Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.



Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hurricane Plan for WEG?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I go to the NOAA National Hurricane Center website. No hype.


    • #62
      So is everyone who planned on going still going? Or are people cancelling their trips? Specifically looking at those who are driving there.


      • #63
        I just pulled these images off the NOAA National Hurricane Center website.

        I added the callouts to show the approximate location of TIEC.

        These of course are based on current projections, but if Florence holds to that itinerary, TIEC will get less than 2 inches of rain (1-7 day forecast). And it has a 20-30% chance of tropical storm force winds (1 minute average equal to or greater than 39 mph). The wind speed projection was made at 8 AM EDT today, and will no doubt change as Florence moves closer.
        Attached Files


        • #64
          Per Eventing nation there's a press conference at 5 today to discuss their Hurricane plans.

          "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries


          • #65
            Boss Mare Eventing Blog


            • #66
              Originally posted by saje View Post
              I posted on the Grooms' quarters thread about hurricane Irene in 2011 and what it did to the Catskill Mountain towns in midstate NY. If that storm shifts south a bit and crawls it's way inland like Irene did we could be in for a LOT of water.

              My parents had a ski house in Vermont, at the base of a little hill, next to a cute brook. The rain from Irene turned the brook into a river and it washed away the house that had stood there for 250 years, as well as the highway next to it. There were towns that were inaccessible for days because roads had been washed out.

              Mountains and rain can have very unexpected consequences, especially in an area that has already had a wet summer. I have friends who are vendors at WEG and the vendor areas are already flooded from the light rain this week. Trees will fall and take power lines, roads may be inaccessible. If I worked at TIEC I would be shipping in water by the truckloads. Better safe than sorry when you have 500 of the world's most valuable horses and their support staff on your property.


              • #67
                What worries me is that with every hour the ferocity of Florence and its effects are increasing. First responders will be so stretched, and pulled away from their locales to areas of greatest need. Even though Tryon is well inland, if water and power supplies are down for more than a few days, it could be really serious trying to maintain good conditions for the horses, and many of the ones from overseas can't be trailered out to other locations because of the quarantine issues.


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Samantha37 View Post
                  So is everyone who planned on going still going? Or are people cancelling their trips? Specifically looking at those who are driving there.
                  I'm supposed to be heading down with 2 friends, flying to Charlotte Friday morning. We are trying to decide what to do in terms of travel but we are mostly still planning on going. Not sure if that is colossally stupid or not.


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Pico Banana View Post

                    I'm supposed to be heading down with 2 friends, flying to Charlotte Friday morning. We are trying to decide what to do in terms of travel but we are mostly still planning on going. Not sure if that is colossally stupid or not.
                    I'm totally with you!!! I'm supposed to be driving down tomorrow afternoon, coming back on Saturday. I just don't know if it is the dumbest thing ever to head TOWARDS a hurricane of this magnitude!


                    • #70
                      I am worried about getting out on Sunday too! I have to be at work on Monday. Maybe the presser will give us some idea because if they decide to shift XC to another day then I just won't go. I'm not going 900 miles to watch eventing dressage in the rain! And is it realy smart to go TO the area where they may have to be evacuating. I don't really have a sense of the size of NC- right now Accuweather says Tryon will see a big rainstorm on Monday. But up until then it's just showery


                      • #71
                        I was supposed to leave central VA Thurs morning and come back Monday morning-- I have no idea if I will go at this point. Would be bummed to miss it after spending money on rental and planning it for almost a year. Sigh. I am going to make a final decision tomorrow I guess-- I have a 4wd truck with new tires but hate driving in rain and long drives alone (meeting a friend down there who is already there.) I don't want to be driving into a sh*tstorm!


                        • #72
                          Still planning on going. Leaving Thurs morning, coming back Sunday night. Current forecasts show tryon getting minimal rain, possibly even less rain than my hometown expects to receive from Florence. Of course, if there is a dramatic change in the forecast on Wednesday night, that might change things.


                          • #73
                            The latest rain forecast;
                            I don't think anyone will be flying into Charlotte...


                            • #74
                              anyone see the press conference? Not expecting much but still...


                              • #75
                                We are still planning o going. Rented a house at Lake Lure and there are 8 of us, four already down there. Every weather site I look at says something different.


                                • #76
                                  Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                  The latest rain forecast;
                                  I don't think anyone will be flying into Charlotte...
                                  But when you look at the Charlotte Airport's flight view page it shows "showers". No heavy rain until Monday. Not getting the same message makes it hard to know what to do!


                                  • #77
                                    Originally posted by 2tempe View Post
                                    About 10 years ago, I was living in Cleveland OHIO; Hurricane Ike came barreling all the way from Texas, hit us w/ significant wind and rain. My area and many others around us were without power for ONE WEEK as a result of wind/tree damage. Part of that problem was that power repair crews were so overburdened we had to wait for help from out of state. My point here is that you cant underestimate the potential for problems.
                                    Very true. I was part of the management team for region 2 championships in Cincinnati that week. While we had power, there were so much sporadic power outages that we were warning anyone coming from north or west that they could have an issue finding fuel, particularly diesel, within an hour of the farm. Even if there is fuel at the stations, without power they can't get it out of the tanks.

                                    Hopefully the rain models will stay light and it will all go off as planned, albeit somewhat damp

                                    I hope that TIEC has enough generator power that they can at least get water for the horses, even if everyone else is pretty miserable if the worst happens.


                                    • #78
                                      The latest model just showed that it is going to turn as it comes to shore and go directly toward tryon/greenville area after coming onshore near wilmington. If this occurs they think the area of Asheville to Tryon could get 12+ inches of rain... They said it is going to just sit over the greenville / charlotte area for a few days...
                                      If this happens there is just no way....


                                      • #79
                                        Coming from the Triangle area here... Leaving tomorrow midday as planned and will stay as long as the show is running, rain or shine. What I'm undecided about is if we will stay in the hotel until the worst passes, or try to get home. I guess it all depends on timing. Who knows what we'll find when we get back. Personally I think some of the estimated rainfall totals are low since they're predicting a major stall out with this storm (rain for days), but I admit I have no science to back that up.
                                        However, echoing what others have said, I think the already wet ground poses a significant risk for trees coming down, which means power outages. Seems risky for everyone involved.


                                        • #80
                                          We are still planning on going. Moved flight from Friday morning to Thursday evening. Not sure if that makes much of a difference but it seems supported by at least some of the forecasters.