Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am so tired of whiny, rich horse [people] complaining about WEG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so tired of whiny, rich horse [people] complaining about WEG

Really, people? Folks are DYING in the Carolinas from Hurricane Florence, and you are bitching because you were inconvenienced? Get over yourselves.

• Marydell
    replied
    mvp- as far as the crew quitting, gossip. My farm was surrounded by the endurance course and the folks who were out there for weeks setting it up were out there during the event

Leave a comment:

• mvp
    replied
    Originally posted by AffirmedHope View Post

Endurance fiasco was purely political and the FEI is the one that should be shamed for being so obviously corrupt, though I don't understand why people who have been following horse sports are shocked by their actions. I don't know about dressage, but as said above, not out of the realm of possibilities for something other than weather being the motivation behind that move.
    Fill me in a bit: Why did the whole crew who was going to run the event quit en masse the night before?

Leave a comment:

• M'al
    replied
    MHM - I can't find the video! It was posted on a prolific re-posting FB profile and I don't know how to search a certain profile for posts from a certain date. (Anyone? Is it possible?) I tried to scroll back but there are hundreds of posts since then.

If someone can tell me how to search I can find it!

Leave a comment:

• yaya
    replied
    Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

That was Emily Litella, my favorite Gilda Radnor SNL character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

Oh yeah, Roseanne was "if it's not one thing, it's another". I always forget Emily Litella's name.

Leave a comment:

• NoSuchPerson
    replied
    Originally posted by yaya View Post

They couldn't suddenly go "oh it's not so bad, competition is back on!" (Calls to mind Roseanne Rosannadanna: "never mind!")
    That was Emily Litella, my favorite Gilda Radnor SNL character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

Leave a comment:

• caffeinated
    replied
    Originally posted by Belowthesalt View Post

The eventers were exercising their horses, in the rain, and expressing surprise that the dressage rides could not go forward under the conditions on Sunday.
    Yes, but they had to make the call prior to Sunday. And they had to go with the information they had, considering worst case scenarios and recent area weather disasters. I'm sad that it turned out the competition could have gone forward, but it could have just as easily been a disaster, and I'd rather them play it safe, honestly.

Leave a comment:

• yaya
    replied

The eventers were exercising their horses, in the rain, and expressing surprise that the dressage rides could not go forward under the conditions on Sunday.
    The call for cancellation had to come before they knew what the actual conditions would be. At the time, heavy rain and wind was expected.

They couldn't suddenly go "oh it's not so bad, competition is back on!" (Calls to mind Roseanne Rosannadanna: "never mind!")

Leave a comment:

• saje
    replied
    A schooling, stretching ride (which is what the eventers did in preparation for Monday's jumping) is a LOT different than competing for a medal.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, but they need to take care of the horses and don't really give a rat's hinderparts about spectators. They are under no obligation to ride in the skirts of a hurricane just so you can see them ride.

Leave a comment:

• DownYonder
    replied

I am betting most (all?) of those eventing horse were wearing boots or wraps while being exercised. Besides, event horses don't do GP movements - or anything even close. Big difference.

Leave a comment:

• GotMyPony
    replied

Yes but aren't eventers second only to endurance riders in their willingness to ride in all kinds of weather?? I'm not a dressage rider but just going by the outfit I'm thinking they're not as flexible on the bad weather thing. No offense.

Leave a comment:

• Belowthesalt
    replied
    Originally posted by DownYonder View Post

Who was riding on Sunday? I thought all events were canceled on Sunday - eventing stadium rounds were pushed to Monday.

By Saturday, predictions were for 4-7 or more inches of rain Saturday night and Sunday. Yes, the dressage riders could probably have ridden in *some* rain. But I am guessing that there were more than a few of them already thinking of pulling out rather than risk their multi-million dollar horses. Remember that organizers and FEI officials were meeting with chefs d'equipe to determine the best course of action. When it became clear that top riders were going to withdraw, the decision was made to cancel.

The upshot is that they had held the freestyle and horses got injured, people would have b******. If riders got injured or spectators got injured or killed trying to get to the site, people would have b******. If they held the freestyle without the top riders, people would have b******. They canceled, and sure enough, people are b*******. But no horses or riders or spectators got injured.

