• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question for Merry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dublin: that's a dear photo! Oh, that horse shows could be so pleasant and "fun" again, the mood that photo conveys.

suave: Okay, we may have just missed crossing paths, time-wise, at the fairgrounds. As soon as I saw the Daily Pilot photo, I knew, without looking at the caption, that was DeeDee Beauchamp. Again, didn't know her personally, but I "knew" her as one of the gals riding hunters at the fairgrounds. As for CHRIS CORNELL... LOL!Yes, she was Katrina's "rider" whom I er, replaced, let's say. The whole hoopla came to a head when, as I recall, she lied about her age at the A-rated fairgrounds show so she could still ride Juniors and Jackie Kruckenburg nailed her on it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] The last straw, to Katrina, was when she rode a horse for Don Swan while Katrina was gone. That got her fired. I was just a young teen, sort of on the outside, but I just remember thinking, "So, she rode a horse for another trainer????Big whoopin' deal." Little did I realize the animosity between Katrina and Don! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I inherited the rides on Sweetie/No Exit, whatever the heck that little red TB gelding was called that Chris rode. Must say I cleaned up on him, and until recently showed a similar horse in the amateur division and my mom and sister would always remark, "It just brings back memories of you on Sweetie." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

As for asking questions about trainers currently, I see you have e-mail. I'll e-mail you and we can be a tad more discreet. But go ahead and "ask" the names here... You'll probably get far more e-mail responses than just me!

Comment

• The BHSM (blond horse Show Mom) belonged to none-other that Julie Smith. I used to get such a kick out of seeing her navigate the tricky footing in her stiletto heels. And the blond hair and short skirts. She looked so trendy back then in comparision to my HS Mom, who was heavily into sensible shoes.

The girl I am referring to had the initials NH and her sister was the real riding star of the family. There was a birth announcement in Horses as well as a wedding announcement.

I ran into Lee Garrett about 10 years ago when I lived in Laguna Beach. She was working in the White House (Bar & Grill on PCH) there as the head bartender.

From last I heard about Dee Dee her Dad had set her up with a management job in one of his health clubs in Hawaii I think. But that was some time ago.

I remember in 1969, Lisa Wagner had a terrible riding accident at the fair grounds riding Harriet. I think she hit her head really hard and I don't think she really ever rode after that.

I saw her some years later and I could tell that the accident had taken its toll so to speak. The Wagner's were such nice folks.

I have really loved seeing all the wonderful pictures that have been posted. Keep 'em coming!

On a different note. I ran across a lady selling old editions of HORSES magazines on EBAY. She has a collection of about 15 years worth. If any of you are interested. let me know & I'll pass along her email address. She doesn't have many Christmas issues though.

Some terrific rider combinations I remember are Best Bet and Susie, Get Smart and Rob Gage, Gilligan and Susie Arnold, EastPoint and Debbie Flanigan, Patti Huddleston and Troubador, Munnings and Jimmy Kohn, Diane Dixon and Chances Are (I think or was that Francie Steinwedell??)

Do you remember that the fences for the kids classes were 3'6" with 4' spreads. Maybe our first fence, a brush, was kinda a warmup at 3' or so. Nowadays, it's 1'9" long stirrup (I just got back into showing last year after 30 years..call me crazy). I thought to myself what the heck is Long Stirrup, then the 2'6" medal classes the 3' Medals etc. What ever happened to Hunter Hack classes. I loooved that class. So many changes. I really feel dated.

The other night I watched "The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit" they did some show filming at Portagese Bend HS. Did the riders that you caught glimpses of looked terrible??? Or did they just get some bad shots. There's one scene where they are filming someone on course and the horse chipped at every fence and the rider looked like a passenger. Is it my imagination???

Sorry for being so long winded...but I am having so much fun... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• PamM, I wish I had a relative in the TB breeding and pedigree business, but alas....
        When did you ride at Lake Oswego Hunt Club? Portland Hunt Club was about 4 miles west of the little town of Progress, on Scholls Ferry Road, technically in Beaverton or Tigard. It was at the top of a hill, and most of what you could see from there was farmland. They had a clubhouse, outdoor ring and outdoor hunt course and the views of the surrounding countryside were spectacular! I went back to Oregon for the first time in about 25 years last spring, and all the places I rode at (Portland Riding Academy, Sunwood Farms, Mountain Park Stables) were long gone, replaced by houses and shopping malls, as well as Ridgeview Equestrian Center. Quite sad.

