• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A pictoral timeline of hunter dress codes from the last (gulp!) 50 years. UPDATE: New Pics -- p8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

RF, and all others who are now officially nauseous (if not already actually vomiting) -- I promise that I am finished, done, finito posting pictures. Unless, of course, there is a really good picture of George from the KHP shows this month.

Please, others -- go to it. Nicole! I just looked back and saw your post. Welcome to COTH. PT or email me. I want to catch up. How's your mom?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder.
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• God, Pam, I LOFF (and I never use that word) these pix! That one of Valor from the Garden is my fave, although I remember you posting one before where you weren't in formal attire?

My horse partner and I (that would be HorseyNurse) finally have a really spectacular hunter, but you know what? I prefer the doddering Stanley, who just came off the track, looks like hell, and who can hardly be bothered to walk to the cross ties!

Both horses make their debuts next month in the baby basic pleasure classes, but we should have some good shots of Strapless--um, Stella by year's end!

A building contrator is defined as someone who wants to build a house in the woods. An environmentalist is one who already owns a house in the woods.
      Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

• Pam, I'm still willing to take Warren off your hands. As long as his "mystery lamenesses" match up with my "mystery ailments" we'll live happily ever after.
        All of your pics are awesome even if they make me feel inadequate.

Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
        Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
        F O.B
        Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
        Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
          Last one of Valor -- the Madison Square Garden picture

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is totally the coolest picture i have ever seen.

can you post more? (haha i am a picture junky) Please make a webshots!!

"You've been hoodwinked. You've been had.
          You've been took. You've been led astray, led amok.
          You've been Bamboozled."

-- Malcolm X

Comment

• Wow Pam. I think after I had a picture like the one of Valor at Madison Square Garden I'd just up and retire...cuz it doens't get better than that.... WOWSIEEEE!!!!!

You should be sooooo proud of your riding and your wonderful horses. Such great accomplishemnts.. such great horses.

What a wonderful thread.. thanks for sharing.

I'm so inspired I'm going to go out and ride...

: )

http://community.webshots.com/user/stewartjudi
            Judi
            RiverSong | Rainier

http://gallery.me.com/judistewart#100045

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horsaholic:
              LH/Pam, you look wonderful! What a gorgeous rider you are! Those photos are beautiful and you should be so proud! That picture is amazing of you as a child 6yrs old! Wow!
              Thanks for sharing these, I hope you post some more!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, LordHelpus I can't seem to get enought of this stuff! It's great! Thanks!

kriskohnke
              What's the scoop?

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
                suzss, no you weren't the only one with a madras coat.

And before the rest of you youngsters start laughing, remember, this picture was taken in 1968. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely fabulous!
                Thanks for sharing.

kriskohnke
                What's the scoop?

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
                  I feel deprived. I never had any tack-- noseband or otherwise-- with my initials stitched into the leather. However, it does sound like a trend that needs to be resurrected!

Count me in the group that once wore a powder blue huntcoat and the madras plaid.

Wow seems like a lot of you all are nostalgic for that baby blue hunt coat. Darn, I found one on E-bay in my size a couple of weeks ago, the seller was located in Great Britain. It had the hunting horse buttons and gorgeous velvet collar. I was considering buying it to keep as sort of a closet museum piece! I wish I had bid on it now...

The photos are all lovely! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kriskohnke
                  What's the scoop?

Comment

• <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
                    One last picture, if I may. This is the gray horse from page one, that many of you commented on. His barn name was Moolah and he was a really nice horse. He was Appendix registered and his small feet and short pasterns were not made to support his 16.3 hand body, so he got navicular at age 7. However, he had a lovely life at my mother's farm for many years, baby sitting the yearling TB's racehorses-to-be.

About 10 years after the Florida picture was taken I was living in California practicing law when I came back to visit my mother at her farm. I went out to ride Moolah, and I saw that he had gotten worse that I had realized. So, that visit I mainly groomed him and gave him treats. But my last day there, in the late afternoon, I decided that I did not want to leave without having a ride on my old friend. So I got a piece of baling twine, tied it around his neck and climbed on. We wandered around the farm and had a lovely quiet time together in the late afternoon winter sun. Before I got off, I asked the farm manager to take this picture.

This was the last time I saw Moolah-man and I am very glad I had a chance to say good bye.

PS: All of you safety do-gooders, please do not bother to post about my outfit. It gets old, and sometimes a girl and her old friend just need to take a toodle around the farm together.

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kriskohnke
                    What's the scoop?

Comment

• Ok, I feel stupid about this, but what is a GPA?

Comment

• LH - thank you for posting the fabulous pictures. An absolute study in hunter fashion through the last few decades.

I so love the picture from Madison Square Gardens of you and Valour. Breathtaking.

