• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Live Stream Links" Thread, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Live Stream Links" Thread, etc.

    Dear Mods,
    I wish you would just shut that thread down. People keep posting on it that we can go to this web site or that web site and download all sorts of things that will let us watch the NBC or BBC live streams of various equestrian events.
    Most of those links they post are dead-ends. It's like a maze. If you get to the site, the application someone has told you to download isn't even there, or, if it is there, it isn't free.
    No one has bothered to include that little bit of info.
    Somebody did post about something called the Ex-Pat Shield, but they did not bother to post a link to it, and when I finally found it, it wasn't free.
    The bottom line is, if someone has cable or satellite that they are paying for, they can watch the live streams. If you're not already paying for cable or satellite, you can't watch the live streams unless you pay for the application that will let you hack through the blocks.
    I have just spent 3 incredibly frustrating days trying everything suggested in the "Live Stream Links" thread so that I too could watch the equestrian events I should have been able to watch on TV. I have followed the links COTHers posted. I have done my own searches.
    Now the 3-day is over and I have seen about 10 seconds of Zara and her horse jumping about 5 cross country fences, because NBC just flashed a clip up on the TV screen.
    I just think it is wrong, and not very kind, to start some thread that purports to let us watch this stuff and then to let other non-Mod people post crap. I think it would have been better not to dangle the carrot in the first place.
    Very frustrating and disheartening experience.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

  • #2
    On the other hand, plenty of us were able to access the feeds we wouldn't otherwise have known about.

    I do sympathize, because I did spend hours the first day trying to watch dressage and was unsuccessful. Did all the downloads etc. But I also realize that is the price I paid for not hooking up my TV with a receiver and the right channel in advance. I felt darn lucky to be able to access Canada's feeds, mostly without interruption, and pretty much live. And free.
    Blugal

    You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

    Comment


    • #3
      Expat Shield is free....I'm sorry you've had a hard time. NBC sucks, frankly. Anyway--if you have a Mac, it is hard, but PC and expat were simple for me to get access...and I learned about it from Equibrit and her posts on that thread.
      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wellspotted View Post
        Most of those links they post are dead-ends. It's like a maze. If you get to the site, the application someone has told you to download isn't even there, or, if it is there, it isn't free.
        No one has bothered to include that little bit of info.
        Somebody did post about something called the Ex-Pat Shield, but they did not bother to post a link to it, and when I finally found it, it wasn't free.
        It is free.
        The first two results in a simple google search on "ExPat Shield" will give you the website of the software itself (which has a download button on the first page) and also a link to CNET, where it can also be downloaded.
        Last edited by Drvmb1ggl3; Aug. 1, 2012, 11:57 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
          It is free.
          The first two results in a simple google search on "ExPat Shield" will give you the website of the software itself (which has a download button on the first page) and also a link to CNET, where it can also be downloaded.

          ..and if you go to cnet.com and type in 'expat shield' in the really big search bar at the top, the download page is the very first result. And it is FREE.

          I have been watching the BBC coverage with expat shield with no problems and it is 100% because of the GREAT information provided by helpful COTHers.

          The only problem I have been having is that I keep forgetting to turn expat shield off when I leave the BBC sit and I keep getting sent to google.co.uk instead of google.com.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why, because YOU can't figure it out, should other people be denied the solution to their frustrations. I have been watching the bbc coverage through expat without a hitch. Everything IS free.
            The only problem you will encounter is with a mac. So, don't blame us.. I got all the information I needed thanks to Equibrit!!

            and yes, you have to remember to disconnect expat after watching the bbc, because the Canadian sites may deny you access due to a British IP or Youtube will give you the British selections... lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Wellspot, I am very sorry for your trouble. I, too, would be extremely frustrated, disgusted and angry if I could not see any more of the Equestrian Olympics than NBC has shown in prime time (which is to say, about 30 seconds). The only thing I haven't been able to access online was a Canadian TV "Thrills and Spills on XC" video that someone linked to; despite downloading a free piece of software the computer said I needed (Silverlight), it never would go. That was a minor annoyance, but if you haven't been able to get ANY look at the Games that truly stinks. I've spent many hours of my life trying to figure out one computer mess or another so I really do sympathize. It would have been nice if there had been some kind of "heads-up" ahead of time from NBC telling everyone that hey, if you're not a customer of one of our partner providers you're sh*t outta luck.

