• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

extended trots in dressage vs eventing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extended trots in dressage vs eventing

kick me if I'm wrong, but to my eyes many of the trot extensions in eventing looked much better than those in dressage. The eventing horses seemed looser and truly lengthened their frame in the extended trot, but many of the dressage horses looked too tense, with exaggerated leg action but without much lengthening through the frame.

what do you think?

I saw the exact opposite. No stretching through the frame in the extentions on the eventers, even between the spooks. The grand prix dressage horses were grand prix dressage horses as usual and I loved it.
    Originally posted by The Centaurian
    As far as I am concerned, leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

Comment

I do like watching the eventing dressage. I don't know if that's because they're at the levels I'm riding at or if it's something inherent.

The eventers do have an advantage, which is that most of them are not maxed out athletically at the 3rd/4th level test. This means that all those years of dressage are spent polishing the movements they do rather than pushing the envelope for competitive canter pirouettes, passage, etc.

I haven't watched enough of the straight dressage this year to see how I feel about the relative extended trots, but I will say I'll put David O'Connor's extended canter to collected canter transitions at the Sydney games against any dressage performance by anyone else in the world at any level. They are so light and so accurate.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

The eventers are performing at a much lower level. You can't compare how they look, to how the dressage horses look. You're comparing third level to grand prix. There is much less collection in the eventers.

The eventers, to me, had much flatter, quicker extended trots, with less balance. When they lengthened their frame it was more in their necks, and affected their balance negatively. But that is what you expect at the lower level. The extension doesn't come as much from lengthening the stride, it comes from lengthening the neck. Less extension of stride is possible, but that is third level.

The dressage horses have a different kind of gait, too. The eventers have a quicker, lower stride. The dressage horses lift their knees and hocks higher.

I am very often told by many lower level eventers, "I just don't like that kind of gait", and people from hunter backgrounds where a low, 'daisy cutter' gait is preferred, their 'eye' just doesn't like a horse that moves differently. A horse with a higher lift to his knees and hocks looks very, very different when he is collected, and when he extends, and when he does changes, etc.

When a GP horse is doing an extended trot, his head and neck remain higher than at 2nd-3rd level, and the lengthening of frame is more in the angle of the head to the neck, than in the whole neck dropping and lowering, which would cause problems with balance, but even worse, would make it far, far more difficult to do the next thing in the GP test, which might be a piaffe or passage, which require maximum collection. That transition is emphasized in the scoring, often getting its own mark, so the transition is very, very important.

The extended trots in some of the dressage horses, that were over cadenced and too high, did not score the best scores. These trots aren't actually 'passages', they are just over-cadenced and hovering. This happens when the horse is getting tired, distracted, or whatever keeps him from being even and forward off the leg.

The other thing is in the first class, many of the horses did not perform well. I think that the arena was bothering all the horses, even the ones that did not spook. During the Grand Prix Special all the dressage horses were more relaxed.

Again, when you are doing Grand Prix, it is different from doing third level as far as how much tension there is. THis just a part of doing Grand Prix the horses need to be much, much more between the rein and leg and more collected, and have to be ridden every stride much more - and they are getting pushed very hard to show maximum collection and extension, plus they are doing piaffe, passage, which they have to exert a great deal of energy, so the dressage horses are much, much more 'treading on the edge'. It is a lot harder to keep a horse relaxed in a GP test than in a 2nd-3rd level test.

A third level test is JUST busy enough to keep a horse paying attention, yet it doesn't ask that much of the horse, so you always see fewer spooks and fewer disobediences. Because the horses are just less 'excited', 'aroused' (in sports psychology terminology).

Comment

Originally posted by slc2 View Post

The eventers, to me, had much flatter, quicker extended trots, with less balance. When they lengthened their frame it was more in their necks, and affected their balance negatively. But that is what you expect at the lower level. The extension doesn't come as much from lengthening the stride, it comes from lengthening the neck. Less extension of stride is possible, but that is third level.

The dressage horses have a different kind of gait, too. The eventers have a quicker, lower stride. The dressage horses lift their knees and hocks higher.

A third level test is JUST busy enough to keep a horse paying attention, yet it doesn't ask that much of the horse, so you always see fewer spooks and fewer disobediences. Because the horses are just less 'excited', 'aroused' (in sports psychology terminology).

A lot of the eventers were top riders, their horses were extending properly, not simply lengthening their necks.

Not all eventers move like sewing machines, some of them have quite nice active movement.

I hardly think the eventers are less "excited" or "aroused"....their riders are doing everything they can from keeping them from exploding...
          Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
          https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
            A lot of the eventers were top riders, their horses were extending properly, not simply lengthening their necks.

Not all eventers move like sewing machines, some of them have quite nice active movement.

I hardly think the eventers are less "excited" or "aroused"....their riders are doing everything they can from keeping them from exploding...
            To my eye, Ingrid Klimke on her horse Abraxxas had a VERY correct and lovely extended trot. Much lovelier than some of the bunched up, front leg flipping dressage horses.
            "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
            Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
              To my eye, Ingrid Klimke on her horse Abraxxas had a VERY correct and lovely extended trot. Much lovelier than some of the bunched up, front leg flipping dressage horses.
              Yes, she did and MANY of the GP dressage horses are *not* doing an extended properly.

The nose is supposed to be in *front* of the vertical and pointing to where the foot is to land, not bent at C3 and/or behind the vertical.

And that's straight out of the FEI rules.

