Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Eric Lamaze rant on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AffirmedHope
    replied
    Originally posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    Seriously?? You don't think that riders and owners, many of whom are exhausted from traveling and who have spent over $50,000 (the owners) for the horses to be there deserve a quiet, well-stocked respite from the crowds and the vendor food as well as a place to network and strategize with their team?? Your jealousy's showing.
    This is what's funny to me about that whole paragraph. The only specific thing he said was that you had to walk through a construction zone to get to the VIP, but aside from saying 'ZZOMMMGGG ITS THE WUURSTTT EVERRRRR" he did not give specifics of why it was the worst ever. I doubt Bellissimo was serving cold cut sandwiches and tap water on plastic table linens.

Leave a comment:

• ladyj79
    replied
    Originally posted by skydy View Post

I doubt the owners felt that way. They want their horses well taken care of and know that their grooms are a major part of that. The organizers built the "bunks" and said they had "underestimated" the number of grooms. It was not mismanagement by the owners.

Obviously, if people are charged an outrageous amount of money for a table, they have every right to expect it to be nice.

I don't know what tables go for at the WEG but if you look at the prize lists for the big indoor shows they can be as much as $10,000.
    I'm not talking about the owners, I'm talking about the spectators/cothers who thought the accommodations were good enough. They are the same people saying owners and riders have no cause to complain about the VIP amenities they pay tens of thousands for.

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post

These are the same people who think it's cool for grooms to sleep in bunk beds in tents cause they should all just be happy to be there. Some people are awful.
    I doubt the owners felt that way. They want their horses well taken care of and know that their grooms are a major part of that. The organizers built the "bunks" and said they had "underestimated" the number of grooms. It was not mismanagement by the owners.

Obviously, if people are charged an outrageous amount of money for a table, they have every right to expect it to be nice.

I don't know what tables go for at the WEG but if you look at the prize lists for the big indoor shows they can be as much as $10,000.

Leave a comment:

• ladyj79
    replied
    Originally posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    Seriously?? You don't think that riders and owners, many of whom are exhausted from traveling and who have spent over $50,000 (the owners) for the horses to be there deserve a quiet, well-stocked respite from the crowds and the vendor food as well as a place to network and strategize with their team?? Your jealousy's showing.
    These are the same people who think it's cool for grooms to sleep in bunk beds in tents cause they should all just be happy to be there. Some people are awful.

Leave a comment:

• APirateLooksAtForty
    replied
    Originally posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    Once you write this, I stop reading. You are just a self important, spoiled brat of a person.

"There was no shaded area for the riders to watch the competition from. You had to walk through a construction site to get to the VIP area, and the prices the organizing committee was charging were completely unacceptable for what you received. The VIP was disgraceful compared to any other world championship."

Leave a comment:

• onthebit
    replied
    Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Another point of view from another team
    https://medium.com/@anvidiz/diary-of...o-f1d74d1914e9
    I think Eric was frustrated with the facilities mostly and the heat. He never used that as an excuse for his poor performance.
    I am glad that some athletes do speak up... yes, blame Canada as usual, blame Bromont.. at least they realized on time they did not have the financial backing to go ahead.. but I am sure Tryon made enough assurances and promises that everything would be ready... I blame the FEI for not having the guts to cancel/delay the Games and Tryon for not keeping promises... "They miscalculated the number of grooms" geeze, can't they check with previous Games/venues/Olympics to figure out the numbers?

Responding to the bolded part, backing out at the 11th hour doesn't qualify, to me, as "realizing on time they did not have the financial backing to go ahead." Like it or not the Canadians, or more specifically the organizing committee for the Bromont WEG, carry a lot of "blame" for the 2018 WEG not being perfect. THEY BACKED OUT very late in the cycle. Realistically they probably never should have bid at all, and the FEI shouldn't have awarded them the bid. I'd say the majority of any WEG debacle (Normandy was described by many as a debacle) mostly lies with the FEI. It seems to be well documented that they are corrupt, like to change their mind, change the requirements and parameters, and then blame organizers, officials, riders, or whomever happens to be handy in the moment when things don't work out. One needs to look no further than FEI level endurance to see a shining example of extreme corruption within the FEI.

As I've said on many threads, when Bromont backed out at such a late date the FEI shouldn't have tried to hold a WEG. They should have done it the old way where each discipline hosts their own championships at various venues. But undoubtedly people would have complained about that as well.

