• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Eventing Dressage is What Dressage SHOULD be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventing Dressage is What Dressage SHOULD be?

I finally am able to watch the eventing dressage. What strikes me is these look like ordinary horses at an ordinary (dressage) show. This is not to dis anyone, but to note this seems like what dressage SHOULD be.

They aren't world beaters, there are clear mistakes and you see heads look up and trips, but they aren't getting nailed for it, and doing the best quality the HORSE can do gets good scores.

As I've been to some dressage shows lately and horses that move well but are behind the vertical and not doing correct movements are getting big scores because they look flashy or have the "right" names, but this just seems to be what dressage SHOULD be.

It's SUPPOSED to be about training and making the best of the horse, no matter what it looks like, so an extended trot can look like a lot of different things and still be correct and an eight, even though the horse isn't s super mover. And I see this 3rdish/4thish level test done in bridles that work best for the horse, not everyone in a double so they can get that super up, cranked in look that is so prevalent in dressage at all levels, even though it's incorrect.

I don't know whether it's what it 'should' be or not.... but it's truly the dressage I like to watch the best.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Comment

I felt that in regular dressage some of those canters would have been scored lowef.

I like the ordinary horse idea, but some of the canter looked just painful (in collection), and that would lose, yes, to a horse that was rounder but more able to carry IMO

What i liked was the open forward look and extensions and ground covering look.

What I didnt like was the heavy in the reins and very tense look with lack of self carriage.

I am not distracted by the feet... Most of what people claim to be "flashy" has one hell of a hind end, and that would take a huge chunk out of this competition.

Dressage is about the carriage.
      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

So true. Most dressage horses descend from carriage horses.
        Last edited by vineyridge; Jul. 30, 2012, 07:29 PM.
        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
          I finally am able to watch the eventing dressage. What strikes me is these look like ordinary horses at an ordinary (dressage) show. This is not to dis anyone, but to note this seems like what dressage SHOULD be.

They aren't world beaters, there are clear mistakes and you see heads look up and trips, but they aren't getting nailed for it, and doing the best quality the HORSE can do gets good scores.

As I've been to some dressage shows lately and horses that move well but are behind the vertical and not doing correct movements are getting big scores because they look flashy or have the "right" names, but this just seems to be what dressage SHOULD be.

It's SUPPOSED to be about training and making the best of the horse, no matter what it looks like, so an extended trot can look like a lot of different things and still be correct and an eight, even though the horse isn't s super mover. And I see this 3rdish/4thish level test done in bridles that work best for the horse, not everyone in a double so they can get that super up, cranked in look that is so prevalent in dressage at all levels, even though it's incorrect.
          This (and Rolex earlier this year) is the first time I have watched all the Dressage, and I must say, I agree! Very enjoyable. Yes, some rides may have looked tense and cranked, but compared to the distant past, not much.

Of course, in the distant past the horses had to be twice (at least) as fit, so, it did make the Dressage tests a tad more... interesting?

But seriously, these test, for the most part, were, as the Oirish would say, "CLASS"!

Kudos to everyone who rode!!
          co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

And I LOVE watching these horses that are, for the most part, more TB than anything else!!!
            co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

You really should not compare the two versions of dressage. You need a totally different kind of horse for eventing than you do for pure dressage. What do you think would happen if you asked an Olympic dressage horse to run that XC course ? You cannot expect an event horse to have the carrying power and muscle expected of a dressage horse, it would be counter productive for XC. That's why they have relatively simpler tests. It's like comparing a sprinter to a marathon runner; the sprinter requires a lot more technique and pure power to shave 100ths, whereas the marathon runner has more success with efficiency, but they're both running.
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                So true. Most dressage horses descend from carriage horses.
                viney, now you're just trolling!

Comment

There were a lot of really amazing rides this weekend! Some very classy pairs to be sure. I did really enjoy seeing how forward these eventing dressage tests were, especially those canter extensions. Talk about WOW!
                  Reasons I'm crazy, #37: I went out shopping for a pony and came home with a 17hh OTTB

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                    viney, now you're just trolling!
                    But what she said is absolutely true!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

In "regular" dressage some of these horses would have been nailed badly. But, I think in regular dressage, for most people at most levels, it's OK to see lack of perfection. These ARE international level athletes that may have canters that look stiff and unbalanced, but is that really true, or is it just that different horses can accomplish the same thing, but look far different?

