• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Melanie Smith-Taylor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you haters don't get is that they get little to no help from the network in background information. At the last competition she was at, she spent most of the night before the event tracking down riders, doing interviews, anything to fill all that airtime. NBC should have producers and their teams out compiling this info for the live commentary. But they don't. So The two of them are stuck trying to come up with intelligent, but not too technical, things to say to the viewing audience. And, there is the small detail that they aren't watching the live horse in front of them. They are watching on a monitor and having to react to that.

Get over yourselves. Find a topic you can actually be positive on. It might surprise you how good it feels. If you don't like her style, fine, your option. But don't then try to tear her down with snide remarks you know nothing about.
    Laurie

Comment

I was watching the NBC live stream of the show jumping team final with the excellent British commentator. His pride in the British gold, and the way he barely kept it together after their win, after over 5 hours of thoughtful, not over bearing (non-partisan) commentary, was one of the most moving Olympic moments I've experienced. It was so clear that he knew and really cared about so many of the riders and horses. Don't get the same experience w/M S-T

Comment

The haters hate her lack of dressage and eventing knowledge. Not technical issues with the network feed.
        "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
          What you haters don't get is that they get little to no help from the network in background information. At the last competition she was at, she spent most of the night before the event tracking down riders, doing interviews, anything to fill all that airtime. NBC should have producers and their teams out compiling this info for the live commentary. But they don't.
          It really isn't the network's job to do that. Even for the big sports (NFL, MLB), you really do need to do your own info gathering and preparation.

You can -- and some announcers/commentators do -- go to people for coaching and sharpening up your skills in the booth.

Good prep is usually quite evident. Clare Balding has become quite a star for her excellent Olympic presence on the BBC -- it doesn't matter what sport you throw at her, she studies it and can talk about it with authority. Bob Costas is very impressive that way as well.

Comment

Bob Costas does a good job. I do think he sometimes overdoes rehashing bad outcomes with the athletes however.

Comment

FWIW my non-horsey father commented on how much he liked MST's commentary. He knows more about horses than the average american, but not nearly as much as we do.
              Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
              My equine soulmate
              Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                I think she probably meant that some people have the educated hands and legs to use a double bridle correctly. Or that some people choose to. She's not stupid...I highly doubt that she thinks only certain people at that level are allowed to use it.

Not saying that I dis/like her commentary, just pointing that out.
                But that is not what she said. She said simply what I wrote. She didn't say it had anything to do with educated hands etc.

MST educating people on dressage would be like me saying "show jumpers get 5 faults for every rail they knock down".

Oh wait, I meant four faults but well, that's close enough. It's not close enough. Do you want your child's math teacher rewarding 2+2=5? Close enough? No. It isn't. If we want more people coming into the sport and watching it, we owe it to the sport to be correct. Or at least, not blatantly WRONG.

Comment

Just reinforces the American people's opinion of snobby dressage people. Put yourself in Melanie's place: trying to explain ride after ride of the most boring sport since golf to people who have not idea what it's about.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGreen View Post
                    Just reinforces the American people's opinion of snobby dressage people. Put yourself in Melanie's place: trying to explain ride after ride of the most boring sport since golf to people who have not idea what it's about.
                    What about ice skating? What's the difference between a toe loop and triple salkow (I have no idea how to spell it). Yet I still like to watch it. And having a commentator actually knowing what they are talking about it important to the experience.

Your statement just reinforces my opinion of hunter jumper people. Good enough seems to be just that. Good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                      Good prep is usually quite evident. Clare Balding has become quite a star for her excellent Olympic presence on the BBC -- it doesn't matter what sport you throw at her, she studies it and can talk about it with authority.

Clare is the best...and EVERYONE likes her.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor2 View Post
                        What about ice skating? What's the difference between a toe loop and triple salkow (I have no idea how to spell it). Yet I still like to watch it. And having a commentator actually knowing what they are talking about it important to the experience.

Your statement just reinforces my opinion of hunter jumper people. Good enough seems to be just that. Good enough.
                        Oh, dressage riders are such elitist snobs! Oh, HJ folks are such mediocre horse people who know little more than to pose in the saddle and hand their horses off to grooms.

It's like "Call Me Maybe." A song that has been overplayed to the point of absurdity.

Why undercut a perfectly legitimate analogy with such a dime-a-dozen, ignorant generalization?
                        "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come" (Shakespeare).

Comment

I love how all these ramblings always turn into this somehow..... My sport is better than your sport. Dressage people are snobby, h/j people can't ride, eventers are the best because they gallop at big obstacles that don't fall down....

