• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doping Drama in Show Jumping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doping Drama in Show Jumping

    The 2008 Olympic Games are tainted by major doping dramas in the show jumping discipline. German Christian Ahlmann's Cöster was caught on capsaicin. He has been immediately eliminated from competition.

    Other horses probably caught for doping are Chupa Chup of the Braziliaan Bernardo Alves, Latinus of the Irishman Dennis Lynch and Camiro of the Noor Tony Andre Hansen. If Camiro proves to be positive, Norway will loose its team bronze medal.

    Furthermore, Will Simpson has also been mentioned in this new doping affaire.

    There is a press conference today at 12h GMT explaining what has been going on.
    --
    Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
    http://www.eurodressage.com

  • #2
    Wow, what a mess. It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.

    IOC is just going to LOVE equestrian sports now. Between the judging controversy in dressage and now a doping scandal in show jumping, I wouldn't be surprised to see IOC make a move to drop equestrian completely from future Olympics.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      The four top names have been confirmed as tested positive. Simpson not yet.. so there might be no issue with him. We'll see.
      --
      Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
      http://www.eurodressage.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
        I wouldn't be surprised to see IOC make a move to drop equestrian completely from future Olympics.
        Princess Haya of Jordan wouldn't let them dare drop Equestrian. Implement changes? Boy, howdy. But not drop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Text of BBC report

          Edited to add: text of NBC (AP) report
          Last edited by CookiePony; Aug. 21, 2008, 07:51 AM.
          SportHorseRiders.com
          Taco Blog
          *T3DE 2010 Pact*

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I hope they fire all those grooms or whoever fed the horses because we know those riders would never be so stupid tongue firmly planted in cheek.
            Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              There are no positive tests from the 20 event horses and 20 dressage horses tested in Hong Kong.
              --
              Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
              http://www.eurodressage.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ridgeback View Post
                Well I hope they fire all those grooms or whoever fed the horses because we know those riders would never be so stupid tongue firmly planted in cheek.

                http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by eurodressage View Post
                  The 2008 Olympic Games are tainted by major doping dramas in the show jumping discipline. German Christian Ahlmann's Cöster was caught on capsaicin. He has been immediately eliminated from competition.

                  Other horses probably caught for doping are Chupa Chup of the Braziliaan Bernardo Alves, Latinus of the Irishman Dennis Lynch and Camiro of the Noor Tony Andre Hansen. If Camiro proves to be positive, Norway will loose its team bronze medal.

                  Furthermore, Will Simpson has also been mentioned in this new doping affaire.

                  There is a press conference today at 12h GMT explaining what has been going on.

                  Where was Will Simpson mentioned? It is not in any of the reports I have read on the internet.
                  "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

                  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
                    Where was Will Simpson mentioned? It is not in any of the reports I have read on the internet.
                    I was wondering the same thing, I don't see it either --- perhaps his horse was the random pick as each team had one horse tested. We will try to
                    get an email to him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
                      Where was Will Simpson mentioned? It is not in any of the reports I have read on the internet.
                      Ditto that. Where did you hear that Will was implicated?? How disappointing about the rest... odd that they are all testing positive for the same substance.
                      Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A report on Horse and Hound says Denis Lynch admitted to using Equiblock on his horse and this, apparently, contains the substance. It says he commonly applies it to his horse's lower back before exercise.

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          #13
                          Will's name was mentioned online.. But nothing further so the test was probably negative
                          --
                          Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
                          http://www.eurodressage.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Roulett View Post
                            perhaps his horse was the random pick as each team had one horse tested.
                            Really?!?

                            I would have thought every single horse there would be tested.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ridgeback View Post
                              Well I hope they fire all those grooms or whoever fed the horses because we know those riders would never be so stupid tongue firmly planted in cheek.
                              They don't feed it, capsacain is used for hypersensitization

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Not that I'm questioning the result of the drug tests, but if they were indeed using the EquiBlock products and that's what caused the positive test, maybe the website should change it's advertising. The following is from a website that sells equine supplies:

                                "Racehorse Strength Equi-Block is the number one equine topical pain reliever sold worldwide. The reason for this is simple, effectiveness and results! Racehorse Strength Equi-Block blocks more pain, decreases more inflammation, works faster, lasts longer (most horses receive up to 24 hours of pain relief), requires less product and less applications to achieve desired results! Racehorse Strength Equi-Block will not scurf or blister and will absolutely not test positive.

