• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Crockpot Recipes for Nights When You Ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you all enjoyed The Roast Chicken recipe. To me that's some serious comfort food

Gonna try Pony Grandma's split-pea soup next week... already have the peas!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fractious Fox View Post
      Thanks!
      Yeah, I know the recipes on the website are free, but my dad isn't likely to EVER visit that website, even if it makes sense to do so.

Not Your Mother's Crock Pot was one of the books I liked. Thanks!
      Instead of getting him a book, what about creating one with recipes you find online? I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors and categories for different things we’ve tried or plan to, and toss whatever didn’t make the cut. Most pages have notes about modifications I’ve made or who in the family really like/hated it. You could do something more fancy as a gift (maybe a scrap book or photo album?) and continue to add things you think he’d like in the future.

Eatingwell.com has a lot of easy, tasty, healthy recipes and I’ve been able to tweak many of them for the crock pot. In fact, I see very similar recipes on 365 so she must be doing the same thing.

Last week I made a super easy and delicious roast.

4 pound beef sirloin tip (I couldn’t find that so I used whatever was on sale and not marbled with fat)
      2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
      1 teaspoon crushed, dried rosemary
      1 teaspoon dried mint

Recipe said to spread the mustard on first but I mixed everything together, smeared it on and added an extra pinch of the dry ingredients on top. Fat side should be up if there is one.

I’ve made this in the oven several times but I’m going to try it in the crock pot today.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
        Glad you all enjoyed The Roast Chicken recipe. To me that's some serious comfort food
        Hey -- thanks a bunch for posting it. I couldn't remember who did.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
          Instead of getting him a book, what about creating one with recipes you find online? I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors and categories for different things we’ve tried or plan to, and toss whatever didn’t make the cut
          Ditto this! I do the same thing. It's cheaper, you end up with a better and more personalized cookbook, and the page protectors keep things splatter-proof.
          Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• CrazyGuineaPig and Jn4Jenny, thanks for the suggestion! That would be a great idea. I think I'm going to do it, or at least a version of it. I think I might get him the cookbook which explains the basics, and then a binder that he can add recipes I email to him (I live far away) to.

I just want him to be healthy, and I really think that doing something that points him in this direction is a good call, and will compliment his other gifts nicely. He's already outdone me on gifts though... I'm pretty sure he is giving me the Charles Owen Ultralite vest, woo! Go Dad! I'm 27, but he still likes to feel like he's watching out for me.
            Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

• Originally posted by JMurray View Post
              Beef stew is one that does up quick

Beef or Tofu cubes
              Carrots
              Mushrooms
              Potatoes
              Mushroom soup
              Garlic

Along this line, veal/barley soup. Comforting, simple, uncomplicated but rich tasting, goes with a loaf of rustic bread and butter. Just the thing to come home to. You'd be surprised at the flavor, lighter than beef barely soup, more 'french'

cubed veal
              1/4 cup butter or olive oil
              kitchen magic
              vegetable stock (Knorr cubes)
              onions sliced up for soup
              1 cup sherry

IMPORTANT Herb: Wild Bay Myrtle leaves, dried for the winter. See PS at the bottom.

Alternate Herb: Rosemary

cube the veal and roll it in a bit of gravy master or kitchen magic, not alot, just a bit
              saute the veal in one quarter cup of butter to brown it a bit; use olive oil instead if you like
              throw it into the pot with the onions, water, sherry, dried bay myrtle leaves (crushed or ground in spice grinder) and cubes of vegetable boullion. use one cube of knorr boullion per 2 cups water. You can pretty much fill up the crock pot with water including the sherry. Add several handfulls of dried barley. Maybe three, two might be better. Barley really expands, and you want this to be soup, not a "rice-type" of dish.

High for 3 hours, medium for 5 hours

Avoid the temptation to add garlic; this is a hearty while delicate soup which is quickly overwhelmed with with garlic or any more herbs than the oinion, savory herb, and sherry.

Also avoid using chicken or beef boullion. Those flavors are too strong, and overwhelm the flavors the soup will create on its own with the few more simple ingredients here.

Avoid using cooking sherry - this is very salty and unsuitable for this meal. Often an inexpensive but heary sherry is wonderful. Yes, you can try a tawny port, but not a red.

Add a bit of fresh sherry to the soup to finish off, when you get home, if you want, but not necessary. If fresh sherry is not added, pour a glass to accompany the meal.

Dish up in a favorite soup bowl, and hunch over the steaming bowl with a spoon in one hand and a hunk of crusty bread and butter in the other, a tumbler of sherry at the ready, reading COTH in the warm kitchen with the dog thumping his tail under the table. This way, you can see, well, you can notice, the kids and husband tumble through the door as they come in, and wave your arm in the general direction of the soup and bread, without having to get up or take your eyes off the horse threads.

Remember that alcohol is cooked off during the process, so there isn't anything in appropriate for the children, just a hint of the flavor.