Leave a comment:

• DownYonder
    replied

By Saturday, they knew Sunday would be rainy, but no heavy wind or gales. They could have ridden, but in the rain. The event riders were riding. The footing was excellent - something Tryon really got right. Like the endurance decision, this was the FEI's (and presumably the riders' decision(s).
    Who was riding on Sunday? I thought all events were canceled on Sunday - eventing stadium rounds were pushed to Monday.

By Saturday, predictions were for 4-7 or more inches of rain Saturday night and Sunday. Yes, the dressage riders could probably have ridden in *some* rain. But I am guessing that there were more than a few of them already thinking of pulling out rather than risk their multi-million dollar horses. Remember that organizers and FEI officials were meeting with chefs d'equipe to determine the best course of action. When it became clear that top riders were going to withdraw, the decision was made to cancel.

The upshot is that they had held the freestyle and horses got injured, people would have b******. If riders got injured or spectators got injured or killed trying to get to the site, people would have b******. If they held the freestyle without the top riders, people would have b******. They canceled, and sure enough, people are b*******. But no horses or riders or spectators got injured.

Leave a comment:

• Gardenhorse
    replied
    When they made the decision to postpone, the forecast was for 3-5 inches of rain Saturday night as well as another 1-2 inches on Sunday. The area near Tryon had heavy rain and landslides in the spring and two people were killed. I'm sure the past landslides in the area and the danger to spectators driving to the event were also weighing heavily on the minds of the organizers.

ETA: Actually the two weather reporters I was thinking of were killed by a tree falling on their vehicle, but there were also landslides in the area that spring. https://wtkr.com/2018/05/28/two-sout...rdous-weather/

Leave a comment:

• Belowthesalt
    replied
    Originally posted by saje View Post
    And if the track of the storm had changed and there were people who got hurt because TIEC said "all clear, come on!" would people be saying "TIEC tried so hard to keep the show running, and injured spectators and competitors/horses were just unfortunate, but hey, the show must go on"?

You can't just decide at the last minute to cancel a show this size, there are WAY too many moving parts. It sucks that it happened, but life isn't fair and life will go on despite disappointments. The decision was made with the information they had at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20. All I can say is I applaud tough decisions like that.

Don't like it? Go run your own international, multi-day, multidiscipline gathering for a group of the world's pickiest, richest, most opinionated people. Have fun!
    If they were to ship out on Monday they were shipping out on Monday. The dressage horses and riders were there Sunday. Doppler radar, US Weather Service, etc., were all tracking the storm. By Saturday, they knew Sunday would be rainy, but no heavy wind or gales. They could have ridden, but in the rain. The event riders were riding. The footing was excellent - something Tryon really got right. Like the endurance decision, this was the FEI's (and presumably the riders' decision(s). The rain was steady but warm. *shrug* I am supposedly getting a ticket refund, but it is a huge disappointment especially after coming from the West Coast. It is what it is, but I still feel that a lot of the potential problems could have (or should have been) planned for, and were not.
    Last edited by Belowthesalt; Sep. 19, 2018, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bugsynskeeter
    replied
    As someone who actually is a reiner, I can completely understand why the dressage horses would not want to use that footing.

Leave a comment:

• RPM
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDarnHorse View Post
    RPM, this was on another WEG thread.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BigMama1
    replied
    Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post
    So a reiner doing circles and changing leads is somehow different than a dressage horse doing circles and changing leads? That exact same footing will make a dressage horse unsound but not a reiner?
    Seriously, Google is your friend. If you really don't understand the difference then some research is in order.

Or reverse the question: how do you think world-class reiners would feel if they were told they had to do spins and slides on packed, springy footing that is designed to grab?

Leave a comment:

• SonnysMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Prime Time Rider View Post

Trip insurance doesn't cover events being cancelled due to weather. It covers the insured if they are unable to travel due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance,
    Many trip insurance policies cover events and trips being cancelled due to weather. I pay these types of policies all the time.

Leave a comment:

• roseymare
    replied
    Originally posted by bugsynskeeter View Post

No - it was plain dirt. Kiser is the best when it comes to reining footing and he would not have used a composite.
    Ah thanks I looked on their website to see if they were doing the reining footing and they didn't say. Not that not saying anything means they were not but I thought they might note it.

I thought they had talked about slowing down a bit but when you are a hot commodity that doesn't always go as planned! I didn't seek them out this year at youth world so it has been a while since I have seen them. I usually chat a bit with whomever iI run into because the boys and I were in the same Horse 4-H club as kids.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X