• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question for Merry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

I hope that my horse makes it to a very old age. He will be 19 this year. His dad is still breeding at 27, and I hope he makes it to at least that, greying and happy. May he have a Shetland Pony age theory in his Warmblood life.

Comment

• Beezer, that is such a nice story! Personally, I wouldn't expect any less from Alison. I worked for her until I moved down here to So. Ca, and she loves her horses so much. They get the best care, she's very low key and doesn't campaign them too hard. I'll have to send her an e-mail.

Coreene, we should drive up together, but I must warn you-I have all the clinics I want to see scheduled down to the minute, and I have very little room for flexibility!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm sorry, feeling a bit cheeky here at work today. By the way, I'm in Costa Mesa, off Red Hill right by the airport. The noise is mind numbing.
      "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh - well, maybe we should check out this schedule thing out then. I have this potential to get very itchy with all the clinics. Much easier for me to shop and bail. Maybe we should rendezvous this weekend and swap notes. Or you should email me which ones you're going to. Or we should just all cluster up while there.

SO did Dave get an adjustment from Gesa? Willem did, it was bliss. His eyes are now very big.

Comment

• Last saw Twinkie at the Pebble Beach Classics last July with a really nice amateur horse (what else?)
          \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

Comment

• oops Spunky - I tried to catch you before you made the call. Oh well! She caters to kids almost exclusively.

Good luck!

Comment

• Pam M Maggie is still very involved in the show world. She actually came and judged Menlo in '97 I believe. Looked great too. Still doing her lawyer thing, and has gotten more involved with racing. Actually saw her interviewed on either 20/20 or 60 minutes concerning some bad guy from Ohio. She was great.

Comment

• I'll find you this weekend and we'll figure things out. I get bored during clinics as well, but I'm at my wits end with Dave's spookiness and need a fresh outlook on how to handle it. I also would like to see the clinic on regaining your riding confidence/boldness. I've been scared and hurt by so many horses in my past, and it's really affecting my relationship with Dave.

Ooooo I love Gesa, she is a really neet lady. Dave was in heaven, and was out in so many places. He feels so much better now, even looks better-much smoother along his topline.
                "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Comment

• Original Poster

The older Willem gets, the spookier he is. It must be a Brown Guy thing. How about having him work with Andy? He has done WONDERS with Willem. Like night and day. And that has done wonders with me, too. It was so bad with me that I was in the corner of my stall vomiting for at least half an hour before getting on. I was just so scared that he was going to bolt every time I mounted. And 99% of it was totally baseless.

Now, although it's not my favorite thing in the world (the actual mounting part), it's much, much better and we are even enjoyng ourselves an awful lot and going on trails. And I credit Andy for almost all of it.

Comment

• Oops. Sorry Spunky for what was obviously a bum steer toward Park Place. Just have seen her sign at the OC Fairgrounds offering lessons, so thought I'd offer up a possibility. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Comment

• I havn't met or heard anything about Andy. It seems like everyone has been offering to either ride Dave themselves or send him to one of a million trainers.

I'm really looking for someone who is kind, as Dave has had so many meanies in his life thus far. I also want someone I can work WITH, not just send my horse away for training. I need to learn how to deal with his specific personality. I will definatly talk with you this weekend.

Comment

• You could fly up and see WTFalso! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                        http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                        [url]
                        Starman Babies

Comment

• Original Poster

Then we'll for sure talk. Andy has worked with both of us and it's been a real help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SPUNKY I'll call you at your hotel and we'll definitely try and do lunch on Friday, how fun!

Comment

• Honestly, I haven't taken a lesson in decades on another barn's horse, so I am totally clueless where to send you! I just thought of a few names of folks who give lessons. And, at least out in this area, the solid 3ft. horse is usually sold to someone to use at the county shows, LOL, it ain't a school horse. Now, if you want a lesson doing crossrails in a two-point... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Coreene, on the HB show info. Isn't it amazing how riders either support a show or they don't? There is just no middle ground. They come once, if they don't like the footing, food, management, the people working the back gate, the flowers around the jump--- they won't come back.

And the old Del Mar photo is actually very educational and enlightening, isn't it? Look at all the people in the grandstand. It's packed! So when we, as an industry, start belly-aching about not attracting spectators & sponsors, we need to look BACK and figure out what went wrong!

(Just my nostalgic 2cents here) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

• Regarding the Flintridge era you mention. Was'nt Melissa Cardinas (Johnson) a rider then too? With Susie H., and Anne K. ? Bumpkin also mentioned earlier in this post a Jimmy Kohn (sp?). Didn't Melissa also ride with him? He is the trainer who moved out to PA. and passed away last year,am I correct? Also, Did Melissa have a big Hanovarian breeding program at one time? Sorry for all the Q's(?), but I'm just curious. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Hmmm.... I don't recall the Cardenas girl myself, but you must remember I was kind of boy crazy at the time (hence the Kosti/Kenny stories earlier!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But I so totally remember Jimmy Kohn. If I thought long enough some of his horses out here would come back to me. (Paging Beezer... Will Beezer please come to the front desk...) Jimmy did practically all jumpers, as I recall. His place was called Horses LTD., and he also operated quite a sales barn out of there. I just remember being told to watch him ride, that I could learn a lot from him. So, what happened to him? How did he die? Was it a riding accident? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

• Actually I have Bumpkin to thank. She told me about you.

With you being so boy crazy, maybe you knew Richard Johnson? He rode too, but is now in Hawaii.

As far as Jimmy goes, I believe he was sick, I'm not really sure. He had only just moved out to Pa. in '97 I believe (with his wife), and started a farm in Unionville raising young ones. Check with our very own "Chronicle" for details related to his passing.

I quess Melissa Cardinas Johnson will remain a mystery.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

• Ages ago (late 60's), I tried out a horse when Jimmy was up in Northern California (Portola Valley) at Berry Hill Farm. I realized when I moved to this area after college that some of the fields I had been cooling the horse out in afterwards had become the 280 freeway! I vaguely remember it being a nice facility - wonder if it still exists, and if so, is it still a h/j barn??
                                    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
                                    ~~~~~
                                    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
                                    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

• I had a horse off the track that Bumpkin's race trainer left with me to ride and hopefully sell.
                                      He was a flashy large chestnut with chrome.
                                      Actually a sweet horse but he got me in the forehead while lunging him, and I now sport a horse shoe shaped scar on my hairline.
                                      Anyways shortly after that Jimmy Kohn bought him, and I was off to Europe for 4 years.
                                      I heard that the horse did very well and represented the USA, although not in the Olympics.
                                      This would have been I believe, approx. 1975-77. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                                      http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                                      http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                                      [url]
                                      Starman Babies

Comment

• Melissa Cardinas (Johnson) was discussed several pages back. She DID have a warmblood breeding operation outside of Santa Cruz in the 80's.
                                        "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• Pam, Yes believe me, I've read all the previous pages. But still haven't found all the answers on Melissa Cardinas Johnson. What happened, was she a rider for the USET? That's the biggie! Did she represent our team?

MO

Comment

Working...
                                          X