• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Authentic??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic??

Authentic stopped??? Wow! That is something I never expected! Do you think he misunderstood Beezie's half halt or do you think he meant to run out? I am in shock! While I have never liked Authentic's style, he has always gotten the job done. And I am a huge Beezie fan.

From my comfy chair, it looked like he fought her in the turn and propped, which made them lose the distance very close to a huge combination. It then looked like Beezie's decision not to risk it without any impulsion. I could most definitely be wrong, though...I'm not the one out there!

I guess we'll know more when COTH interviews Beezie or GM.

Comment

Melanie said he was shaking his head as though he had something in his ear. He was holding one to the side after the line.
      Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Comment

He definitely had his mind on something else than the jump. His ears were covered, I wonder if something flew up his nose. How unfortunate.

Why is it that every single time an announcer starts saying how perfect or reliable a horse is something bad happens?

Comment

He was absolutely shaking his head, again in the line before they took the rail. Something was getting to him - he just never even locked on to that first fence.
          life + horses
          beljoeor.blogspot.com

Comment

From my point of view, Lessonlady, Authentic didn't even focus on the fence because he was shaking his head. Beezie ended up next to the left standard in total surprise and circled quickly to jump it. Maybe an ear plug shook loose under his bonnet? Just a wild guess on my past. It was extremely unfortunate.

Comment

From Beezie's blog:

I wish I could say exactly what happened with Authentic. John and I aren’t totally sure. Just before the triple, he started shaking his head violently and moving his ear as if he had water in it or something. He was completely distracted, and since he was shaking his head so much, I had no control at all. He had no idea that triple was coming up until he was almost on top of the jump standard, and then he ducked out of the way. We circled and jumped through the triple, but he was still shaking his head pretty badly throughout. He has shaken his head like that before, but never so that it’s affected his performance. He is such a great horse and he has come through so often for me. We couldn’t love him more – these kind of things have to be expected once in a while.

Authentic seems to be fine now. I’ll take him out in the morning, make sure everything’s okay, and then ride him again in the evening as usual since we’re competing late in the evening.
              http://www.backontrackdocumentary.com/albie/

Comment

Lori beat me to it, but he was so obviously irritated by something and shaking his head hard.

No doubt he'll come back and be spectacular.

It's weird, his type is not usually one I like, but I have adored this horse from the first moment I ever saw him. There is just something about him that makes me swoon. I love him! And I felt so bad for the two today, but know they'll rise above.
                "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Authentic isn't perfect, no horse is-- but he's dammed good and one thing I have NEVER seen/heard of him doing is refusing. Whatever it was that was distracting him had to have distracted him enough that he just didn't have any idea where he was going. I hope they're able to figure out what happened, because that is just unlike him! What a shame.
                  ~Veronica
                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Bummer. I love Authentic. Hopefully if just a bad bug or something, he will be perfectly fine for the rest. I always remember him on the broadcast of the WEG highlights, in the rider switch-off, when the other woman gave him LEG and he reacted accordingly. The announcer said, "I don't think she's used to riding a horse as responsive as Authentic is." But he left the fence up, even then.

I seem to remember a dressage horse years and years ago (Ideaal?) who suddenly went into a head tossing, shaking, snorting, weird breathing fit at a major competition during his test, and his rider had to retire and undo the noseband. He had had had a bug fly up his nose. Soon as it was gone, he was fine. The weirdest things can happen if you follow horses long enough.

Better luck next round, Beezie and Authentic.

Comment

Okay a little off topic, but that tail of his makes me paranoid! I swear everytime he jumps it looks like his tail is about to knock down a rail. I just want to chop it off, lol.
                      Smileys, the internet's botox

Comment

Terribly bad luck. Just shows anything can happen. Beezie looked the part though.

Just wanted to say how nicely turned out some of the horses and teams are. Old Pony Club DC here - I know jumpers don't usually braid, but this is the Olympics. Beautifully braided horses, hair in hair nets and helmets properly fitted with the harnesses done up securely. Some are exactly the opposite!!

They will come back and do awesome.
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Some might come from countries where their Pony Club doesn't teach the same protocol.
                          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

My thought was that his ear plug came out and was rattling around inside his ear net. He was so distracted by it that he didn't even engage the fence at all. Wasn't even on his radar screen.

I loved the NBC commentator who said that "just when you think that a horse is as automatic as a machine, something happens to remind you that they are only human...er, um, equine....uh, whatever."
                            "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

I thought an ear plug or cotton issue, too. And then my husband noticed that Authentic wasn't wearing his bonnet for the final round, which also seems to suggest that there was some sort of bonnet-related issue with the stop. It sure was shocking, but I'm glad it didn't ruin the US's chances.

Comment

Someone at work asked me why they had those funny things on their ears! I told her and also said he probably had some type of ear plug under that! That makes more sense to me that it had come out and was rattling round! But then why not use it yesterday!

No matter what I love he and Beezie! (but Judgement is my favorite horse, maybe 2nd to Sapphire!)
                                Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Comment

From Beezie's blog about why they left off the fly bonnet

From Beezie's most recent blog post:

"On another note, I’ve been asked about Authentic’s ear issue from yesterday and about our decision not to put the bonnet on today. In trying to figure out what happened, it occurred to us that he may have been sweating a lot under the bonnet and some may have dripped into his ear. It’s humid here and actually pretty comfortable, but when moving around, it’s easy to get very sweaty so that is our theory. We went without the bonnet knowing it’s not buggy here so he would be comfortable going without it."

Sounds like he doesn't use earplugs. And their reasoning makes sense to me, I could see a drop of sweat being annoying running down his ear canal. Anyway, it sure seems to have worked taking it off for the team finals, Authentic and the rest were awesome!

Comment

It wasn't exactly a refusal, it was like he turned himself right into the standard - no steering (NOT Beezie's fault). He just wasn't paying attention to where he was going - apparently because he had something in his ears?
                                    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                                      My thought was that his ear plug came out and was rattling around inside his ear net. He was so distracted by it that he didn't even engage the fence at all. Wasn't even on his radar screen.

I loved the NBC commentator who said that "just when you think that a horse is as automatic as a machine, something happens to remind you that they are only human...er, um, equine....uh, whatever."
                                      DIng Ding we have a winner!

Comment

Riding without the fly bonnet in the team finals doesn't mean he wasn't wearing earplugs. Plenty of horses wear earplugs without fly bonnets.

Comment

Working...
                                        X