The international/Olympic level is somewhat of a different jump, but I think that's part of the problem.

Yes, of course the end result is different in that these horses have a different level of muscle and stamina building at the highest level, but in general it shouldn't be that different. I don't think a dressage horse should have any problem on the cross country course, and I'm sure the Klimke's do that with their dressage horses.

I don't think I see any more tension that in regular dressage. Horses are all different and show and respond differently. I think I like that these horses are "allowed" to have some tension and personality and "get away" with it. Though, from the ones I've seen, I've been impressed with how relaxed and trying these horses are. (I haven't seen the Russian guy.)

I just like that I'm seeing pencil necked horses, big bulky horses, flat horses, fancy movers, all with their flaws doing the same thing in a different way and being scored for how well THEY do it, and not looking for flaws. I wish I were scored like that at 3rd/4th level. The judges really seem to be more looking for what they can do instead of, I dunno, looking for what it could have been on a nicer horse?

Comment

If you gave me a choice between tickets to watch eventing dressage and tickets to watch the Grand Prix dressage proper, I'll take the eventing dressage every time. I find it much more pleasurable to watch and with more expression.
                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                          If you gave me a choice between tickets to watch eventing dressage and tickets to watch the Grand Prix dressage proper, I'll take the eventing dressage every time. I find it much more pleasurable to watch and with more expression.

Agree!!

Comment

I doubt very seriously if most big time Dressage horses could do a XC course at an UL even if they were trained for it. It all comes down to the type of muscle fibers and the MtDNA that powers those muscles. Dressage horses have been tested (there are scientific papers from Spain, Germany, and The Netherlands) and just don't have enough short twitch and type IIa & b muscle fibers to make the stamina necessary for an extended galloping course.

If I sound a bit confused, it's because it's been about three years since I did research into horse muscle fiber types.

Comment

They did the WEG test event in conjuction with Rolex and it was very interesting seeing the CDI classes in the same time frame as the CCI dressage. I thought the CDI horse were stiff and without much lateral flexibilty.

Extensions and collection were all about what was happening below without much change front to back in the body. Most surprising--since I don't watch a lot of UL dressage--was how completely locked the heads and necks looked. The eventers (the good rides) were more unpredictable but lots more relaxed looking. CDI horses just looked uncomfortable to me.

Comment

The extended canter to collected canter transitions are much better, in general, for eventers than for the real dressage horses. I recall Custom Made being able to do one that took my breath away, it was so light and soft and yet so very serious.
                                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                                  The extended canter to collected canter transitions are much better, in general, for eventers than for the real dressage horses. I recall Custom Made being able to do one that took my breath away, it was so light and soft and yet so very serious.
                                  Yup, kinda important going xc

ETA:Back when I was eventing whips in dressage weren't allowed, the reason being if the horse wasn't in front of the leg you didn't have a prayer xc
                                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                                  Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
                                    I felt that in regular dressage some of those canters would have been scored lowef.

I like the ordinary horse idea, but some of the canter looked just painful (in collection), and that would lose, yes, to a horse that was rounder but more able to carry IMO

What i liked was the open forward look and extensions and ground covering look.

What I didnt like was the heavy in the reins and very tense look with lack of self carriage.

I am not distracted by the feet... Most of what people claim to be "flashy" has one hell of a hind end, and that would take a huge chunk out of this competition.

What is interesting is that to me most of the horses looked like they were in the contact, yes some were being held together fairly tightly, but I preferred it to some of the straight dressage I have seen lately with many horses behind the vertical and have a certain tense look as in backed off the bridle too much more my liking, not so much self carriage as some (not all of course!) look afraid of the contact versus stretching into it. Of course I do not ride at that level and those are just my observations off some of the riding I have seen! So I will not comment about what is right and what is wrong so much as just that is what I have seen with my eyes and I will say I preferred the slightly longer frame (mostly through the neck) of the eventing dressage versus some of the straight dressage where I am always thinking to myself "man those horses have such short necks" then they walk out on a looser rein and it turns out their necks aren't that short! Again just my observations and preferences not that one is right and the other is wrong!
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

I particularly liked the test of the French (Saumur trained) Lionel Guyon. He didn't score as well as some of the others, but his horse was always completely relaxed, correct and accurate.

Comment

We tend to forget that while we can say the dressage horses couldnt do the xcountry, these horses mostly couldnt do Gp as well. I only saw maybe two that looked comfortable enough to train more collection.
                                        http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X