Lake Oswego Hunt Club is one of the sole surviving stables from my era, and looks virtually unchanged in all that time! It's been designated a historic landmark by the state of Oregon, and I found a website for them that you might want to check out:
        http://www.lakeoswegohunt.com

SuaveReno, I loved Best Bet, and was lucky enough to compete against Susie a couple of times when I rode at the California State Fair. And I remember Eastpoint and Debbie Flanagan - wasn't he a really flashy bay (or chestnut, brain cells are failing me) with lots of chrome??

Does anyone recall Donna Storkan? I actually met her one year at the Oregon State Fair when she was up competing from California, and we became friends. I kept in touch with her while I was in
        college in Southern California, and actually spent a Thanksgiving with her at a show at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. Her dad was nice enough to have a catered turkey dinner for all of her barn friends, which we ate out by their portable stalls! I lost touch with her after I moved to Northern California, but saw a few years ago in an alumni newsletter that my husband gets that she was married, with a couple of kids, living in Eugene, Oregon.

And finally, thanks for the nice words, Merry! It seemed like the local papers back then were always taking publicity photos for shows -- I have several more, along with ones of people I rode with, in an old scrapbook.
        In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
        ~~~~~
        \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
        *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

• Sure, I remember Troubadour! And Peggy Osterkamp had Mateus. But both those horses had just left the scene when I started showing. Peggy Osterkamp's family's dairy is literally down the road from my house. I've run into her a few times in town. She had Eastern Flier turned out in a corral in front until he died. Her younger sister, Karen, was in a student teaching class with me, while we were getting our teaching credentials (yes, the state of California allowed me to instruct the youth of America!).

Yes, it must be really strange to you to see "Long Stirrup" classes. I had to have that one explained to me, too!

Okay, Calif. clique, let's all take a deep breath. We seem to have breathed new life into this thread yet again!

It's alive, alive, I say! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• I loved your picture!!! Your name sounds soo familiar to me. Did you advertised in HORSES from time to time? If I recall EastPoint was a flashy chestnut that Jimmy also showed in conformation hunters as well as Debbie. I remember when Susie won her Onodarka medal (or was it the finals...talk about brain cells failing!!) on Best Bet at Santa Barbara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Feb. 18, 2001 at 10:39 PM.]

Comment

• I had 3 or 4 ads in HORSES 1967-1972 timeframe.
              ~~~~~
              *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

• After reading Erin's post about BB statistics for this website, I got to thinking that this topic might ultimately have more pages and posts than any other....so I put my brain cells (or what is left of them on this 2nd day of a 3 day weekend) to work to see if I could think of any longer topics. The only one that came to mind was 'Bush vs. Gore Re: Horse Industry' (how could we forget THAT one?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) , so I went all the way back to PAGE 64 of the posts (we have all definitely been a chatty bunch since that time!) and checked it out. It had 28 pages, 557 posts, and ran from 10/20 - 11/8/2000.

Q for Merry is currently 26 pages long, with 508 posts and has run from 11/23/2000 - 2/12/2001. It's definitely had a second wind the past few days, so it may go on FOREVER....I think we're gonna be #1 soon!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (and major THANKS to Coreene for starting it all) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
                ~~~~~
                *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

• I take my daughter to the snow today and this thread takes off.
                  I have noticed the chips in the movie The Horse in the Grey Flannel SUit, and some of the other faux pas. I am really beginning to notice them after watchin g them quite a lot last week. I think four times in the last five days. My two year old likes to watch the horses jump. No I am not brain washing her. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• Susies sister.
                    Nancy Hutchinson. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                    http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                    [url]
                    Starman Babies

Comment

• You are not going to believe this but it was I, SuaveReno, not Jackie that blew the whistle on Chris at the OC A show. Chris was 3 years my senior and was a senior when I was a freshman at CdMHS. I was really upset because this show was my last as a junior and I really wanted to end my "career" with a bang. Eric Atterbury was the judge (and he was kinda poopy judge to begin with) and I believe she won 3 flat classes. So I had my Dad drive back to the house and pick up my High School annual and we showed it to Ralph V. Walker, then Chris needed to show her birth certificate and the rest was history. So Katrina had no knowledge of her age??? Hard to believe since she was at UCI at the time and had to be riding during the day. Interesting stuff. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

• Right you are.

That was the biggest scandal at the time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• I agree, this topic has been most entertaining. While I hardly contribute (hey, I'm only 26 AND extremely shy), I am thoroughly enjoying my enrollment in So Cal Gossip 101.

Coreene played hooky from work on Friday, and as she mentioned before, does not have a computer at home (come on dearie, that is so 20th century!!!). I will be sure to thank her on Monday for her incredible, life-altering creation of BB perfection.

