• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So tell me why the WC won't be in North america in the near future again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tell me why the WC won't be in North america in the near future again?

Just got back and had a wonderful time. Would go again in a heartbeat...

but Vegas won't be hosting any time soon. The SJ seats were not full. It was a shame... but was really hoping that the WC would be in North American again soon.

Any insight?

I saw all those empty seats while watching the live stream and thought "hmm not good". I am really surprised they could not fill those seats. Would it have been sold out in a different venue? I mean, if you can't lure people to Vegas to watch a sports event, where else in N.America could you get a full arena?

Comment

I can. It's all in the WC programme. John Q put it very nicely. it explains a lot.

"Here's the game. Only weeks ago, because of the uncertain conditions worldwide, Las Vegas Events, a semi-government, non-profit corporation with business and community responsibilities, withdrew its special bid, with its volunteered extra prize money and extraordinary contribution to the FEI project supporting the sport in smaller countries, with the hope of negotiating a "normal" bid for the 2011 and 2013 World Cup Finals of show jumping.

The FEI has subsequently announced that, with the 2010 final already assigned to Geneva, 2011 would go to Leipzig, Germany and 2013 to Gothenburg. Since we aim for only the odd years, the non-Olympics and non-World Games years, the next possibility for us is 2015. There it is, after five successful Finals at Las Vegas, heralded as perhaps the best ever, the grand run comes to an end."

Translation - We (the US and any of our representatives) are required to pay MORE than anyone else, for the same thing, when we're already subsidizing competitions in other countries as well as adding prize money when the WC competition is here. Oh, and then we get bashed for it.

Politically speaking, same $h!t, different day.

I'm going to write a letter to Pat Christenson, the president of Las Vegas Events. I'm going to let him know that I applaud his decision to reject the FEI's requiring further extortion from his company in order to continue providing a damn near perfect venue and accommodation for the WC finals. Anyone who would like to join me in doing so, PM me for the contact information.

And I'm willing to bet that the riders might have something to say about where the finals are held. From what I've heard, all of them love the venue. Let's see if they are willing to kick up a fuss to keep it.
      Last edited by ESG; Apr. 21, 2009, 01:45 PM.
      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
      A life lived by example, done too soon.
      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Wow, isn't that akin to what the International Olympic Organizing Committee was doing? Well, not quite as bad, I guess. Members of that committee were being wined and dined, if not out right BRIBED, by the countries competing to host the games.
        "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Well...if I may play the Devil's Advocate....would those seats have been full if it had been in Europe? Is there a reason they want a "premium" from a N.American organizer?

Comment

Yes, had the WC been in Europe, the seats would have been full. The night classes at the big shows in Europe have full houses. From what I've heard from the riders, they love coming to Las Vegas, but don't love the actual facilities all that much, and Las Vegas isn't particularly convenient-- they can't really plan on sending the horses to other shows close by once they've gone all the way there, and there's a lot more travel involved than if the WC was somewhere in W. Europe, which means more time spent away from their business at home. When you consider that a large proportion of the competitors spend either their whole year, or at least a good portion of the spring/summer showing in W. Europe, it does make a fair amount of sense to keep the WC Final in W. Europe.
            And, IMO, if Las Vegas really wanted to keep the WC there so badly, they'd be willing to accept hosting during Olympic or WEG years. Someone's gotta do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Words of Wisdom View Post
              And, IMO, if Las Vegas really wanted to keep the WC there so badly, they'd be willing to accept hosting during Olympic or WEG years. Someone's gotta do it.
              It's not a question of "willing to accept" hosting in the off years - it's a question of not competing with the Olympics or WEG. Read again, please.

And, sorry, but how much more must LVE pay, to prove they want the event there? No one else has to do it - why should they? There's more prize money in LV, and because of them, more money to other WC venues, too. Until now, when, of course, they don't want to pay extra for the privilege of hosting WC.

Comment

I was there on Friday and the place was far from being full. Someone told me they needed to attract a certain # of visitors to break even and they were 10,000 short. That is a big gap and a lot of money to lose in a bad economy.

Comment

You're quite right. That's apparently what LVE thought, too, and why they didn't offer to pad their bid enough to get the Finals again.

Comment

Originally posted by ESG View Post
                    It's not a question of "willing to accept" hosting in the off years - it's a question of not competing with the Olympics or WEG. Read again, please.

And, sorry, but how much more must LVE pay, to prove they want the event there? No one else has to do it - why should they? There's more prize money in LV, and because of them, more money to other WC venues, too. Until now, when, of course, they don't want to pay extra for the privilege of hosting WC.
                    I completely agree that LVE shouldn't have to pay any more to prove that they want the event.
                    But, you are making it sound like no one at all attends the WC final in Olympic or WEG years, which is simply not the truth. Will there maybe be a few people that choose not to attend, or who choose to bring not their top horse? Of course, but that happens every year for various reasons (such as Beezie Madden bringing Danny Boy this year, instead of Authentic or Judgement). The people who are actually there riding at the WC final do not look down on the venues that host in Olympic or WEG years as being somehow inferior-- Gothemburg, for example, has hosted in both Olympic/WEG years, as well as odd years.

