Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WEG ... Post here if you had a great time!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mellsmom
    started a topic WEG ... Post here if you had a great time!

WEG ... Post here if you had a great time!

Due to weather complications, I attended WEG's alone. I was able to park across from the entrance in a private parking lot and was shuttled over with no wait and picked up within minutes of calling for my ride. I had NO traffic on any of the three days I was there. Thursday was AHMAZING! The last hour of dressage was a nail biter. I had my rain boots on Wednesday when I arrived because I have a friend who is a vendor and she'd given me the scoop. I ran into a friend I had not seen in years Wed and sat with her and her friend all day. Thursday and Friday I just wandered about and chatted up tons of people including an endurance rider. Horse people are amazing and most people were really happy to make due and go with the flow. the volunteers were incredibly nice and as helpful as they could be with the little info they had. I found order of go sheets every day. Little to no lines for porta potties and beverages. Wish I would have stayed thru Saturday but I left early to make it over the mountains before Flo. It was better than Atlanta in terms of lines and ease of getting around the facility. The walk between events and the shops was much shorter than KY. The shopping was very good and you could actually get into the tents to see the merchandise.
    I would go back again and hope that I have reason to attend a large event there in the future.
    Was it finished, no? Were there crews everywhere working non-stop to finish as best they could, yes. What was finished was well done, and I think the actual overall design seemed to work. I hope they finish it all and it keeps on hosting events.

• belambi
    replied
    Originally posted by M'al View Post
    GraceLikeRain - Thank you for the update! I'm so glad she's OK! Interesting to see how rumors grow (and here I am participating, oops!) I do think they need to do something about the first level of stairs sticking out, as multiple people tripped (myself included.)

But I'm VERY glad to hear the facility will continue to be finished and even turned into an ice arena -- if the weather is ever hot like that again everyone will attend the indoor events no matter what they are, lol.
    It was indeed terribly warm in the indoor. Thankfully the stewards really paidd attention to all of our needs and wants and were very obliging when my team manager requested some misting fans be provided in the warm up arena..They were lifesavers!!

Leave a comment:

• M'al
    replied
    GraceLikeRain - Thank you for the update! I'm so glad she's OK! Interesting to see how rumors grow (and here I am participating, oops!) I do think they need to do something about the first level of stairs sticking out, as multiple people tripped (myself included.)

But I'm VERY glad to hear the facility will continue to be finished and even turned into an ice arena -- if the weather is ever hot like that again everyone will attend the indoor events no matter what they are, lol.

Leave a comment:

• GraceLikeRain
    replied
    Originally posted by M'al View Post

A bad accident happened due to the way the stands were designed - the first step of the concrete stairway sticks out into the walkway. (I fell backwards off one at one point and was able to hop and balance and grab a railing and avoided falling.) Lots of folks were tripping. A person across the arena tripped going forward and fell and hit their head on the concrete and left via ambulance ... my daughter saw the stretcher going out and the blood being cleaned.
    FYI I know the person in question. She was the first to say she was taking a shortcut and didn't look down to see where she was going. While quite an ugly fall, I saw her a few days ago and she's up and back to normal activities. She repeatedly said that TIEC was incredible in the way they handled things and she felt that they genuinely cared. I'd hate for them to get smeared for falsehoods since the person involved has never blamed the design of the stands.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite0319
    replied
    My bestie and I went for all the SJ and we had an AMAZING time! We had no trouble with parking. The vendors were fantastic and we did a fair amount of shopping. The horse sport was breathtaking (we watched all the SJ and Driving Marathon). We were fortunate enough to get to go out with two fox hunts in the Tryon area three times. Everyone we met was lovely. The food was great. The beer was plentiful. The restaurants had long waits, but if you were in a hurry it was easy to stop by a food truck and get an equally good meal. We also went to Normandy, and while it was different, I don't feel that one was "better" than the other event. It was crazy hot in Tryon, but the bathrooms in Normandy were, um, questionable. Every venue is going to have it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Cheers to TIEC for hosting such a wonderful event and I hope we are able to attend many WEGs in the future!

Leave a comment:

• DMK
    replied
    I believe it will be converted to an ice rink that can do double duty as a climate controlled riding area ... or for riders to just go lay on if we have another September like this...

Leave a comment:

• M'al
    replied
    This was my first (hopefully one of many) WEG with my 15 yr-old daughter. We had a BLAST! We had a hotel room in Hendersonville, about a 30 minute drive on highways. The indoor arena was a sauna (like, when you stood up there was a puddle of sweat left behind and we kept sweating the stamps for in/out access off and having to get re-stamped with each exit.)

