• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

GOLD FOR....CANADA!!! Hope everyone has been informed by now...??!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLD FOR....CANADA!!! Hope everyone has been informed by now...??!

from the NBC site:

HONG KONG (AP) - Eric Lamaze of Canada has ridden Hickstead to the gold medal in Olympic equestrian individual jumping.

Lamaze won a timed jump-off with Rolf-Goran BENGTSSON of Sweden on Ninja, who took the silver in Thursday's competition.

U.S. rider Beezie Maddenon Authentic won the bronze.

Lamaze and Bengtsson were among 10 riders with clean rides in the first rounds, but they were the only ones to cleanly finish the second round.

Bengtsson knocked down one rail in the jump-off, while Lamaze went clean to win the gold
    Last edited by Sabine; Aug. 22, 2008, 01:26 AM. Reason: to set the record straight!!
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Wooooo hoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
    Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Fabulous!

He deserved it

Comment

Would you like to change the headline? There were several requests for no spoilers...
        madeline
        * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Originally posted by Madeline View Post
          Would you like to change the headline? There were several requests for no spoilers...
          But, realistically, those people should then not log onto the www on a BB with a category given to the Olympics, ya know? Or read email, or listen to the radio or watch tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreene View Post
            But, realistically, those people should then not log onto the www on a BB with a category given to the Olympics, ya know? Or read email, or listen to the radio or watch tv.
            Yes, but...You can't even log in to any of the forums when that header is blazing.. It seems like such a small request. And so easy to fulfil.
            madeline
            * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Agree totally; in any case, anyone in Canada listening to radio/TV or logging onto the Web already knows.

I'm so thrilled for Eric, Hickstead (who has the most intelligent eyes--love that horse) and the Canadian team!

Comment

Awwww man! Seriously this totally ruined my day. I totally didn't watch the Olympics this morning because I wanted to watch it later with my husband and be surprised.
                I avoided everything possible and thought that COTH was a safe place based on the fact that people asked not to spoil it for them.
                I've been following a few threads here on the Olympic category, so it was rather disappointing to see this..... grrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by jse View Post
                  Awwww man! Seriously this totally ruined my day. I totally didn't watch the Olympics this morning because I wanted to watch it later with my husband and be surprised.
                  I avoided everything possible and thought that COTH was a safe place based on the fact that people asked not to spoil it for them.
                  I've been following a few threads here on the Olympic category, so it was rather disappointing to see this..... grrrrrr
                  Okay, but let's be serious. You're on an EQUESTRIAN website that started a special forum for the Olympics. With over 22,000 members from around the world, including the very proud Canadians. If you didn't want to see it, then stay offline. Don't read email, don't listen to the news, don't watch tv. That news was all over the electronic media two seconds after it happened.

Comment

My hard hat is off to the course designer on this one...one very clear winner. How cool is that?
                    www.canterusa.org

Comment

Yes, but...You can't even log in to any of the forums when that header is blazing.. It seems like such a small request. And so easy to fulfil.

But who started the show jumping thread that had the word SPOILERS in it....watch the TV not the net if you don't want to know. Some of us get very excited about the riding, and can't help but informing those who have no access to coverage.
                      Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

Originally posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
                        Agree totally; in any case, anyone in Canada listening to radio/TV or logging onto the Web already knows.

I'm so thrilled for Eric, Hickstead (who has the most intelligent eyes--love that horse) and the Canadian team!
                        Do you remember Deister? There is something about Hickstead's expression and eyes that remind me of Deister.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozart View Post
                          Do you remember Deister? There is something about Hickstead's expression and eyes that remind me of Deister.
                          No, unfortunately, I don't... I'm a relative novice to this though I've watched show jumping on the CBC since the Big Ben days.

Comment

Originally posted by willowoodstables View Post
                            But who started the show jumping thread that had the word SPOILERS in it....watch the TV not the net if you don't want to know. Some of us get very excited about the riding, and can't help but informing those who have no access to coverage.
                            Actually, as you well know, I started that thread, BUT the thread title revealed nothing but the presence of hidden spoilers.

If you read "Individual Showjumping-spoilers to come" and feel that I have revealed the outcome of the day's sport, you need a bit of help with your reading.

If you come onto the opening page of the whole BB and see "Gold for Canada" as a header for a topic, the only mystery left is "Ian or Eric?"

I was just asking for the thread title to be changed, as people had requested no spoilers. I will admit that I got irritated at the Canadian who was spilling the beans on the running thread because , for some reason, the Canadian TV feed was about 30-45 seconds ahead of the live feed. When told that I was being nasty, I just stopped refreshing during rounds and only read when I knew the outcome of the round. But an innocent coming to the forum and not wanting to know the results who is greeted with "Gold for Canada" has no recourse. You can't unring a bell.

As I see it, warning about the location of spoilers is a bit differrent from putting them in the headline.
                            madeline

Comment

I am so happy for Eric-if one of our Americans couldn't win, I wanted someone from Canada to win-keep it on the North American Continent! He has overcome soo much in his life and the first thing he did was point to Hickstead acknowleging that it was him that did it! I admire him for that and overcoming his drug problem! I am happy for Beezie and Authentic too!

Comment

Actually, as you well know, I started that thread, BUT the thread title revealed nothing but the presence of hidden spoilers.

If you read "Individual Showjumping-spoilers to come" and feel that I have revealed the outcome of the day's sport, you need a bit of help with your reading.

If you come onto the opening page of the whole BB and see "Gold for Canada" as a header for a topic, the only mystery left is "Ian or Eric?"

I was just asking for the thread title to be changed, as people had requested no spoilers. I will admit that I got irritated at the Canadian who was spilling the beans on the running thread because , for some reason, the Canadian TV feed was about 30-45 seconds ahead of the live feed. When told that I was being nasty, I just stopped refreshing during rounds and only read when I knew the outcome of the round. But an innocent coming to the forum and not wanting to know the results who is greeted with "Gold for Canada" has no recourse. You can't unring a bell.

As I see it, warning about the location of spoilers is a bit differrent from putting them in the headline.

Fair enough, misleading myself I guess with the spoiler in the heading. My apologies.
                                Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

When I saw the thread title as it is now (having apparently been changed), I thought whoever had started it was really angry about the Gold and was cussing someone out for awarding it to the "wrong" rider. Those symbols are traditionally used in comics, etc., to signify the speaker cursing.

It would've been clearer, in my opinion, to just have a long dash, ellipses, or some other space indicator. I seriously read it to mean cursing. As in "Oh, ???^%$@#$! Sweden didn't win gold!"
                                  Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
                                  People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
                                  "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Hahahaha Wellspotted, I thought the same!

But I'm sooooo happy for Eric Lamaze. And Beezie Madden! They can't stop talking about it on the radio... I'm glad Eric seems to have overcome all the issues!
                                    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
                                    Working Student Blog
                                    Current Blog

Comment

Yay, yay and oh YAY!!!!!! I knew our riders would do well...just knew it!

Comment

Well, I had to record it, didn't want to know the results and somehow figured out that I would need to stay OFF the computer to do so. And so I was completely unaware when I watched it. Is it really so hard to do? Why would you expect all the other members on this board NOT to discuss the winners when all YOU have to do is stay off the computer?????
                                        Laurie

Comment

Working...
                                        X