Comment

I agree with you, Words of Wisdom! Besides, as somebody else mentioned.. the three locations in Europa - Geneva, Leipzig, and Goetheburg have beautiful facilities and are much more accessible for the majority of Word Cup competitiors.
                      Siegi Belz
                      www.stalleuropa.com
                      2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                      Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

How do we get information on tickets for the WCs to be held in Europe these next few years? Anyone here been overseas for a previous WC, and have any suggestions/recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Paris View Post
                          Just got back and had a wonderful time. Would go again in a heartbeat...

but Vegas won't be hosting any time soon. The SJ seats were not full. It was a shame... but was really hoping that the WC would be in North American again soon.

Any insight?
                          I tried to switch my seat for the final because we had had some obnoxiously loud people behind us the whole event, and I was told by the box office people that all the good seats were sold out! I also saw another couple trying to get seats together. I think a lot of people just didn't show up for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Words of Wisdom View Post
                            I completely agree that LVE shouldn't have to pay any more to prove that they want the event.
                            But, you are making it sound like no one at all attends the WC final in Olympic or WEG years, which is simply not the truth.
                            Do please read for comprehension. LVE doesn't want to COMPETE with the Olympics or WEG, and so doesn't bid for those years. I never said a thing about no one attending WC finals in those years.

Will there maybe be a few people that choose not to attend, or who choose to bring not their top horse? Of course, but that happens every year for various reasons (such as Beezie Madden bringing Danny Boy this year, instead of Authentic or Judgement).
                            Um, Danny Boy was not expected to earn a top 5 placing. Authentic was rested after the Olympics and through the winter, which was why she brought DB, who was top Young Horse at Aachen in 2008. Hardly an issue. And she did bring Judgement (and Onlight) as backups.

And of course Anky, who chose to rest Salinero and then was caught short when she qualified Painted Black, but not Salinero because of a back injury (hers).

The people who are actually there riding at the WC final do not look down on the venues that host in Olympic or WEG years as being somehow inferior-- Gothemburg, for example, has hosted in both Olympic/WEG years, as well as odd years.
                            Well, since I never said anything of the kind, I'm assuming you weren't responding to my post, and ignore this last.

The point you seem to be missing (on purpose? ) is that no one else except LVE gives extra prize money or financial support to the other venues. And now that they can no longer afford to do so, due to the current economic situation, the WC Finals were suddenly relocated. LVE didn't want to pay extortion money any longer, and I say more power to them.

Comment

Translation - We (the US and any of our representatives) are required to pay MORE than anyone else, for the same thing, when we're already subsidizing competitions in other countries as well as adding prize money when the WC competition is here. Oh, and then we get bashed for it.
                              this is not true, I had a long talk with a FEI official friend in Vegas this weekend... and Las Vegas just removed its application for lack of financing.... it is that simple. In fact, she told me that the organizers would have to pay a huge fine if they won the World Cup and they were not able to organize it in the end... Las Vegas is being hit very hard by the crisis and they felt it coming a while ago and wisely removed their application.

Also, I believe it is fair for European people to be able to watch the World Cup too.... It's been in Las Vegas for a while!

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

I'm only reporting what those in the know have printed. LVE gave extra prize money and subsidized other WC venues. LVE can no longer afford to give extra prize money and subsidize other venues. FEI suddenly yanks WC Finals from LVE, the minute they want to put in a "normal" bid, without the "padding". You figure it out. I don't have any problem putting two and two together.

Comment

Originally posted by akrogirl View Post
                                  I tried to switch my seat for the final because we had had some obnoxiously loud people behind us the whole event, and I was told by the box office people that all the good seats were sold out! I also saw another couple trying to get seats together. I think a lot of people just didn't show up for whatever reason.
                                  scalpers bought blocks - you could get good seats for cheap from scalpers at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
                                    Also, I believe it is fair for European people to be able to watch the World Cup too.... It's been in Las Vegas for a while!
                                    Ummm - it's in Europe every year it's not in LV. I think the Europeans have plenty of opportunity.

Comment

Ummm - it's in Europe every year it's not in LV. I think the Europeans have plenty of opportunity.
                                      ummmm, Europe is a continent, the US is a country... I forgot it represented half (and often more) of the world in some American people's minds....

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

What other places in the US would be good options besides LV?

NYC?
                                        Syracuse?

Comment

Working...
                                        X