• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

TAKEN 3-year old Hanoverian Gelding needs home - NH - TAKEN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAKEN 3-year old Hanoverian Gelding needs home - NH - TAKEN

The horse has found a wonderful new home. THANK YOU.

I have a cute 3-year old Hanoverian (out of approved TB mare, has full Hanoverian papers) gelding that needs to find a hew home. There is something not quite right with his right hind. He was a little off last summer as a 2-year old but then it got better. (no treatment, just got better after a couple of weeks so I didn't think anything of it) This spring the problem came back - I was about to start breaking and training him when I realized that he is a bit off. He also started to lose condition and muscle. He was checked out at the hospital/clinic and they found nothing wrong with him ($1500 in diagnostics, x-rays, ultrasounds, nerve blocks). They could not even say which area of the leg was the problem (flexed inconsistently, he was there for 3 days with 3 different results on the flexions and nerve blocks).
    They told me only with a bone scan they could hopefully figure it out. I can't spend that much money, so I gave him stall rest for 4 weeks to see if that would help. It didn't do much for him, so he is back out to pasture.
    He is also sometimes a bit uncoordinated and stumbles more than the other horses. He fell down a couple of times this year as well.
    He sometimes has little "episodes" of acting strange and occasionally kicks out with a front leg. It doesn't seem aggressive, just strange. He is not an unsafe horse as far as his personality/temperament but he just does weird things sometimes. I am fine handling him, but I have some less experienced people take care of the horses/farm sometimes and I am afraid that this guy might accidentally hurt somebody. My husband put his foot down and said that I must get rid of him or put him down, which is not what I would want to do. He must find a home within the next month or two.
    He is a nice mover and is very handsome. He is a 16.1hh chestnut with a blaze and no leg markings. He gets along with other horses. He has free jumped up to 3'6" (during his second session over fences) and he has a very nice balanced canter. He trailers/loads fine, he doesn't like being hosed. He cross-ties and is ok with vet, goes barefoot right now. He is ok for trims but not perfect. (needs to work on standing still)
    He is really a pleasant sweet horse and I think if somebody can find out what is wrong with him and treat it he could be a nice sporthorse for hunters or dressage. I don't have money/time to take care of him and my husband wants him gone "yesterday".
    Please PM me or e-mail me at bbzu12@gmail.com for more information, pictures and VIDEOS.
    Last edited by CenterlineGirl2; Aug. 27, 2009, 06:05 PM.

This sounds sucspiciouly like EPM to me, hope you find someone that can take him and treat him if so
    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Yes it does

This horse sounds neurologic poss EPM??? ... You should have a vet take another quick peak... EPM is treatable but you have to do it fast. There are also other equine neuro conditions (obviously) which present the same episodes
      CasperTheWonderPony

I used to belong to Casper. Now I belong to Charlie (first and foremost), Perris The Heiress, Bella Lua, and Blanca and Gypsy the miniature donkeys.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I also thought that it might be EPM. But compared to some confirmed EPM horses I have seen, this guy's symptoms would be very mild. I wish I could spend more money on diagnostics, but I have another horse that I already spent a lot of money on (hock issues, will possibly need surgery) and also a mare that took a lot of money/time to get pregnant, so my husband will not spend any more money on horses now (understandably so). Especially since this guy is not a prospect for me (I ride dressage and he is not fancy enough to do serious FEI work) so my husband sees no reason to try to fix him. He was originally going to be my husband's horse, but ended up not big enough and how he has this issue. Also, my husband doesn't really get along with him that well in general, so I really need to just find him a home. But hopefully the new owner can figure out what is wrong with him, I would really like to see this guy become a usable horse, he is sweet and cute and quite talented for both hunter/jumper or mid-level dressage.

Comment

Originally posted by CenterlineGirl2 View Post
          Thanks for the advice. I also thought that it might be EPM. But compared to some confirmed EPM horses I have seen, this guy's symptoms would be very mild. I wish I could spend more money on diagnostics, but I have another horse that I already spent a lot of money on (hock issues, will possibly need surgery) and also a mare that took a lot of money/time to get pregnant, so my husband will not spend any more money on horses now (understandably so). Especially since this guy is not a prospect for me (I ride dressage and he is not fancy enough to do serious FEI work) so my husband sees no reason to try to fix him. He was originally going to be my husband's horse, but ended up not big enough and how he has this issue. Also, my husband doesn't really get along with him that well in general, so I really need to just find him a home. But hopefully the new owner can figure out what is wrong with him, I would really like to see this guy become a usable horse, he is sweet and cute and quite talented for both hunter/jumper or mid-level dressage.

If he is young and it is just starting it would be mild compared to the extreme diagnosed cases that you may have already seen. I hope you find someone for him.
          I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
          My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
          She Ain't No Small Potato!

Comment

• Original Poster

UPDATE

So I was advised that I should do "field" neurological tests on this gelding to determine if he has any neurological problems. It appears that he is fine.
            I put a towel over his head and led him around and did circles and besides shaking from being terrified of not seeing where he was going he was totally fine and had complete awareness of his legs and body. I also made him turn in a small circle and he was fine. I also pulled on his tail while he was walking and tried pretty hard to get him to lose balance and he was fine.
            So I think whatever weirdo things he was doing are probably goofy young horse things and not actually a serious problem.

Hopefully somebody can take him as my husband is threatening to send him to an auction if I don't find him a home within the next few weeks.
            Help!

Comment

Well I hope he doesn't have EPM, but the description of what he's doing (stumbling behind, slightly "uncoordinated") sounds exactly like my TB, who was so mildly affected that a neuro exam in June showed a 0 grade...we just put him down this week. He became Grade 4 neurological within a week of testing positive for EPM antibodies, and was put on Marquis and support meds immediately, but did not respond So I advise having your horse at least blood tested for EPM, and then having the vet match symptoms with blood tests and see if there's a possibility. Another possibility for a young, large horse is Wobblers. Diagnosis requires xray of the cervical spine and then myleograms...