It is well known that Eric Lamaze does not like Mark Bellissimo. It sounds like many of Eric's points were legitimate, but some of it reads like sour grapes. Who knows what we would all be discussing right now if Bromont hadn't backed out. It would probably make this WEG look like the best sporting event in the history of equestrian sports.

Leave a comment:

• ladyj79
    replied
    What?! A German doesn't think the French did a good job?! That's unpossible!

Leave a comment:

• Tiramit
    replied
    Originally posted by Marydell View Post
    Copying this from Pam Stone, a local equestrian and author.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/201809...on-perspective
    This is a fair article. Loved these sections:

"The success of the two-week 2018 World Equestrian Games, which wrapped up Sunday at the Tryon International Equestrian Center, depends on who you ask.

And it's helpful to ascertain that the individual you ask actually attended the event, as rumors and accusations were not in short supply, particularly on social media, for the games' duration."

"To proclaim it a success takes a bit of perspective, particularly from those who have attended several in the past.

"Oh," one German gentleman exclaimed to a group with whom he was sitting, "this is so much better than it was in Normandy (the host site of the 2014 games). So much better!" "

Leave a comment:

• tabula rashah
    replied
    Originally posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    Once you write this, I stop reading. You are just a self important, spoiled brat of a person.

"There was no shaded area for the riders to watch the competition from. You had to walk through a construction site to get to the VIP area, and the prices the organizing committee was charging were completely unacceptable for what you received. The VIP was disgraceful compared to any other world championship."
    Okay- the shade part, whatever. But the VIP thing- yeah, that's pretty horrible. Do you know what those VIP tables usually cost? In my previous job I bought those tickets for the owners of the big time horses our riders were competing- it may not seem important to you but those owners expect that and they pay thousands for it. If we have no owners backing our horses/ sports, how many riders and trainers would be able to continue?
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Sep. 24, 2018, 09:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FitToBeTied
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Marydell
    replied
    Copying this from Pam Stone, a local equestrian and author.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/201809...on-perspective

Leave a comment:

• Marydell
    replied
    Just an FYI- KHP built the Alltech arena for the 2010 WEG. It did not exist before they were awarded the games and was still in construction just a few months ahead of the games.
    Funny about the ice skating comment as that may be far, far into the future LOL. But indoor shows are already booked for next year. This information came straight from the top

Leave a comment:

• belambi
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleTwistedWire View Post

How on earth does this "premiere" venue in the hot, humid south not have some kind of large capacity, climate controlled indoor area facility? Not an unusal thing for a facility that hosts even AA level competitions (KHP, WEC, VHC, PGEC, Harrisburg...) let alone FEI levels.
    So...I should have mentioned, It was not completely finished, as in it could not yet be sealed.
    I was advised by the organisers that it is infact being turned into an ice skating rink, as soon as WEG is over, with the ability to be utilised as an arena when required.

Leave a comment:

• Moosequito
    replied
    Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

You are so so so wrong. There are many many horsemen who are not 5* showjumping riders or grooms who do completely understand horse welfare and can manage ANY horse in ANY weather.
    I don't want to derail but just want to clarify: I definitely did not intend to imply that only 5* show jumping riders/grooms are good horsemen capable of understanding horse welfare. I was just pointing out that ladyj saying she is a former 5* groom is relevant to this discussion because her job meant she was privy to things most adult amateurs and even lower level professionals are not.

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheasmom2 View Post
    Do Olympic level horses not have poop and need nice stalls and water and grooms and riders who have to pee? Some things are exactly the same.
    Requirements for elimination by horse and human may be "exactly the same" however venue requirements of Pony Club and the FEI WEG are not the same.

Marydell, I'm sure most everyone did their best in that far from well orchestrated situation.

Leave a comment:

• Marydell
    replied
    I am actually a competitor(dressage) and spectator at TIEC often. The barns and arenas are some of the best in the world- yes- I have been at several International venues and even worked the Olympics. There are dedicated shade areas with misting fans at the entrance to every outdoor arena. They have been in place since the first show held here. There are about 1,200 permanent stalls on site, all with permanent fans and water every 4 stalls with wash racks and manure pits in safe and convenient locations, so ample safe stabling. Permanent restrooms with air conditioning are located at every barn.