PS - In late august, bay myrtle, or wax myrtle as some know it, is fragrant and full of oils - look up the plant online or in a book - crush the leaves beginning in late summer and wait until you find the savory aroma irrisistable. Pick thick stems of it and hang it in the kitchen for several weeks. Use this for suffings, soups, roasts, anything savory. The leaves and stems have a "juniper" flavor, not as bitter as the itialian type of bay leaf, much more New England in character. Really wonderful to have, and often found in many parts of the country along the edges of fields or open places, with beech, witch hazel, birch sapling, cedars, blueberry. The bay myrtle, or wax myrtlel will be the first bush on the edge of the cleared space. This is the same myrtle as Wax myrtle, which has been used for bayberry candles. The berries for the candles can be collected at the same time. Don'w wait until a near-frost night comes, once it gets cold at night, the oils in the leaves dry up and the flavor is gone, and you ahve to wait until next year to get some. The oils aren't rich in the plant until end of summer. Keep checking during the summer to see.
              Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

• If you have people in and out of the house through out the day like I do (DH's employees), I sometimes pop in a gallon of cider w/cinnamon sticks in the crock pot. MMMMM.....mulled cider!

Comment

• Nice one, Shine.

Not edible, but I keep a pot of water with orange peels, cinamon stick, cloves, and wax myrtle leaves, berries, or sticks, simmering on the stove. Just to cover the smell of wet dog, and riding boots, you see. Allows me to say yes if the landlord wants to stop in to fix the window or something.

Comment

• I make BBQ crockpot meatballs -they're really easy.
                    Take a bag of frozen pre-made meatballs, I like the italian kind but you can use regular. Put in like 1-1.5c ketchup. Like 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, a bit of worcestershire sauce, 2 tbs melted butter, slice a vidalia onion and put it in there, salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Pour a can of beer over the whole thing. I usually use natty light, but any yard beer works. I wouldn't use dark beer though. Low for 8 hours, and I serve over egg noodles or hoagie rolls or whatever I have on hand. I love to make this at night for early tailgates, take it in the crock pot sleeve with the lid on and it stays warm for quite some time.

The other thing I do, not in the crock pot, but I make chicken casserole and put it in at like 200 (350 for 45 mins if you're not at the barn) with foil on top the whole time I'm gone. Take about 2 lbs of pulled chicken (the easiest thing to do is use leftovers or get a rotisserie chicken from the store). Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1 16oz sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over chicken and mix around. Melt a stick of butter, crush a sleeve of crackers - usually saltines but Ritz are yummy if you want the added fat - mix the 2 and top the casserole. When you get home, jack the oven up to 450 and put it under the hot element without the tin foil to brown the top. This can be really yummy low-fat too if you use low-fat sour cream and low-fat soup. But don't use fat-free sour cream... gives it a tang that is unpleasant. You can add steamed veggies to this before cooking too. I usually serve it over rice. The greatest thing is you can make it in advance, freeze it, and then pop it in for a few hours on low heat and it's ready just like the crock pot.

Comment

• Or over egg noodles - yum.

Comment

• Originally posted by evans36 View Post
                        I make BBQ crockpot meatballs -they're really easy.
                        Take a bag of frozen pre-made meatballs, I like the italian kind but you can use regular. Put in like 1-1.5c ketchup. Like 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, a bit of worcestershire sauce, 2 tbs melted butter, slice a vidalia onion and put it in there, salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Pour a can of beer over the whole thing. I usually use natty light, but any yard beer works. I wouldn't use dark beer though. Low for 8 hours, and I serve over egg noodles or hoagie rolls or whatever I have on hand. I love to make this at night for early tailgates, take it in the crock pot sleeve with the lid on and it stays warm for quite some time.

I've been looking for something to serve for a little Christmas get-together and this sounds like it would be really good with side salads. Thanks - gonna give this a try!

For those of you who like sweet & sour recipes - I searched high and low for a recipe that had easily obtainable ingredients and found this. You can add mushrooms, any color bell peppers and any oriental additions to this base according to your taste:

4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
                        3/4 cup ketchup
                        1/2 cup white vinegar
                        3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
                        3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
                        2 cloves garlic (I buy already minced in a jar)
                        Salt/Pepper to taste
                        Dash Cayenne Pepper
                        1.5 cups chicken broth
                        1 can pineapple tidbits (undrained)
                        1/2 onion, sliced thin
                        1 thin sliced bell pepper (any color)
                        4 oz. thin spaghetti (broken into bite size pieces)

Combine first 9 ingredients, bring to a boil on stove, add spaghetti and boil just until slightly softened. Transfer to a crockpot, add pineapple, peppers & onion. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours until onions are translucent and peppers are very tender. Makes 6 svgs.

I don't have a lot of time for lunch as I'm in the barn daily, all day long. I come in, microwave a serving of the sweet & sour soup, add a cheese biscuit also heated in microwave, and it's ready in just a minute. With the excessive cold we've had here in GA the last week, this has really warmed me up considerably (and made me sleepy ).
                        Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

• I never got around to making the Turkish chicken yesterday but I did give one of those slow cooker packets in the spice aisle a try for chicken noodle soup. My husband thought it was from Panera or the deli so I guess I’ll be picking up more.