Eileen
              Mad Mare™ Studio
              Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
              http://MadMare.com

Comment

You can't really compare the extensions because as mentioned, you're comparing 3rd level work to Grand Prix. The Grand Prix horses looked like the eventers when they were at 3rd level. In Grand Prix, they are asked to be more collected with higher frames and elevation. It's apples to oranges.

Comment

From what I watched, some of the eventers were doing more of a 1st Level Lengthen stride at the working trot than a true extended trot. The GP horses were all going for the extended trot- they just did it with varying degrees of impulsion in the hind end (some had flashy front ends with flicking toes and not so much behind and some were beautiful).

Comment

I'm sorry, but you just have NOT figured out BBR - bulletin board reality.

The dressage horse that scores lower ALWAYS is the much better horse

they don't win because the judges are blind, paid off and incompetent (all at the same time, in fact),

actually, the WORST dressage horses are the ones that win, because the judges are just scoring that way, because they're incompetent, blind and paid off, so they all get together and conspire to have the same 1-2 people win over and over,

ANYTHING a chronic winner does is BAD and WRONG, ANYTHING an American rider does is kind, caring and 'for the horse',

ANYTIME an american doesn't get a medal it's because the judges are blind, paid off and incompetent.

American rider's mistakes in dressage don't matter, or are invisible, or unimportant. Foreign rider's mistakes DO matter.

When a foreign dressage rider has a mistake, it's because they are a bad rider, train incorrectly, and don't care about their horse, and the horse has just had it up to here, and finally just up and says, 'eff you'.

When an American dressage rider has a mistake, it's because it's too hot out, or that is just one of those things that happens and horses are not robots, the rider was trying his best, etc.

Foreign riders NEVER 'try their best', and they don't have a clue how to really ride their horses correctly; their coaches, all the tests they've ridden and gained experience from, all the medals they've won, don't give them as much insight and experience at the international level as a training level rider from Resume Speed, Iowa, who could give them a few pointers and straighen them up right
                    away.

However, American riders, despite far less experience, mileage and coaching, don't have that problem.

dressage horses should be thrown out of the ring for lifting their feet off the ground,

a piaffe where the horse looks like a circus elephant on a ball is the best piaffe, and

the TRULY best horse is the one that is discovered pulling a cart or doing riot control for a police man, or is WHITE, or BOTH, and

the event horses ALWAYS do much better dressage than the dressage horses, because they don't lift their feet as far off the ground.

Every Olympics, without fail. Get with the program, Girl!
                    Last edited by slc2; Aug. 19, 2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Now that I think about it, my most lasting memory of these games will probably be Klimke's extended trot on Abraxxas. It's etched in my brain cells.

Comment

Yeah I was taught like Roan. And a lot of the gp horses were 'flicking' their feet out.
                        But granted eventers really do have a different set and type of muscles. So, look at the ideal for 3rd level extensions and that's the goal of eventing extensions.
                        I would take a comparison of Klimke and Ahlerich. There's a youtube somewhere. And then Bettina on Ringwood Cockatoo. It is said this eventer could have made a gp dr horse. Or, David OC in Sydney. He still hold the record for best score.
                        Headley Britannia is a small quick mover but she's still correct as can be. Just not fancy schmancy like Salinero
                        Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Too bad Klimke didn't ever HAVE a horse named Abraxxas at the Olympics, vineyridge.

Can you get your memory re-etched?

Comment

Too bad Klimke didn't ever HAVE a horse named Abraxxas at the Olympics, vineyridge.

Can you get your memory re-etched?
                            His daughter, Ingrid, had an event horse in THIS Olympics named Abraxxas. That's what I'm referring to. My memories from THESE games.

Comment

I didn't see any ingrid mentioned and i thought you were referring to the ooh'd and aaah'd over video on the bb, of klimke at the 84 olympics with ahlerich.

Comment

I didn't see any ingrid mentioned and i thought you were referring to the ooh'd and aaah'd over video on the bb, of klimke at the 84 olympics with ahlerich.
                                I guess you didn't read post number 6.
                                The only "Klimlke" vineyridge referred to on this thread is Ingrid.
                                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

First, a third level extended trot is going to be different from a Grend Prix extended trot.

Second, many years ago I heard Linda Oliver complaining about having to compete on less than perffect grass footing. She said that if the horse has a slight stumble at the extended trot because of uneven ground, he would no longer trust the footing, and it would be difficult to get as full an extended trot in the future because the horse would be holding "something in reserve" in case of uneven ground.

The eventers ride on uneven ground all the time. The horses ALWAYS keep "something in reserve" to deal with a miss-step. and you want them to.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

That's correct. I didn't know she was talking about Ingrid Klimke, I thought she was talking about that all the dressage horses sucked so bad, that all she could do was cherish the fond memory of The Old Man at the 84 Olympics. Why did I think that? Because of all the OTHER nonsensical trash that's being said about this Olympic's dressage riders.

Comment

I enjoyed the eventing dressage HUGELY.

It was different, but lovely.

I don't think many of those backs were as easy to sit on as higher level or dressage-only horses.

I really, really loved watching it. I found it by accident on the 'net, live feed, and am SO GLAD I did. I'll be sure to look for it in the future.

It was perhaps equally inspiring for ME. Could be as Poltroon said, because it's where I am working (not the eventing part! ) and so my understanding of it is greater.

For ME it was easier to tell what was a Very Good Extension. My opinions/impressions were right in line with the judges' for the eventing dressage. Not so much for the GP. Probably because there's so much *more* and I'm nowhere NEAR there yet.
                                      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Apples vs Oranges!
                                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                        X