Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hurricane Plan for WEG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSEventer
    started a topic Hurricane Plan for WEG?

Hurricane Plan for WEG?

I grew up in Florida. My parents lost their retirement home to Hurricane Opal. I evacuated from my home for the first time ever last year during a scary hurricane season. Planning (not evacuating) but PLANNING needs to start now for horses. How safe is Tryon, NC if Hurricane Florence heads that way? We used to have hurricane parties, but with climate change, things are not even the least bit funny. If travel is difficult getting in and out of WEG, I wonder what the plan is? I hope they are making plans now, just in case.....because it can get too late, then you are stuck and must shelter in place.

• INoMrEd
    replied
    I heard on the news this morning that Florence could bring up to ten trillion gallons of rain!

It's too bad there isn't a way to share some of that with parched states like California.

Leave a comment:

• belambi
    replied
    My main concern is for our boy, so he is leaving tonight with a few other horses.. We are going to stay in the area whilst he makes his way back to Texas.. To all of you who have messaged, Please excuse the group reply on here, and Many Thanks for your concern.

Leave a comment:

• fair judy
    replied
    NOAA most recent report. Note that Tryon is in Polk county. Note that the "only six inches" is referred to in the landslide danger.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC 1117 AM EDT FRI SEP 14 2018 ...INCREASED THREAT OF LANDSLIDES AND DEBRIS FLOWS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS THIS WEEKEND... FLORENCE WILL BRING HEAVY RAIN TO THE WESTERN CAROLINAS SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY. THE HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED TO RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT FLOODING ALONG CREEKS AND STREAMS. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF EIGHT TO TWELVE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS TO 15 INCHES ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE ESCARPMENT FROM HENDERSON AND POLK COUNTIES NORTHWARD INTO AVERY AND CALDWELL COUNTIES, NORTH CAROLINA. ISOLATED LANDSLIDES ARE LIKELY WITH RAINFALL TOTALS OF SIX TO TEN INCHES, WITH GREATER COVERAGE IF RAINFALL TOTALS EXCEED THAT LEVEL. AREAS THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED RECENT LANDSLIDE ACTIVITY MAY BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ADDITIONAL LANDSLIDES. LANDSLIDES, INCLUDING FAST-MOVING DEBRIS FLOWS CONSISTING OF WATER, MUD, FALLING ROCKS, TREES, AND OTHER LARGE DEBRIS, ARE MOST LIKELY WITHIN SMALL VALLEYS THAT DRAIN STEEP SLOPES. LANDSLIDES ARE POWERFUL AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY, CAPABLE OF WASHING OUT ROADS, BRIDGES, AND HOMES. PEOPLE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO LANDSLIDES SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE DANGER AND BE PREPARED TO ACT. HERE ARE RECOMMENDED ACTIONS TO CONSIDER BOTH AHEAD OF THE STORM AND WHEN THE HEAVY RAIN BEGINS.

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    https://www.windy.com/?36.120,-74.136,5

Click "wind" on the right menu. Looks like the storm is on its way.

Leave a comment:

• JanM
    replied
    Sorry, it's north east. I goofed.

Leave a comment:

• Wojjie
    replied
    Live Webcams - [ I spend too much time watching webcams. Maybe others would like to as well. ] This website has several webcam in NC, SC, etc. Belmont, NC is west of Charlotte, NC and east of WEG.

https://www.earthcam.com/events/extremeweather/

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Latest rainfall projections;https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...sages#contents
    The European models have higher rainfall totals forecast for the Tryon area.

Leave a comment:

• Joanne
    replied
    Originally posted by ynl063w View Post

Hmmm. Can anyone chime in and let us know which scenario is correct?
    Hopefully this link will work:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Leave a comment:

• ynl063w
    replied
    Originally posted by Wojjie View Post
    Yes, the "upper right" [northeast] quadrant of hurricanes in this part of the world is always the most powerful.
    Originally posted by JanM View Post
    Yes, the northwest side is the worst, it's called the 'dirty side' for a good reason. That's the worst side for wind and rain.
    Hmmm. Can anyone chime in and let us know which scenario is correct?

Leave a comment:

• SerenaGinger
    replied
    Originally posted by LiberalSnowflake View Post
    Not sure who runs the Dressage Hub group on Facebook, but they seem rather thrilled that it's all starting to go wrong weather-wise. Seems very unsporting.
    The Dressage Hub person was kicked out of Bellisimo's showgrounds in Wellington, and Bellisimo owns the Tryon facility, so it's a personal vendetta. 35 pages of drama in the dressage forum. Bring your extra large popcorn: here

Leave a comment:

• JanM
    replied
    Yes, the northeast side is the worst, it's called the 'dirty side' for a good reason. That's the worst side for wind and rain. I live about 90 miles from the gulf coast, and the best house configuration is with the garage doors, and regular doors on the east and west side, because the circular pattern of wind and rain nails the north and south side the worst.
    Last edited by JanM; Sep. 13, 2018, 01:47 PM. Reason: Northeast, not northwest. Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    A sample of the NHS strorm surge map. You can zoom in on your area. Click on Continue, then "Imagery with Labels" in Upper right corner https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...ation#contents

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Here is the latest rainfall prediction; https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents 4"-6" possibility of 6"-10".

Leave a comment:

• Wojjie
    replied
    Yes, the "upper right" [northeast] quadrant of hurricanes in this part of the world is always the most powerful.

Leave a comment:

• vineyridge
    replied
    On the Tryon NWC forecast, there is a discussion of what is likely to happen. One thing that surprised me is that most of the rainfall will come on the EAST side of the hurricane as she stalls in the mountains, so most of the rain will be Sunday and Monday. There is also a tornado possibility for that same period. "Conditions should improve by next Wednesday or Thursday"

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Yes, the NOAA NHS site is great.Graphics, satellite images, storm surge estimates that you can zoom in on right to where you live, too many cool thing to list.
    When Florence comes closer to landfall there won't be as much guesswork and the graphics will be easier to understand.

I hope The WEG is spared. They are off to a terrible start even without the hurricane.

Leave a comment:

• Wojjie
    replied
    Clicking around in NOAA website is great. The storm CENTER is shown in the Tryon area on Sunday, but the tropical storm force winds arrive THURSDAY NIGHT, and then the rain starts, I believe. The conditions will worsen well before the center arrives. [ I was in Aiken SC for Hugo, and we had wind and rain for something like 6 HOURS before the center; it was a wild night, and the next day was BEAUTIFUL weather.... ]

Anyway, am I misreading the NOAA maps?
    [ I cannot figure out how to embed graphics... so here is a link about the arrival of winds] :

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...toa34#contents

OH! Here is an interactive map!!!
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...track#contents

I'm afraid the statement below from WEG is off by a few days. And I saw a map with wind speeds of 40-60 mph, with gusts above that.
    Wednesday, September 12, 3:45pm:
    "Today's update from the National Weather Service, stationed onsite at TIEC for the duration of WEG, shows that Hurricane Florence Is now expected to make landfall near the North and South Carolina coastal border on Friday evening. The projected weather pattern here at TIEC will be heavy rain on Sunday evening into Monday and possibly Tuesday, with winds peaking on Sunday evening at 30mph with gusts of up to 40mph."

Hmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• fordtraktor
    replied
    Especially as it was just the reserve

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Water already today https://www.facebook.com/pisces.bobo...0859418565252/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X