              I guess you do not have any kind of TV setup that receives the NBC Sports channel, either, because I gather they have shown a great deal of coverage there. I've been asleep or at work when that was on so I can't say for sure.

              Many have been helped by the other threads so I don't think the Mods are going to shut them down, but I just wanted to say I feel your pain and I'm sorry.
              "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

              Comment


              • #8
                Wellspot, you and I may be the last people on earth who don't have cable TV! I'm also a bit frustrated and have developed a hatred for NBC

                Comment


                • #9
                  You know, I have no love lost for NBC. I hate them frankly.
                  But this attitude of well, I don't pay for television but I should be able to watch anything I want for free is rather irritating.
                  NBC paid some serious cash to have the Olympics feed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I also don't have cable and am extremely frustrated about the coverage. I have not seen one second.

                    Is there a way to pay to watch it on the live stream without having cable? I don't mind paying for the coverage but I just don't have a cable subscription. I also don't have an iphone so can't go that route. It's just frustrating that the only options are cable or iphone - there should be another way to stream it (with or without a fee) for those who may have satellite or something else instead of cable.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chancellor2 View Post
                      You know, I have no love lost for NBC. I hate them frankly.
                      But this attitude of well, I don't pay for television but I should be able to watch anything I want for free is rather irritating.
                      NBC paid some serious cash to have the Olympics feed.
                      No kidding! We pay for satellite TV and being able to sign on with my subscription and watch the NBC streaming for no additional cost is wonderful! But if I didn't already pay to get MSNBC/CNBC (required to livestream via NBC), I'd be happy to pony up a little cash to watch the livestreaming. As long as there is a guarantee that it would work -- since the iPad app has been so disappointingly bad, I've been watching on my PC, but I'd be a little reluctant to pay $$ unless I knew for sure the streaming was going to work. I am absolutely THRILLED that NBC has made it possible to watch so much (now that I got it working on my PC!), and really don't like this "ought to be free" attitude.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                        It's just frustrating that the only options are cable or iphone - there should be another way to stream it (with or without a fee) for those who may have satellite or something else instead of cable.
                        I am able to access the NBC livestreaming using my login for my satellite (not cable) tv subscription. But how I understand it, you have to subscribe to a package that includes MSNBC or CNBC in order to do that. I have seen in some other threads that people have added those for the month or whatever in order to access the feed, then it will cancel after that month. That would probably depend on the policy of your particular sat provider.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I got on the NBC live feed without much trouble, and thought the coverage of x-country was great. Does anyone know who the commentator was? (Male, British)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AA Hunter View Post
                            I got on the NBC live feed without much trouble, and thought the coverage of x-country was great. Does anyone know who the commentator was? (Male, British)
                            I was curious about this as well -- he was very good, and I really enjoyed listening to him. Even though he did announce Boyd Martin coming through the finish as riding for Australia!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                              Is there a way to pay to watch it on the live stream without having cable? I don't mind paying for the coverage but I just don't have a cable subscription. I also don't have an iphone so can't go that route. It's just frustrating that the only options are cable or iphone - there should be another way to stream it (with or without a fee) for those who may have satellite or something else instead of cable.
                              I could be remembering wrong, but didn't they do something like that for Beijing? I remember downloading some viewer and having complete access to the live feeds very easily in '08, I think I paid for it but it was reasonable and the whole layout was much more user-friendly than what they're offering now...
                              "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

                              My CANTER blog.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by chancellor2 View Post
                                You know, I have no love lost for NBC. I hate them frankly.
                                But this attitude of well, I don't pay for television but I should be able to watch anything I want for free is rather irritating.
                                NBC paid some serious cash to have the Olympics feed.
                                Do you understand how TV broadcasters make money? It isn't through the fee you pay for cable, that is how the CABLE companies make money. NBC makes money through advertisements - the MORE people who watch their stations (aka their ads), the more they make. They pay for rights to the Olympics because the advertisers then pay more for ad spots, and NBC makes money.