My DD thought she was getting a sore throat on the 2nd day ... by the 3rd day she decided it was not from illness at all, but instead for screaming and cheering for competitors IRL she had only ever seen on the internet.

I heard two bits of hearsay: one is that at the last minute the arena building was not ready so it came down to lights or ventilation fans. (Obviously, lights were chosen - lol.) The second is that the building is going to be leveled after this event.

A bad accident happened due to the way the stands were designed - the first step of the concrete stairway sticks out into the walkway. (I fell backwards off one at one point and was able to hop and balance and grab a railing and avoided falling.) Lots of folks were tripping. A person across the arena tripped going forward and fell and hit their head on the concrete and left via ambulance ... my daughter saw the stretcher going out and the blood being cleaned.

It's a really lovely arena if the tripping hazards can be addressed ... it would be a real shame to lose it. It really is a marvelous facility.

My daughter had a real moment of maturity when she turned to me and asked me to get dad on speakerphone. She then proceeded to thank us for making this trip happen, taking her out of school and spending hard-earned money on plane tickets, hotel room and all the cost for the week. She said it is definitely one of the best experiences she has ever had. I really hope WEG is able to be continued rather than world championships, just because it does seem to be a step above.

Leave a comment:

• DMK
    replied
    Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I had so much fun that I exchanged my Freestyle ticket for a jumping ticket on Friday and I'm taking an extra day off work to go. It is really special seeing so many incredible athletes up close.
    You may have scored the greatest ticket exchange in the history of the universe. Because as great as it would have been to see Graves and Werth duke it out to music, NOTHING compared to that final day for team show jumping.

I was there all last week for driving and show jumping. I enjoyed every bit of it, and was truly impressed at how much work had been done and how many issues I heard about from the first week were non issues the second week.

Leave a comment:

• buschkn
    replied
    We had a fantastic time all week watching all the SJ. Venue was easy to navigate, lots of bathrooms, tons of great food (expensive as expected), easy shuttles for parking, and truly unbelievable sport. I am sad to be home, we loved it and have no complaints. Yes, they had construction going on but it didn't interfere with our enjoyment one bit!

Leave a comment:

• twinmommy
    replied
    My husband and I had tickets for the dressage GP Special on Friday and the Eventing x-country on Saturday. Didn't buy tickets for the Freestyle, which I was originally bummed about but now glad we didn't. We flew into Charlotte on Thursday from Toronto. I am very thankful that both events were able to be completed (was worried about the x-country, but we had barely any rain and it was quite mild for the horses!). The shopping was awesome - although I recommend not bringing along non-horsey husbands, as I was only able to get in about 1 hours worth.

I thought it was a well-run event. We had no issues with parking, the shuttles were abundant.

The only frustrations I had during our 2 days there were the lack of food at the x-country venue (there were 2 food trucks for thousands of people, huge line-ups, and the pizza truck ran out of pizza around 12:15PM), and the cost of the food & drinks. A pina colada for $20???? Water bottle $4, Coca Cola $5, boiled hot dogs for $5, small bag of chips $5. Not cool!

We were able to re-route our return flight on Sunday to Atlanta, GA and the weather was perfect, no issues. Not sure how flights out of Charlotte fared. I must say that we stayed in Greenville, SC during our stay and it is one of the most beautiful, surprising little cities in the US. I would recommend staying there if you are visiting the area. It is about 1 hour from TIEC. We hopefully will be returning soon!

Leave a comment:

• brown pony
    replied
    I had a fabulous time volunteering week 1. It was incredible seeing the changes at the venue day by day - sure, when we wandered about on the Monday I was wondering how on earth stuff would be ready, but it honestly changed dramatically from one day to the next in the best possible way.

My single issue, which actually didn't impact me but my veggie friend, is that they didn't even pretend to cater to volunteers' dietary requirements - lunch every day was a meat based wrap, and there was never an option, so she didn't really get fed in accordance with expectations. But we managed, and after day 1 she brought extra snacks or bought stuff after our shifts, so whatever. The same girl had to subsist on plain rice and soggy vegetables for a week in Poland for the Europeans, so at least she's used to it!

We were fence judges, and the whole of XC was really well organised and managed by sectors. I've done major championships before and this by far went the smoothest all through the week. Being able (and welcome!) to watch whatever we could catch without needing tickets was a great bonus too - when I volunteered at the Normandy WEG we were banned from sitting in the stands if we were in uniform, and it was impossible to get in with volunteer credentials unless in uniform, so this was a welcome change. And I defy anyone to tell me that the Caen football stadium was in any way a better venue than Tryon.