Just because MST can't ride a GP dressage test doesn't mean she doesn't know what it is. In case none of the 'uppity and snobby' dressage people have never watched an upper level showjumper warm up or be schooled on the flat, they all know how to do quite a bit of dressage. It helps make their horses more elastic, flexible and adjustable to ride. And not a single one discounts dressage as boring or unncessary. While they may not be performing a piaffe or a canter piroutte, they understand its great importance to their sport.

Comment

Originally posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
                            Just because MST can't ride a GP dressage test doesn't mean she doesn't know what it is. In case none of the 'uppity and snobby' dressage people have never watched an upper level showjumper warm up or be schooled on the flat, they all know how to do quite a bit of dressage. It helps make their horses more elastic, flexible and adjustable to ride. And not a single one discounts dressage as boring or unncessary. While they may not be performing a piaffe or a canter piroutte, they understand its great importance to their sport.
                            MST made plenty of obnoxious comments about riders lacking hairnets and other 'super important' style information during the eventing. Not to mention her snotty comment that the 'groom was in trouble' when the French jumper riders rein broke.

Yeah. Commentary on hairnets and attacks on grooms. That real competent classy stuff.
                            "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Yeah but you have to remember that's her perception. Sorry it's the Olympics and she's from the States. We wear hair nets here. So from her PERSPECTIVE she feels they should wear hair nets. To finish off the picture. You spent all that time braiding a mane but not 2 seconds to net your hair?

Attacking the groom? Yes she did say that the groom would be in trouble because it's their job to check tack. At the time nobody knew why it broke.

It reminds me of the Wedding Singer. "I HAVE THE MICROPHONE SO YOU WILL LISTEN TO EVERY DAMN WORD I HAVE TO SAY."

I guess nobodies remote comes with a mute button......

Comment

Originally posted by lmlacross View Post
                                Oh, dressage riders are such elitist snobs! Oh, HJ folks are such mediocre horse people who know little more than to pose in the saddle and hand their horses off to grooms.

It's like "Call Me Maybe." A song that has been overplayed to the point of absurdity.

Why undercut a perfectly legitimate analogy with such a dime-a-dozen, ignorant generalization?
                                To make a point. I do not believe that all HJ people say "good enough" Some of my good friends are HJ people.
                                My statement was just as ignorant as calling dressage people "snobby"...and I will happily admit just that.

Comment

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                                  What you haters don't get is that they get little to no help from the network in background information. At the last competition she was at, she spent most of the night before the event tracking down riders, doing interviews, anything to fill all that airtime. NBC should have producers and their teams out compiling this info for the live commentary. But they don't. So The two of them are stuck trying to come up with intelligent, but not too technical, things to say to the viewing audience. And, there is the small detail that they aren't watching the live horse in front of them. They are watching on a monitor and having to react to that.
                                  Oh poor little Melanie had to do her JOB?
                                  Poor wittle girl.

Comment

I saw something (maybe on Facebook) where she explains how things went on XC day because they kept cutting back and forth to them, then to something else (because of delays on course) and they were completely flying by the seat of their pants.

Comment

Originally posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
                                      I saw something (maybe on Facebook) where she explains how things went on XC day because they kept cutting back and forth to them, then to something else (because of delays on course) and they were completely flying by the seat of their pants.
                                      Yes, but the other commentator was doing just fine that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonkafriend View Post
                                        I was watching the NBC live stream of the show jumping team final with the excellent British commentator. His pride in the British gold, and the way he barely kept it together after their win, after over 5 hours of thoughtful, not over bearing (non-partisan) commentary, was one of the most moving Olympic moments I've experienced. It was so clear that he knew and really cared about so many of the riders and horses. Don't get the same experience w/M S-T
                                        I dunno, he was very knowledgeable for sure, but he took plenty of cheap shots at the USA for "lowering the standards of dressage w/ [their] helmet campaign" and plenty of REALLY cheap shots at the KSA showjumpers by bringing up how much they paid for their horses every time one came in the ring. Credit where due, though, after the BBC received complaints he backed off both of those positions.

ETA: I was watching the BBC coverage, you may not have heard those parts on NBC.
                                        "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                                          I dunno, he was very knowledgeable for sure, but he took plenty of cheap shots at the USA for "lowering the standards of dressage w/ [their] helmet campaign"
                                          Wow. Really? Increasing rider safety is lowering the standards??

That's a... very interesting view.

Comment

Working...
                                          X