The endurance venue went right by three sides of my farm, everything was done for weeks ahead of time to make the trails safe and clearly marked. Endurance riders trained for more than a week riding past. I know- I was there.

As far as the horrible events of the the endurance- look to the FEI and the ground jury, they are the only people who can make any decisions concerning an event that involves restarts and cancellation.

As to the weather, no one could have predicted such heat( I lived here for 21 years and never had we had this much heat and humidity at the same time in September- one or the other, not both) or the hurricane. The humidity of endurance day was due in large part to the stalling of a front from the midwest hitting the advancing hurricane.

As for scheduling- again- look to the FEI for that, they have complete control over the actual times of day events are run, not the organizers. Organizers can change things up to a point, but have to get approval from the FEI. As to start times- I asked about that today- they had to start at the times the FEI gave them for FEI TV for European viewers ( that is why Bejing was later in the day- to accommodate the European time frames)- they had no choice. NBC was not the culprit, nor were the organizers at TIEC.

As to the condition of the venue, there are back stories involving the FEI making changes early in the year that put TIEC in a no win situation. With the rains we had this year- 29 inches in 21 days- a historic high just in the month of July and even more in August, there was no way the concrete could dry in time to continue construction and be safe. This venue had only 18 months to get ready. This was a new venue that had a lot of growing to do and not enough time to do it. Stop complaining about the mess and be thankful that WEG 2018 was even held. Perhaps it would have been best (for the spectators) that it would have been cancelled and held in 2022 when TIEC would have had the time to be ready.--Again- look to the FEI for this. The test events were held under the in person eyes of the FEI- if any of them had not been run up to the standards set by the FEI, TIEC would not have gotten the go ahead.

There were last minute changes that the organizers were forced to make due to weather and also the USDA changing rules and regulations for the horses and the venues both onsite and off. The endurance route was changed just two weeks before the start of WEG as the USDA came in and demanded a wider trail than some areas could handle. This was due to piroplasmosis concerns that were not given to the organizers until the last few days of August. The trails had to be over 50 feet wide and the grass, leaves, etc had to be cut down to the bare ground to prevent ticks.

As a spectator for all two weeks, yes the first few days were unorganized and confusing. Volunteers were somewhat overwhelmed and gave incorrect information out. Yes, the VIP elevator did not even work the first day- and my husband and I are handicapped and would not have returned if TIEC had not fixed it. The staff at TIEC worked tirelessly to help us out. I know again personally that some of the staff were up and on their computers at 5:00 AM and still were there at 3:00 AM. I know the volunteers at the main arenas had a tent for food and drink, but I can't speak for the indoor venue. I know the judges had to eat in a tent one day with rainwater over their shoes. I had a scribe stay with me in my home because the organizers did not provide housing for them. I was on a list for week two competitors for housing due to a local inn burning down the first week. The second week was a far cry better than the first. Staff had a steep learning curve. Parking and shuttles became more reliable, food was in good supply and paper fans were handed out for free by some vendors. Some vendors pulled out early due to the low sales, some made a huge profit.

Nothing in life is perfect, but give TIEC credit for doing the very best they could in a very tough situation.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTwistedWire
    replied
    Originally posted by belambi View Post
    For those who were reining, any issues we had were addressed immediately.. Including the introduction of 3 nisting fans into the warn up arena... I actually competed in a wet shirt . not as the commentaters said because I was working up a sweat,, but because my warn up needed to consist of some time in the misting fan, since it was significantly hot in the indoor warmup arena.
    How on earth does this "premiere" venue in the hot, humid south not have some kind of large capacity, climate controlled indoor area facility? Not an unusal thing for a facility that hosts even AA level competitions (KHP, WEC, VHC, PGEC, Harrisburg...) let alone FEI levels.

Leave a comment:

• Sheasmom2
    replied
    Do Olympic level horses not have poop and need nice stalls and water and grooms and riders who have to pee? Some things are exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• ohsopersuasive
    replied
    If I remember correctly, the Beijing Olympics were held in the evenings or a few of the days and went as late as midnight. They had massive cooling fans at the ring and in the stable area as well for the heat.

Leave a comment:

• vineyridge
    replied
    It's likely that NBC had a good bit to do with the scheduling, and that they provided the feed for other countries and probably the FEI. Considering that any coverage of horse sport beyond the Triple Crown is almost at the vanishing point, NBC's money and time should be loudly cheered and inconveniences tolerated with good grace.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X