• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Recovery of Imke's Hunter Douglas Sunrise will take more time

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery of Imke's Hunter Douglas Sunrise will take more time

Sunrise, Imke's #1 mount, who had to withdraw after the teamcompetition at the HongKong Olympics out of competition for a few months.

Sunrise who injured herself during the victorielap at HongKong has recoverd from the initial injury, but at her last check the vets adviced her to withdraw Sunrise from competition for a few months. Imke and the owners don't want to take any risc and will follow the advice of the Vet-clinic.

Theo

I didn't realiaze she was injured during the victory lap. How unfortunate. I love watching victory gallops, or laps, but honestly, they are probably not a great idea. Do you think someday the riders will say no more and ask that the horses simply be led in hand or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Mozart View Post
      I didn't realiaze she was injured during the victory lap. How unfortunate. I love watching victory gallops, or laps, but honestly, they are probably not a great idea. Do you think someday the riders will say no more and ask that the horses simply be led in hand or something?
      Some are doing that already--or collecting their prizes on foot.
      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
        Some are doing that already--or collecting their prizes on foot.
        I don't know, if I won any medal in the Olympics, I would be all about the victory lap. Mine would look more like Reiner Klimke's, though - with all kinds of pretty movements, not just a gallop. And that is whether I win in Eventing or Dressage....you know...assuming I get that far before I die and all....

Comment

On a completely unrelated note, I have always found it amusing that a window blind company sponsors a horse called "Sunrise"......

Comment

So it was wise of the riders to accompany Anky on a victory trot after all ... despite the flack.
            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

what kind of injury was it? thats a bummer. i too, love watching, and riding in the victory gallops...but i have just taken my ribbon before and walked out...i base that on how my horse feels on a given day. if he still feels fresh and willing, then we go have fun ( he LOVES them...thinks they are races...and he likes to squeal through them too!!)...if he is feeling tired, then we skip it and go for a walk around the show grounds instead.
              "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

I agree that victory gallops--while fun and great to experience--may not be the best idea, especially after a huge competition. First, the horses are tired, and thus more likely to injure themselves. Second, many horses get excitable and can get a bit out of hand. Pair this with riders who are happy about winning and also probably tired, and things can go wrong very quickly. I've personally never seen anything really bad happen during a victory gallop, but I've seen many riders let their horses careen around (sometimes small, indoor) areas, and I can see a disaster looming. I know a victory walk wouldn't be as exciting, but we really do need to consider the horse's physical and mental state after a testing competition like the Olympics, World Cup, or even a Grand Prix.
                Equestrianism
                Photography

Comment

The Olympic winner Rembrandt was kicked during one of those things and that ended his career - he was kicked in the hock, that was pretty much the end of that. He was laid up for 1 1/2 - 2 yr, then competed briefly, maybe one show and had to be retired. He's not the only one. Those things are very dangerous. The stadiums can be very very loud and the horses get very excited.

Comment

If anyone has ever watched a Pony Club PPG victory gallop you will know what hairy is. But the ponies are at least used to kids who have a need for speed. There have probably been a share of injuries too, just I have not seen them. And theponies are not worth a million or two bucks (except to the kid).
                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I am always on edge watching those darn things at Regionals when the Jr/Yg Riders go out to collect their ribbons! I've seen a few too many horses end up out of control WITH child in the saddle. Although they are a fun experience on a trusted more laid back mount. My TB mare would have a meltdown between the other horses and loud music and wouldn't surprise me in the least if she attempted to bolt during a victory lap.
                      *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
                      My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by slc2 View Post
                        The Olympic winner Rembrandt was kicked during one of those things and that ended his career - he was kicked in the hock, that was pretty much the end of that. He was laid up for 1 1/2 - 2 yr, then competed briefly, maybe one show and had to be retired. He's not the only one. Those things are very dangerous. The stadiums can be very very loud and the horses get very excited.
                        And when you have a stallion (like our own Darwin) they want to lead the gang. He never accepted to stay in-line with his ranking during the victory galop. And did I already tell you that he was the most easy going horse in the world, you could launch firecrackers next to him he wouldn't blink an eye, but when it came down to a victory galop he needed space in front of him.