Didn’t someone earlier ask how to make ribs less greasy?

I use a rub (also from the spice aisle), stick them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, flip and cook for another 20. In the meantime I turn the crockpot on high, throw in half a small bottle of BBQ sauce and some water (maybe 1/2 cup), stir and add enough water to the rest of the bottle that it can be shaken and poured easily. Once the ribs are “browned” I transfer them to the crockpot, dump the rest of the BBQ sauce on top and turn it to low for 4-6 hours.

Diluting the sauce with water seems to be the key and there’s definitely no loss of flavor.

Comment

• Making Freebird's Boston Butt as we speak
                            Got stuff to make one of the taco soups too
                            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• ham bean and sausage soup

here is one from my recipe box for those wanting ones without a "cream of...." soup.
                              3 cans of beans I used one each of black beans, black eyed peas and pintos
                              6 cups of water
                              1/2 cup diced ham or 1 ham hock
                              1/2 cup diced green pepper
                              1/4 c diced onion
                              1/2 c diced carrots
                              1 clove crushed garlic (or 1/8 tsp dry)
                              1 bay leaf
                              3/4 tsp black pepper
                              1/4 tsp marjoram
                              1 Tb Worchstershire sauce
                              1/2 tsp basil
                              1 jar of tomato pasta sauce
                              1 link of sausage/out of casing in small chunks: you can adjust what kind to taste (how spicy you like it)....ranging from sweet Italian to hot Italian to andoullie sausage for those that like real kick!

Toss all in Crockpot/simmer on low 8 hours. Hubby didn't think he would like pasta sauce in his bean and ham soup peering in the pot...but decided he was wrong. I humorously reminded him when I made it tonight (to 2 bowls up for dinner) that I HAD made it before and he liked it the last time too!
                              Providence Farm
                              http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Today I'm making Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork, recipe from allrecipies.com...great to come home to after spending cold hours at the barn!!!

Comment

• Request to make this thread sticky?

Hey Moderators.

Any chance of making this thread sticky?

Comment

• Pepper Steak:

2 lbs. beef steak, cut into 2" cubes (or strips)
                                    garlic powder to taste
                                    3 tablespoons veg. oil
                                    1 beef bouillon cube
                                    1/4 c. hot water
                                    1 tbsp. cornstarch
                                    1/2 c. chopped onion
                                    2 large bell peppers rough chopped (or strips)
                                    1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, w/ juice
                                    3 tbsp. soy sauce
                                    1 teas. white sugar
                                    1 teas. salt

Sprinkle beef w/ garlic powder the brown in oil - transfer to crock pot

Mix bullion cube in hot water, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour mixture over meat. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar and salt.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4.

This can basically be used with any cut of beef. I like to use a green and red pepper for variation I also tend to add more onion and peppers but this is the general recipe.

Great over rice!

Comment

• Hey all... I got a new one I tried on Friday. YUMMO!

CROCK POT FRENCH DIP

--4 pounds rump roast
                                      --1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
                                      --1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
                                      --1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
                                      --6 French rolls
                                      --2 Tablespoons butter

Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce in individual bowls for dipping.
                                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• I've made chicken in the crock pot twice since this thread started and today it's pinto beans (1 lb dried beans, ham hock, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powser, water). DH will make corn bread in the cast iron skillet later to go with the beans

The chicken with rosemary and thyme is great to put into chicken salad with mayo, pepper, sweet relish, cranberry 'Craisins' and walnuts. (Recipe reverse engineered from some fancy deli place where I paid $7 for a sandwich and said, we can make this cheaper...)

I'll have to talk DH out of the green chile pork recipe he does in the crockpot, but after all the cheese and corn tortillas that get added it does not go in the 'good for you' column.
                                        --
                                        Wendy
                                        ... and Patrick

Comment

• and somtimes there is good ole nuttin' fancy:
                                          last night I did corned beef. All that went in the the am is the corned beef, water and spice pack that comes with it. No extra stuff needed for a tender corned beed. Served w/ sauerkraut and 'taters that I threw in the the oven on the way out to feed the horses. Leftovers only need rye bread swiss cheese and russian dressing to make reubens the next night. Russian dressing is getting really hard to find though....can either subsitute 1000 Island or make in 2 seconds from scratch. The from scratch is best made ahead though so the flavors can meld.....so do it when you throw the beef in the CP in the am!!
                                          1/2 cup mayo
                                          1.5 tsp onion
                                          1/2 tsp horseradish
                                          1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
                                          1/2 tsp parsley
                                          1.5 TB chili sauce
                                          1.5 tsp ketchup

in a pinch (like last night!) when I didn't have chili sauce I subsituted pickle relish and it came out fine
                                          Providence Farm
                                          http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X