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round bales

So, being new to the south, I have started to feed my pastured horses round bales. As I have driven around I have seen that alot of farms have those round bale holders, I dont know what they are actually called. I saw them at tractor supply and they are quite expensive! I had no idea why everyone had them, I didnt get why people would spend that much on something just to put around the bale?
    WELL, after cleaning up the remaining hay my horses scattered in a good 30 foot circle in the middle of the field, I think I figured it out. What a mess! They thought it was thier bathroom I guess. It was a nightmare to clean after the rain. SO, is this actually why people use those metal holders? And does anyone know of any used ones for sale, or where to get them fairly cheap? Thanks

Not from your area so not sure where to get them used or cheap. But yes, a round bale feeder saves you a LOT of money in the long run. From wasted hay, poured on hay that gets moldy, hay becoming toilet paper for the horses, etc.
    Hopefully someone from your area will chime in and help you out. But also try a search for round bale feeders on here. Over time there's been a lot of good suggestion on how to make or rig something up yourself.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

Make sure you purchase one made for horses and not cattle because the designs are different. Yes, some horse people use cattle ones with no problems but if your forking over the $$$ get the right style.

Something made out of metal/steel/pipe won't be very cheap. Around here there are several smaller pipe fabrication companies that make "knock off" ones which cost less.

Once you have one you will love it!! I also feed use it when feeding hay from square bales. Just toss the rations in the middle of the feeder and walk away. It keeps the horses from trashing it out.

Comment

Keep your eye on Craigs List. Sometimes one will show up at a darned good price.

Comment

Agri-Supply had the best prices on them when we bought ours. They've paid for themselves many time over.
          www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

They are pricey, but worth it in the long run. Maybe post a wanted ad in your local newspaper or feed store?
            Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

I have one called the "Better than nothing Round bale feeder". You can probably google it, or search the forum, I heard about it here.
              It's great. it wasn't cheap but it is easy for one person to handle and move by hand without a tractor and it does a great job saving the hay.
              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

I highly recommend getting a plastic feeder one vs. a metal feeder. Much lighter, more durable (doesn't rust) and IMO safer.

I've got a hay ring from AGI products, it was about $250.
                http://www.agiproducts.com/HAY%20RINGS.htm

Another great thing is to use a net with the round bale. A feeder combined with a net virtually eliminates waste. I made my own similar to this one out of sports netting: http://cinchchix.com/the-cinch-products.html

Comment

I can get them all day long at the Southern States store, about 125-150 bucks? Metal, horse friendly design, in two pieces. I am not terribly stout and I can tip it on its side and roll it to a new location in the field if the current spot has gotten boggy. Absolutely worth the $$ as horses, lacking any substantive ability to reason, can't figure out they are pooping on their breakfast if left to their own devices.

Comment

I've switched to the plastic rings and like them much better than the metal ones. You might also check with your local farmers or tractor places for large tractor tires. Some people have succcess with the tires as round bale holders.
                    Epona Farm
                    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I just saw the result of a horrific accident with a metal round bale holder. After much suffering, the horse had to be put down. They're really made for cows, not horses. Yes horses can manage to hurt themselves anywhere on anything, but why go asking for trouble.

Our guys don't waste too much, we then periodically just burn the leftovers.

Comment

There is a round bale feeder that I assume is made for cows that I see quite frequently in photos in various horsey publications. It is painted rusty red, and has loop style stanchions with a flat piece of steel bracing the middle of each loop.

My alpha gelding runs the round bale. You want to eat you best talk to him first. One day (April Fool's day, actually) he did his usual I'll take a nap and guard the bale while I'm at it. The kids found him lying on his side with one rear hoof poked through the loop. He and they could not get it out. Fortunately he didn't thrash, which would have destoyed his fetlock and pastern. The b/o's DH was able to sledge hammer the thing apart and get that leg out. Other than being a bit stiff and sore, he was fine. It could have been a catastophe.

Comment

I remember someone here had posted a picture showing how they enclosed their round bale by modifying their fence line.

Hopefully this makes sense:
                          One section (8') of fence was opened up and then an 8' square in the paddock was fenced (2 posts added, 2 sides with rails, back with rails) leaving the opening, well, open. They built a "landing" for the round bale so it was slightly raised off the ground (pallets would work too). They could back the truck up to the opening, push/pull the round bale onto the landing where it was accessible from the paddock over the new 3 sided fencing. If I recall correctly, the 3 sides on the enclosure were lower than fence height and lined with mesh wire.
                          The horses could easily reach into eat but not climb on top of the bale.

The best part of their "bale enclosure" was that they put a roof over the top. Just a simple slant roof, but it kept the bale dry.

How are your horse taking to their "buffet"? Whenever I put a new bale in the mares paddock I have one girl who runs at it, full tilt and body slams it! I learnt to place theirs up against a tree!!
                          You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

Yeah less waste is one main reason we use round bale holder. Another reason is so it's much harder for any horse to claim the whole bale. This becomes more important when feeding multiple horses. And be sure to get the ones designed for horses not cattle...

Comment

the one I have is designed for horses, thanks for the concern but it is horse friendly by design.

Comment

• Original Poster

yeah my horses like to scratch thier heads and necks and rub thier chests on it, they get very close to it so I was curious if anyone else has used those nets, or has had any bad experiences with them? They seem like a good idea and something I could make myself, as someone posted they used sports netting. But I am nervous of them getting feet caught up in it.
                                Also, someone mentioned plastic holders, I cant find those on any websites, could you send me a link to where you got yours?
                                I was thinking maybe wood might be the safest way if i cant find a plastic one, that way if any of them got caught up it would just break rather than the metal or the net. eyeyey horses! I feel like the simplest things you try to do, they make so compicated because unfortunetly, they just arent always too swift!

Comment

I found mine brand new on Craigslist for $100. Mine is easy to move around (I have no problem moving it by myself by hand). Mine also is 3 separate pieces- I tie them together with baling twine instead of bolts- easy to break if a horse were somehow to manage to get caught
                                  "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
                                  So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

Originally posted by dwbonfire87 View Post
                                    yeah my horses like to scratch thier heads and necks and rub thier chests on it, they get very close to it so I was curious if anyone else has used those nets, or has had any bad experiences with them?
                                    I was thinking maybe wood might be the safest way if i cant find a plastic one, that way if any of them got caught up it would just break rather than the metal or the net. eyeyey horses! I feel like the simplest things you try to do, they make so compicated because unfortunetly, they just arent always too swift!
                                    I bought the sports netting at Leather's suggestion. My QH with jaws of steel promptly ripped 2-3 nice holes in it instantly. It DID slow them down, and it's safe inside the RB metal feeder of death, I mean hay. I repaired said holes with yee olde orange hay string. So far so good. It's a bit of witch to get on the bale, it must still be spiked so you can truly wrap it round and over. That does double the life of the bale. It gets gross if it rains, though. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                    X