I have a couple to add from the days when 3'6" was the only choice. The year 1980 and yes they are grey breeches:
                        http://www3.sympatico.ca/hcurtin/Han...80_dwyer_2.jpg

Oh yes, remember rolltop coops when they were full size, from 1976:
                        http://www3.sympatico.ca/hcurtin/Jessica.jpg

Comment

• To demonstrate my lack of knowledge about "dress codes," I'm struck by the Garden picture showing a hunter wearing a shadbelly and top hat, reminiscent of dressage. When was this the norm? I know Grand Prix jumpers wear this sometimes. Would love an explanation, thanks!
                          Goodbye Sister Disco. Take me where the music fits my soul.

Comment

• mbdobbs, for hunter classics (now a days) jrs and adults where shadbelly's. Adults can also wear top hats if they so desire, but jrs cannot as it's "not approved" head gear.

*Worthwhile*
                            *Believe In Me*
                            *Bolero*
                            *Look No Further*

Comment

• Drooling, as usual, during the viewing, Pam.

"B***h in training"
                              \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Comment

• Thanks HorseyGurl. I do remember going to watch the amateur hunters at the Washington International in the fall. I do remember one woman wearing this, but not all, so I assume it's optional? What IS the accepted / unaccepted / norm for the ring. I'll have to get with it if I ever get my nerve up to show again. Thanks!!

Melissa

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HorseyGurl182:
                                mbdobbs, for hunter classics (now a days) jrs and adults where shadbelly's. Adults can also wear top hats if they so desire, but jrs cannot as it's "not approved" head gear.

*Worthwhile*
                                *Believe In Me*
                                *Bolero*
                                *Look No Further*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

• Original Poster

Reaglebeagle,

You look familiar. Whre is that horse show in the indoor picture? I sure miss mudknots. They really showed off a horse's hind end. And, for a horse with a less than stellar tail, I think that they looked better than a fake tail.

Yesterday at KHP, I saw many absolutely gorgeous, jaw dropping, 12 moving, knee snapping, back cracking, to die for horses with tails that were obviously bought at the custom tail store. They were just too think and swung funny and the bottoms were unnatural. In a fake tail, less is more. But too many people think that more is more.

But, I digress. I miss the old mud knots. Pure and simple. And I also like your horse and your eq. A lovely picture.

mbdobbs: I cannot recall ever seeing a shadbelly in grand prix jumping! And certainly not a top hat in the grand prix ring. I believe you are mistaken -- even if you are thinking back through the decades. The image of a jumper rider going around in a shadbelly and top hat just plain makes me smile.

Shadbellies are indigenous to the hunt field, which is why they appear in the hunter ring. In the old days it was appropriate to show in a hunt coat and derby for regular classes and a shadbelly and top hat in appointments or corinthian classes (or later, in what they called "formal attire" classes). In the Madison Square Garden picture, I am riding in a formal attire class. I can tell because, not only am I wearing a shadbelly and top hat, but I have all the "extras" like the boot straps (that had to be worn through the second and third buttons on the breeches legs -- a real trick in the days of velcro. I sat in my NYC hotel room and cut all those little buttons off my show shirts that were half way down the openings in the sleeves and sewed them onto each leg of my canary breeches below the knee seam so I would have buttons to put the boot strap between.)

The difference between a formal attire class and a corinthian class is that in the former the rider had to dress in the old, traditional way, but the horse was not required to wear flat tack and sewn in bridle, no saddle pad or stirrup pad, etc.
                                  "Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder.
                                  "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• Thanks LH for that great story! I can picture you having to stay up late to jimmy together buttons on breeches in the days of velcro! At least they stayed on, right? And thanks also for putting up with what probably seem like silly questions. I've been out of the horse world for 20 years and am just finding my way back. My final question is, is the shadbelly and top hat optional for most hunter classes? I still think of the hunter ring as one where you can't go wrong wearing a dark colored navy wool jacket, light ratcatcher, beige or white breeches and field boots, as long as everything's spic and span.

So glad a friend told me about these forums.

Melissa

Comment

• LH - Love the picture of you and Valor at the Garden!
                                      What is George's show name and what division is he in? I'll look for him at KHP next week when I'm there.

BB

Comment

• Let me chime in on formal attire vs appointments vs corinthian. Formal attire meant only the rider had to be thus dressed. Appointments classes meant that the rider and horse both had to adhere to a lengthy list of specific details in tack and attire: sewn in, flat bridle, sandwich case, flat, folded, non-elastic girth, no saddle pad, no pads in stirrups, carry a whip, string gloves under flap of saddle, and on and on. Corinthian classes were the same with the added caveat that the rider must be a member of a recognized hunt. Those classes were a pain for the riders, but I LOVED getting ready for them. It really allowed the anal types like me to let their attention to detail shine!

Pam, was that picture of Val at the Garden the year I had him, or after you went to Champ and Linda?

Laurie
                                        Laurie

Comment

• What a gorgeous collection of horses, Lordhelpus. I think I need to have you find my horses for me from now on.
                                          When I saw the bit on the little pinto pony, I just KNEW what he rode like, I know many people that were trained by a naughty pinto pony with an iron mouth that could jump the moon if you could learn to ride well enough to get him there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X