                                On network TV (free TV), they seem to feel the viewing public wants to see beach volleyball - aka women not wearing much. And synchronized diving - again, women not wearing much.

                                I live in a rural area - satellite is not great, and cable is not available. It would be nice to have an option to see some of the events - and I'd be happy to pay for it - but that isn't an option - did I mention cable isn't available?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Wellspotted View Post
                                  Now the 3-day is over and I have seen about 10 seconds of Zara and her horse jumping about 5 cross country fences, because NBC just flashed a clip up on the TV screen.
                                  Well I do pay for cable, and I have seen the same as you, a few seconds of Zara. And while I usually can access live streaming here at the office for other events (WEG, Rolex KY, Indoors), I can't get the OG. I have no idea why the live streaming isn't working at home and I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out all the directions everyone has so generously given out, so I'm equally frustrated. At least I got to read everyone's posts live as the x-country was going on, which was surprisingly good.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                                    Do you understand how TV broadcasters make money? It isn't through the fee you pay for cable, that is how the CABLE companies make money. NBC makes money through advertisements - the MORE people who watch their stations (aka their ads), the more they make. They pay for rights to the Olympics because the advertisers then pay more for ad spots, and NBC makes money.
                                    Uh, so you think that the broadcasters provide all those channels to cable/satellite providers for free? I don't think so! I pay my satellite provider for a group of channels, and I'm sure that, say, MSNBC isn't just coming over to DISH for free. That's why the NBC online streaming is requiring that you have a sat/cable package that includes the "premium" or whatever they call it channels of MSNBC or CNBC, as you do have to pay a bit more to get those as part of a subscription (compared to just a basic plan). NBC is making a bit off that subscription. And I don't think it is unreasonable.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                                      Do you understand how TV broadcasters make money? It isn't through the fee you pay for cable, that is how the CABLE companies make money. NBC makes money through advertisements - the MORE people who watch their stations (aka their ads), the more they make. They pay for rights to the Olympics because the advertisers then pay more for ad spots, and NBC makes money.

                                      On network TV (free TV), they seem to feel the viewing public wants to see beach volleyball - aka women not wearing much. And synchronized diving - again, women not wearing much.

                                      I live in a rural area - satellite is not great, and cable is not available. It would be nice to have an option to see some of the events - and I'd be happy to pay for it - but that isn't an option - did I mention cable isn't available?
                                      Guess what? Cable isn't available where I live either. I pay for Satellite.
                                      And yes, I am fully familiar with how the networks make money.
                                      I am thrilled that NBC made this available to me for free instead of on a PPV basis.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Wellspotted View Post
                                        Dear Mods,
                                        I wish you would just shut that thread down. People keep posting on it that we can go to this web site or that web site and download all sorts of things that will let us watch the NBC or BBC live streams of various equestrian events.
                                        Most of those links they post are dead-ends. It's like a maze. If you get to the site, the application someone has told you to download isn't even there, or, if it is there, it isn't free.
                                        No one has bothered to include that little bit of info.
                                        Somebody did post about something called the Ex-Pat Shield, but they did not bother to post a link to it, and when I finally found it, it wasn't free.
                                        The bottom line is, if someone has cable or satellite that they are paying for, they can watch the live streams. If you're not already paying for cable or satellite, you can't watch the live streams unless you pay for the application that will let you hack through the blocks.
                                        I have just spent 3 incredibly frustrating days trying everything suggested in the "Live Stream Links" thread so that I too could watch the equestrian events I should have been able to watch on TV. I have followed the links COTHers posted. I have done my own searches.
                                        Now the 3-day is over and I have seen about 10 seconds of Zara and her horse jumping about 5 cross country fences, because NBC just flashed a clip up on the TV screen.
                                        I just think it is wrong, and not very kind, to start some thread that purports to let us watch this stuff and then to let other non-Mod people post crap. I think it would have been better not to dangle the carrot in the first place.
                                        Very frustrating and disheartening experience.
                                        The only reason a person could not watch a live stream for free is;
                                        1.) They are a computer underachiever.
                                        2.) They have a problem with their computer (ie software out of date or missing)
                                        3.) Thay cannot read or follow instructions.
                                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X