Theo

Comment

A great many people, not just Anky, have bowed out of the gallop laps in the past. I don't blame them a bit. It would not be nice to have a horse you have spent a dozen years training every day, get kicked in the leg and have to be put down or retired in pain the rest of his days, just for a few moments of showing off. I'd actually prefer something safer, such as each rider making a short gallop alone in a separate part of the arena, while the others stand still with handlers. These horses are too expensive and too much time has gone into developing them, too much heartache, too much dreams, to toss one out to show off a bit for spectators. Competitions are bad enough these days, with the venues not designed for horses (Athens, Hong Kong, for example).

Comment

I thought Anky handled the "victory lap" well. She looked like she might join in for a moment but read Salinero's attitude (explosive) and quietly left the stadium while the others went for a fang.

The Germans galloped along in a perfect drill-team formation, while the Danish were a bit feral.

Interestingly, the eventers all seem to be able to handle victory gallops...I've even seen people doing it quite sanely and safely while leading another horse and holding a bouquet of flowers.

Maybe the dressage victory laps should be in passage or tempis.

Comment

Not for that long, I wouldn't, that's not fair to the horse.

But it should be something the horse is doing every single day and does often in the stadium, and is used to. THe dressage horses only get galloped in specific places on certain days, where as the eventers gallop in the stadium routinely to do show jumping.

Frankly, I would be just as impressed to see the dressage horses do a collected walk or a few steps of piaffe. But if they could gallop separately and avoid risk of a kick, that would be better.

This whole thing of 80 tempe changes or passaging for laps and laps, why do that to the horses just to please some spectators. They get enough work and enough wear and tear as it is.

Comment

Back in the "good old days" when the individual show jumping was the final event prior to the closing ceremonies, they would present those medals just before the closing ceremonies. I was told that at the 1984 LA Olympics, the show jumping medallists - Fargis, Holmfeld and (Swiss?), borrowed other horses (police horses? eventers? pentathalon horses?) to ride for that ceremony, rather than the more supposedly "high strung" Touch of Class, Abdullah and the Swiss (?) mare that got the bronze.

Comment

That's right! The dressage horse shouldn't have to gallop (well.....maybe they should - heard that's what eventer Headley Britannia did for quite a while to "warm up" before her very super test....then again she's a mere eventer....).

And here are all these experts saying Reiner Kimke is the be all and end all, but that today's dressage horses shouldn't have to passage or tempi change around a little stadium? Come on! how bloody precious are they! Ooh only 15 steps of piaff and 30 of passage!! or they might break. Or shrink. Or something. AND they have to have big white bandages and bell boots on.

Comment

Originally posted by Equa View Post
                                    That's right! The dressage horse shouldn't have to gallop (well.....maybe they should - heard that's what eventer Headley Britannia did for quite a while to "warm up" before her very super test....then again she's a mere eventer....).

And here are all these experts saying Reiner Kimke is the be all and end all, but that today's dressage horses shouldn't have to passage or tempi change around a little stadium? Come on! how bloody precious are they! Ooh only 15 steps of piaff and 30 of passage!! or they might break. Or shrink. Or something. AND they have to have big white bandages and bell boots on.
                                    If you had any substantial investment in a horse like Sunrise or any of the olympic equine athletes, I think that your attitude would be adjusted accordingly.
                                    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

That's true. After spending several million to campaign a horse, several million to buy it and have it trained, getting kicked during a victory gallop doesn't sound so clever. Too, I wouldn't like to be sitting on the horse that kicked the other horse and ended its career- you can't always stop a horse you're sitting on from kicking. That could create a little bit of bad feeling.

In any case, no matter how much people criticize, what to do in the victory gallop remains the choice of the horse's owner and rider, not someone on a bulletin board.

Comment

A rider I know in Germany lost his FEI horse due to a victory lap. The horse took a bad step and fractured his coffin bone. Underwent surgery but never recovered and had to be euthanized.
                                        RoseLane Sportponies
                                        Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
                                        Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
                                        Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

Working...
                                        X