                                Racehorse Strength Equi-Block has proven itself to be extremely effective on several kinds of degenerative joint disease such as arthritis, bursitis, bone chips, etc. in the knees, hocks, fetlocks and stifles. It is also very effective at relieving soft tissue soreness such as strained suspensories, bowed tendons, bucked shins, splint and curb problems. Equi-Block is very effective on hoof pain; it has the unique ability to decrease hoof inflammation when applied to the coronet and pastern. Before using Equi-Block on hoof problems, please consult your Veterinarian for proper evaluation of the hoof.

                                DIRECTIONS Apply just enough Racehorse Strength Equi-Block to cover the affected area evenly by hand. Apply to both sides of a joint where applicable (i.e. if applying to hock rub into front, sides and back of hock). This gives maximum pain relieving results as nerve endings can pick up pain signals from several different angles. Always slick the hair down in its natural direction. Remove any excess. Do not wrap the area, as this will most likely cause unnecessary discomfort for your animal. Do not apply more than 3 to 4 times daily."

                                Contains: Capsicin and Levvonemol. Will not test, blister or scurf.


                                Interesting.
                                ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by 3DogNight View Post
                                  Not that I'm questioning the result of the drug tests, but if they were indeed using the EquiBlock products and that's what caused the positive test, maybe the website should change it's advertising. The following is from a website that sells equine supplies:

                                  "Racehorse Strength Equi-Block is the number one equine topical pain reliever sold worldwide. The reason for this is simple, effectiveness and results! Racehorse Strength Equi-Block blocks more pain, decreases more inflammation, works faster, lasts longer (most horses receive up to 24 hours of pain relief), requires less product and less applications to achieve desired results! Racehorse Strength Equi-Block will not scurf or blister and will absolutely not test positive.

                                  Racehorse Strength Equi-Block has proven itself to be extremely effective on several kinds of degenerative joint disease such as arthritis, bursitis, bone chips, etc. in the knees, hocks, fetlocks and stifles. It is also very effective at relieving soft tissue soreness such as strained suspensories, bowed tendons, bucked shins, splint and curb problems. Equi-Block is very effective on hoof pain; it has the unique ability to decrease hoof inflammation when applied to the coronet and pastern. Before using Equi-Block on hoof problems, please consult your Veterinarian for proper evaluation of the hoof.

                                  DIRECTIONS Apply just enough Racehorse Strength Equi-Block to cover the affected area evenly by hand. Apply to both sides of a joint where applicable (i.e. if applying to hock rub into front, sides and back of hock). This gives maximum pain relieving results as nerve endings can pick up pain signals from several different angles. Always slick the hair down in its natural direction. Remove any excess. Do not wrap the area, as this will most likely cause unnecessary discomfort for your animal. Do not apply more than 3 to 4 times daily."

                                  Contains: Capsicin and Levvonemol. Will not test, blister or scurf.

                                  Interesting.
                                  Which is why you never believe the advertising on what will and won't test positive.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    You know, I'm not sure exactly why capsaicin should be banned. Unless it's applied at levels that cause blistering and skin irritation, I'm not clear that it is performance enhancing or cheating or detrimental to the horse any more than applying ice is.

                                    And I'm pretty sure it's legal for human athletes, or else people from several countries would have to give up their native diets.
                                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      It's listed as a class A painkiller--while it doesn't have that effect when eaten, it IS used in a lot of topical OTC painkiller ointments. Whether it's banned for human topical use, I don't know (I've never sat down and read the entire IOC drug list) but in horses it's considered a topical painkiller in addition to a potential performance enhancer (the soring/blistering part.)
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                        It's listed as a class A painkiller--while it doesn't have that effect when eaten, it IS used in a lot of topical OTC painkiller ointments. Whether it's banned for human topical use, I don't know (I've never sat down and read the entire IOC drug list) but in horses it's considered a topical painkiller in addition to a potential performance enhancer (the soring/blistering part.)
                                        I understand why they've classified it that way, I just don't agree with it. In my personal experience, the painkilling effect is similar to that of ice, which is to say small, temporary, and not likely to cause harm to the athlete unless visible blisters or skin irritation is present.

                                        I mean, I suppose you could set a horse's mouth on fire with it, which would be abusive, but that would not be performance-beneficial.
                                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X