Taryn
                          "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Comment

• Even all the way up in Washington, you are the QUEEN of California show gossip! You make this native Oregonian proud..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                            ~~~~~
                            *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

• Thanks for the link to LOHC. I noticed that it was last updated about a year ago--and with al the infighting between the H/J, eventers. dressage and lesson people, who knows if Mary von Zimmerman is still there?

I rode with Jim Dahlquist when I first moved to Portland from SF (married an Oregonian and thought it would be nice to live in the same state. He disagreed--wanted me to stay in SF and we would keep commuting both ways. Turned out he was probably right and the marriage would have lasted a lot longer, LOL. But that's another story...) I loved the indoor ring, but the politics between the different groups was just too much.

Some of Jim's customers bought a beautiful barn and he moved into it and took 90% of his people with him. I had left by then because of the aforementioned politics and the lack of turnout. (I had gotten into the babies off the track by then and needed turnout for them, so I moved to a barn in Sherwood.)

I certainly miss parts of Oregon life (Spring, summer and fall to name 3...) and the beach (we had a beach house in Gearhart that I miss a lot...) But Lexington, KY is "Horse capital of the World" and is a great place to live --or will be when it warms up...
                              "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• I know she is Northern California, but she certainly showed all over the state (with Gary Ryman, among others --- and no mention of Gary, or was there?)

Remember some of Pat's wonderful horses?

Quail Run (from Flintridge) (aka "Bert" because his JC registered name was "Run Like El, Bert" after his sire, the immortal Elbert [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]))

Spend the Winter

pop into mind immediately.
                                "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• I think Gary was mentioned a few pages back, way back.

Comment

• Original Poster

1. Merry works for someone I worked for for one week, years ago, where...

2. I met Beezer (fleeting meet, but I remember her as being very nice), years before I went to work in...

3. Irvine, where I am down the street from Chef

Haven't been at work since Thursday, so I must scroll through it all, but I'm thrilled to see that it all keeps going.

SUAVE RENO, I saw a few of your posts and there are more names that I haven't heard for years just flooding my memories!

EBAY LISTING HORSES MAGAZINE? I'd love the address of the lady selling them. Mine is coreene@yahoo.com and I can't wait to get my hands on some. Talk about all sorts of blasts...

Comment

• I believe I mentioned her wayyyyyyyyy back Pam M.
                                      No one replied.
                                      She use to have Richard Keller show her horses, long before Gary came out of juniours.
                                      They would sometimes trailer up and show at the LWSC Fourth of July shows, at Bridle Trails State Park, along with lots of Arabian people from AZ and CA.
                                      I saw a photo of a little girl showing Quail Run in a Quirk edition of HORSES.
                                      But like you I have no idea what she is doing now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Changing that to "VAN up" as Pat had a lovely horse van with her stable name on it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Bumpkin on Feb. 19, 2001 at 12:51 PM.]
                                      http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                                      http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                                      [url]
                                      Starman Babies

Comment

• Yes, PamM, we "did" the whole Gary Ryman topic already, LOL! (But may he R.I.P.).

Should we publish an index to all the tidbits we've hashed out already? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You know, SuaveReno, that whole Chris and lying about her age: I think that was one of the first shows I ever rode in, and it was filled with controversy!OOOHHH! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] How it foretold the intrigue I would later encounter in my horse show life! I just remember Chris's suspension with the AHSA as being all hush-hush, because remember, back in those days, practically all we had were little schooling shows OR the A shows. Bravo to you for turning her in! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Long, long after that, after she left Katrina's, I was working at the Warehouse restaurant in Newport. I did the books there, but I had to work on the floor one Sunday brunch, and there was Chris on what seemed like a "date" with this much older guy. It was kind of awkward, like, "Hi, remember me? I'm the one who inherited the fancy horse you used to ride before you were 8-balled by the AHSA?" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, my sister Beezer is not cracking the whip over her reporters at the Times today, so she's not near a computer. I'm sure she'll check in on this thread tomorrow. I must go now and feed my koi and bullfrogs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

• PamM, when did you train with him? A grade school friend of mine, Alexandra Zell (Zi Zi way back when....) rides with him and has the very nice hunter Lucky You. He was 14th in the national AHSA standings for open working hunter last year, and has won numerous championships in the green and open divisions at Indio over the last three years. He was in the ribbons at Indoors last fall as well. And Zi Zi has won a lot with him in the older A/A's. I just saw from HITS show results page that he was reserve champion Open Conformation hunter at Indio last week.

Did you know her? She started out riding at Portland Riding Academy as I did, then moved over to Lake Oswego Hunt Club, and then I lost touch with her. Ironically, she never showed as a junior, but it has been fun reconecting with her to an extent by following her current show career!
                                          ~~~~~
                                          *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

Working...
                                          X