All in all, I had a wonderful time and am gutted to be back home and at work this week. I loved it.

Leave a comment:

• Rallycairn
    replied
    I'm so glad some positive threads were started!

Leave a comment:

• Cooper
    replied
    I've attended the Olympic Games in LA, Atlanta and Rio. Every World Cup in Las Vegas, and WEG in Aachen. Guess what, Tryon is hands down my favorite. OK, the naysayers will complain about the parking and the construction that was still going on. I will tell you that the venue was amazing. Plenty of great food (food trucks, soooo good) plenty of clean restrooms and an arena that put me up close to the action. The footing and stabling for the athletes was top notch. The volunteers were friendly and engaged, and they actually cared. Gotta love Southern hospitality! We absolutely loved exploring the Carolinas, Lake Lure, Asheville, Tryon, Campobello.........what an incredibly beautiful area with wonderful and gracious people. I ate lunch (great Mexican food) and watched Ingrid Klimke work Hale Bob over cavellettis. I stood in line for coffee with Mark Todd and Tim Price (Ya, kinda star struck........lol). But the best thing? I watched the best lineup of riders I've ever had the pleasure to see. Thank you to everybody who has worked tirelessly to bring WEG to the US, we appreciate everything you have done!

Leave a comment:

• Tiramit
    replied
    Showjumping day 1 was awesome! Everyone here is incredibly nice and is going out of his/her way to be helpful. It's refreshing to see volunteers and staff looking for ways to be helpful and improve spectator experiences. Jaded me expected the standard "could care less" approach.

The facilities are well done and we didn't wait on anything. Never once waited on a restroom. Food trucks and vendors aplenty. Cushioned seats with cup holders.

The competition was everything we dreamed about (well 4 clears for USA rather than two 4 faulters, but not bad). The best in the world gave master class rides and the up and comers seem to leave with a mostly positive experience. Was so happy to see Karen Polle's face after she finished.

The he most impressive moment of the day for me was when the entire stadium went silent during McLain's rounds. Everyone was quiet, no matter who they traveled to see. Totally cool.

We walked around the facility and it really is beautifully done.

Leave a comment:

• GraceLikeRain
    replied
    I had so much fun that I exchanged my Freestyle ticket for a jumping ticket on Friday and I'm taking an extra day off work to go. It is really special seeing so many incredible athletes up close.

Leave a comment:

• mellsmom
    replied
    Originally posted by kmwines View Post
    We had a blast. Sat on the grassy hill for eventing dressage and had a grand time with drinks and fun. Cross country was fantastic. We never had an issue with the shuttles. Tbh the worst part was Monday listening to people bitch and moan about the about 10 minute wait for shuttles when they rearranged parking. Not sure how people can deal with being that negative all the time. It was draining just listening to them.

I do wish they would've had a video board/scoreboard up for the showjumping
    I sat on the grassy Hill on eventing dressage on Friday morning as well. :-) I was up at the top of the hill fairly close to the seats in the shade.

Leave a comment:

• belambi
    replied
    I loved every bit of it.. had a blast.

Leave a comment:

• ParadoxFarm
    replied
    Nice to read the positivity. I cannot be there in person, so am watching as much as I can live-streaming. Wish I was there!

Leave a comment:

• Brick by Brick
    replied
    I went Thursday, Saturday and Monday. I had a great time and was able to see it get a bit better and more organized each day. The longest I had to wait for a shuttle was 20 min at 5 pm Thursday. Everyone was super friendly and making the best of it. I also went to KY in 2010; while Tryon wasn't as organized and prepared as KHP I think they did an amazing job with a short time to get ready.

Leave a comment:

• Puddin Pie
    replied
    I volunteered last Friday and Sunday (before the games started) and let me say that I was worried. But we had a fabulous time watching the Dressage and reining. The amount of work done finishing the Media center between Friday and Wed was nothing short of astonishing. I had no problems with the temporary stadium seating. I was happy to have a back to my seat. I seem to remember that we had bleacher seats at the Kentucky WEG.

We got to meet most of the reiners on Sunday during our shift indoors and they were such a nice group of people, both competitors and support personnel.

We did our best to support the amazing vendors and probably spent way too much money. The vendors that I helped unload on Friday remembered me when "out of uniform" and were grateful for the help.

And of course, we were thrilled to be honorary members of Team Ecuador to support Julio Mendoza and Chardonnay (along with most of Wesrtern NC). I clinic with him, and he is such a fantastic, enthusiastic instructor. I loved that he came up to the stands after his ride to visit with his people! His smiling face absolutely made the games for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X