• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Baby Greenie Support Group now open: Share Your Pain!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?"

That we didn't have a reason to nickname him "Dopey". That he would not scare himself so much, and that my dtr would not have to jump up and down in front of him waving her hands in his face and shouting "Booga booga booga!" when he gets into his "Dopey" moods. Silly, but after a couple of times it settles him down. He's usually a smart guy and he'll realize what an idiot he is being.

Otherwise, he's near perfect - could be a little bolder, but hey, he's a hunter and he's quiet, mellow, has a giant stride for such a shortie (16.0hh & can do a 3 in 2 and you want to see it again because it really looked like 3), and he has square knees when he jumps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On a side note, can you believe my kid is currently begging me for a second greenie? And a 3 yr old at that! At least Rio was ridable even if he did not know how to canter last fall.

Comment

Well it is so nice to see I am in good company.

I would like to add mine to the list that needs the wand.

I would wish for consistancy- One day the most wonderful horse on the planet, the next day "sYque" he is jerk that you were riding 8 months ago.

I wish that the bug that lands on his chest 3strides before a jump would become a none issue. "I can't get it off.....aaaahhhh"

I wish that his attention would focas on the jump the WHOLE time we are jumping it.

These are just a few but, but you all know what I am talking about.

Comment

I, too, wish for consistency...

When he's good, he's very, very good...
        When he's bad, it's like he has completely forgotten what his job is supposed to be.

I have to say, though, he's good 80% of the time now. So we're gettin' there... Whew!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would wish for her to have a longer attention span. No you don't need to change the way you spook at the same old trash can by the ring at home. Gee, today it is only to the right at a trot. Tomorrow it is only to the left at a canter. Next week? Hmmm, every direction at every gate. Makes the ride more interesting for her. Never mind that she has seen it no less than a trillion times.

As long as we are dreaming how about: yes you can go around collected, moving forward, and on the bit without snarking about it.

Newest Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group (but slowly growing out and graduating!)
          \"The credit belongs to those people who are actually in the arena...who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause; who at best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Comment

Great topic
            Some many things to change...
            Most obvious... leaving out strides down lines.... Yes Mickey i know you can go the four in three.. the six in five or sometimes four!!! but the judge ( and my trainer and ME!!) are not at all impressed.
            Being a spook!!!! the judges stand does not mysterious disappear and re-appear at the same spot. You can use your corners. and no it does not mean fall to pieces in the flat class when the judge asks us to reverse!!!!
            He use to buck, only got me off once... he would actually pause and let me reposition before bucking some more... They seemed to be quite ridable, but I was told they were quite spectacular with sometime 3ft of ground clearance. its is never good when i hear my trainer go..." oh my...." and " okay just hold on....".
            I am hoping that the new saddle will help with a lot of problems we were having... i found out that my old saddle was sitting off to the left severly, which accounted for a lot of his behaviours and ring issues.

Can't remember who mentioned that they took their baby green to two shows back to back , but I did the same thing...actually three ( the first two weeks were one day schooling shows) by the time we rolled into the third show a two day "C"... he was much calmer at least about the show grounds. By Sunday he even managed to behave enough to help me win a Inter. Adult EQ flat class and got fourth in the same over fences. He still is a spook, but I think he finally figured out he wasn't going to die!!! If you can do it is worth it... don't have to ride thier legs off just get them out!!!
            Good luck everyone!!!

Comment

While Midge is not a baby at ten years, she is green in her non-racing career.

I know you spent six years learning to lean on the bridle, but could we stop doing it now?

Could we not bulge quite so hard to the left?
              You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Of course you would recognize that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Many of the horse shows near Atlanta are held at a resort and vineyard named Chateau Elan. The setting is just gorgeous and it's always a pleasure to ride there.

Here's another look. This is one of the warm-up rings.

[This message was edited by LaurieB on Jul. 20, 2001 at 09:23 AM.]
                www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

I have been watching Merry's closing and wondered how I could become a member of the Baby Greenie Clique. Guess this is my chance.

My daughter moved from her ever dependable pony to a baby greenie this year. We have been taking it really slowly and things were progressing nicely until about a month ago. Then all heck broke loose. Suddenly we are having panic attacks in the show ring. We did the ticketed warmups very nicely. We hacked in the show ring the morning of the show at Culpeper with no incident. We warmed up for the class with only the usual apprehension.
                  We got to the gate....and that is as far as we got. Stage fright? We never even got a chance to have a bad fence. We didn't even get there. We did make a nice hunter circle in one class. That was an expensive circle.

As Jumpsalot said, very EMBARASSING. Believe me if he had been behaving that way at home we would never have put him on the trailer much less spent all my vacation funds. We are now back home and back to the drawing board. Can't find physical problems but we are giving him a week off just in case then we are going to have some attitude adjustment lessons.

I know that this is what we are callin our transition year but I didn't anticipate all this. It is somewhat comforting to me to see that we aren't the only ones with Greenis issues. Thanks for letting me vent.
                  Finally down to a manageable number!

Comment

Do I get any sympathy if I have a barn full of greenies? Jumpsalot...I feel your pain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

Comment

Wow LaurieB, that is beautiful! I live, work and keep my horse on our vineyard. I have some great pics of my horse with the vines in the background. It is fun to see others too!!

Do they let you ride around the vineyard at the show?? That is my horses favorite thing to do. He really wants to go up and down the rows but I am a bit paranoid about all of the wire and if he spooked and got tangled up in it. We just stick to around the outside.