Comment

Totally agree with the previous posters who suggested that field neurological tests might not pinpoint EPM. My horse showed barely any neurological symptoms, but my vet was suspicious about how jumpy and sensitive she was, combined with how she was moving behind. In the past, whenever she was keyed up about something, she would swing her hind legs out and walk really wide behind. So I thought it was just her being goofy. Nope. Her EPM bloodwork came back very, very positive.

I understand the position you're in, and having a bunch of internet strangers telling you to try something else probably isn't very helpful at all. I just wanted to share my experience, since I was convinced it was not EPM in my horse's case, but willing to test to rule it out. Of course, in your case, knowing it's EPM probably isn't super helpful, since it's so expensive to treat!

Comment

It sounds like Lyme, EPM, or possibly wobblers. I would get blood tests done; I find it hard to believe that was not the FIRST thing the vets did at the clinic before recommending expensive bone scans, etc.
                  Roseknoll Sporthorses
                  www.roseknoll.net

Comment

• Original Poster

He was at the clinic to be checked out for a lameness issue. I don't see why they would even think about checking him for wobblers/lyme/epm as he appeared just fine, except slightly off. He didn't do anything weird while at the clinic.
                    I remember he was also sedated there and they were trying to inject his stifle to do nerve blocks. They were able to do 2 compartments of the stifle, but for the third one he would not let them get near. They had him ear twisted, twitched and slightly sedated and he was able to kick out with that hind leg (was sick sick sick of needles at that point) and stay quite balanced.
                    So really there was no symptoms that would suggest anything neuro.
                    I only thought about it recently that maybe something is off with him since they found no reason for lameness and he is so goofy. (bumps his head a lot, stumbles, has slipped and fallen a couple of times) But at the same time he can run around like a maniac in his pasture and buck like crazy and has no problems.
                    I have only had two people e-mail me so far. Please somebody take care of this sweet guy, there is no talking to my husband (after thousands spent this year in vet bills for this horse and others).
                    Last edited by CenterlineGirl2; Aug. 21, 2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

EMND is also possible. Will involve a blood test, but the falling, whihc is not normal young horse behaviour, stumbling, low end neuro now and again are symptoms of episodes. I had to put my guy down last year because of this. Something is wrong somewhere...as harsh as this may be, I would put him down before sending him to a sale and having him end up somewhere that can't treat him or doesn't recognize it. Risk to both horse and human and thats not really fair. Hopefully, someone here will step up for him.

Comment

Regardless of the field neuro tests, falling is a neuro symptom that cannot be ignored and it is NOT a subtle symptom.
                        It's a shame that because your vets are not supporting and diagnosing him correctly you are being pressured to give him away.

Perhaps if you posted pics and a pedigree someone here would think he was worth taking on and be willing to treat him.

BTW, right now, I have one horse on stall rest, with a catheter, getting IV antibiotics for Lyme. Cost will most likely be close to $1700 for the month in meds, vet visits and stall rest. I have another getting a month of Marquis and transfer factor for EPM. over $1000 in meds alone.
                        Sometimes, you just have to suck it up because the horse is sick and needs help.
                        "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Not sure if this is possible but being as he is registered is there a university that you could donate him to. He would get all the medical help he needs and you would get the tax write off. Horse being treated, Husband happy. Maybe something you could look into
                          If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by blaeberry001 View Post
                            Not sure if this is possible but being as he is registered is there a university that you could donate him to. He would get all the medical help he needs and you would get the tax write off. Horse being treated, Husband happy. Maybe something you could look into
                            That is the fairy tale version. Frequently when you donate a horse to a university they use them for experiments or euthanize and do necropsies on them. But, you know, at least you get the tax write off
                            Roseknoll Sporthorses
                            www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Why don't you at least post his pedigree? Someone over on the breeding forum may have a connection to him and not want to see him end up at the auction.

I have a soft spot for Hanoverians but I'm just not in a position to take him on right now.

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't know how to post a picture, but I would be happy to do so. Maybe I could e-mail it to somebody who can post it?
                                He is by Prince Optimus out of an AHS approved TB mare (nice mare). Prince optimus is an older type hanoverian owned by Elandale Farm.
                                Like I said in the OP, I would be happy to give links to a video by e-mail.

Comment

A quick search of the farm name over on Sporthorse breeding shows that the stallion owner posts on here under the name elandalefarm. Maybe you could pm her and see if she is willing to help.

Comment

Prince Optimus is an older stallion but not an older type.

I bred a TB mare to him and got a very lovely modern offspring.
                                    www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry to sound like a broken record after all the other posts, but I am assuming you did mention neuro symptoms (i.e. falling) to your vets? Not to mention, I find it hard to believe that after an inconclusive series of hind leg blocks, they didn't at least want to explore neuro issues. After all you've gone through with this horse, $200 for an EPM blood test seems like a drop in the bucket and it is quick, easy, and fairly reliable. Please do your horse this favor before bringing him to auction. He could really hurt someone (or himself) if he appears to be okay most of the time and only has these episodes occasionally.
                                      Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

Good Lord, you guys.

The horse is posted as a giveaway with an in-depth disclosure.

If you are interested in the risk, and YOU think the horse has EPM/Lyme, take the FREE horse and run the $200 test yourself.

The OP has been honest about not being able to be financially or emotionally vested. Clearly she cares enough to do a disclosure on a giveaway COTH board as a giveaway rather than auction!

If you are interested, you might contact her and ask to speak with her vet rather than chastise her for not running more tests!

Comment

Working...
                                        X