Here is a shot of my horse in front of out Pinot Noir early in the season when the vines were just getting going.
                      www.clospepe.com

Comment

Boy is it nice to have a support group. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something TERRIBLY wrong! It had been 5 years since I had ridden a tota baby- starting from scratch. My old "baby" was doing the regular working & Large junior, with an occasional foray into Prelim Land. I FORGOT what babies were like!!!!!!Amazing how time can erase the pain & suffering(like childbirth?)
                        Well , as Buster's Mom said, it can be downright frustrating when all is going GREAT & suddenly, braincramps.
                        For those at Culpeper, 2nd week, if you saw a chestnut with a lot of chrome that was scaring women & small children the first few days, that was Lio- I apologize for the inappropriate behavior. He promised on that Friday that it would not happen again & begs forgiveness. He was super after that(or am I in denial?)
                        The other one- well- I am going to try dangling a carrot from my fishing pole- just in front of him. Do you think they will count off if it is legal length-?48 inches - I believe- I guess I will have to use a baby carrot for the total length to stay under 48"
                        Thank you for the space & place to vent & be supported in my total confusion & (at times) misery
                        Jumpsalot & Lio
                        Charter members of the BGSG
                        It\'s a pity life ain\'t got no warranty for times like now...

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, the photos that've been posted are lovely! At least we can all agree: our babies are beautiful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh dear, poor Busters Mom: We so, so deeply feel your pain! Your incident recalls the former spotted Wonder Mare I bred/raised/owned. She did exactly the same thing in her baby green years. It's a fear of leaving the herd and going into the arena alone. True, you can force the issue, but it gets really ugly! Our solution: we went to a half-dozen teeny shows where my sister went into the arena ON ANOTHER HORSE and sat there whilst I schooled over the fences. Talk about making a fool out of oneself! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] But it worked and that mare went on to be an awesome jumper! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

Comment

I wish that Mickey's head would not go straight up into the air when he goes into his baby green classes. He looks like a giraffe and it is quite unattractive. I wish that he wouldn't wiggle and zig-zag down the line, trying to figure out how to get out of jumping over those scary flowers and shrubbery.

But I must give him kudos - he doesn't do anything bad in our classes...so far no bucking, spooking, scooting, stopping. Other than his giraffe-neck, he's quite the gentleman!

(i'm knoocking on wood as I type this)

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"
                            My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Merry, I am so glad to see that the plan we have in mind worked for you. We are going to go to a couple of real small local shows in August to try to get over this ring anxiety thing. Jumpsalot will ride over fences to provide "strong encouragement" and my child will do the flat for now. No need to rattle the green horse with a green child. Or rattle a green child with a green horse. We also have access to a real packer which will give my child some needed confidence. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks so much for the support. It is SO nice to know we aren't alone!!
                              Finally down to a manageable number!

Comment

I've often wondered if a QH trainer could help, because the general explanation as to why he can't get the leads consistently is that he is built to go long and low like a finished hunter, and he is not elevated in front enough to get the changes (yes - I ride him in an elevator). Since he is built like a QH, maybe they would have more success! I wonder what miracle man would think of Justice spending some time at western camp? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

He'd probably have a coronary! But if it meant he learned the leads - hey - it's okay by me. Any recommendations in Southern Cal?
                                Trinity Farm LLC
                                Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                                Like us on Facebook:
                                https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

I wish that frank would go around like he was sober instead of weaving like he just had 4 beers.

*KB Passion*
                                  *KB Love Affair*
                                  *KB Incognito*
                                  *KB Eternity*
                                  *KB Time and time again*
                                  And the Oh so wonderful
                                  *** KB In Heaven ***
                                  *KB Passion*
                                  *KB Love Affair*
                                  *KB Incognito*
                                  *KB Eternity*
                                  *KB Time and time again*
                                  And the Oh so wonderful
                                  *** KB In Heaven ***

Comment

Oh magic wand, I wish for all of the above on the greenie I am riding. Attention span is a big issue and no Stanley you do not have to answer EVERY winny you here. Those horses are talking to each other not you, and the louder you scream DOES NOT help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                                    And No you do not have to buck for your hind lead, you can do it at home, so you can do it in the show ring.
                                    And please just once, could you use your front end and pick up your knees, again the attention thing, look everywhere else but at the fence. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] oh a jump I'll just swing my front legs to the right and my hind legs to the left. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and land in a pile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Oh the joy, can you feel the love?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                                    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder, He carries me away from all my fears. And when the world threatens to fall asunder, His mane is there to wipe away my tears. ~Bonnie Lewis

Comment

I need the magic want to turn good. That's my biggest problem, once he is straight to a fence there is no stoping him. I need the magic wand for me because my greenie is wonderful, I get in his way, lol. Have done a few lead changes after fences and got some, but have yet to set down and seriously work on them.
                                      Look out for Tick's over fences debut some time this summer, hopefully.

Comment

KB - I wish Jade would go around like she just had 4 beers...maybe then she would just CHILL. That is my wish...How did Justice and Jade come out with opposite temperaments?

Although the great thing about support groups is sharing success and giving everyone hope! I'd like to report that Jade and I were 2nd in the A/A hunters today and 1st under saddle! YEAH! She was SUCH a good girl, didn't peak at a thing. It probably helped that my trainer hopped on her bareback yesterday (brave soul) took her to the ring and walked her around for a hour while my mom fed her carrots! She was probably so worried that if she went too fast today she'd miss the carrot lady! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you at the Oaks? Congratulations!
                                          Trinity Farm LLC
                                          Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                                          Like us on Facebook:
                                          https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

Working...
                                          X