• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great topic!
    Anyone remember in the late '70's when the junior divisions at A shows was so big that if you had a major fault (eg. a rail down) you were "bleeped" out and didn't get to finish the course? Happened to me once at N.C. State Fair (yes, the old Dorton arena), and they blew a LOUD horn (like a car horn) - how embarassing!

Comment

One thing no-one else has mentioned- NO saddlepads in the show ring. Saddlepads were considered a "shortcut" to keep the bottom of your saddle clean, and were NOT acceptable at a show.

Another big no-no was field boots. They were just for schooling, but not acceptable in the show ring. And that may be one of the reasons for boot straps. Fewer people had custom boots, and even custom dress boots tend to slip down if you have a high instep. The bootstrap (fastened between the third and fourth BUTTONS on your canary non-stretch, peg-legged britches) kept the heel of you boot from slipping down.

(Modern aside, in an emergency situation- custom boots fell apart, I needed SOEMTHING to show in next weekend - I bought a pair of off-the-rack dress boots that were a bit loose round the ankle.instep. I decided that boot straps would help. The boots still have the loop at the back, but NOBODY sells boot straps. I ended up buying a pair of spur straps and using them.)

I never had anything but a black jacket. I was in Pony Club, and you needed a black jacket for the rally, and my parents couldn't see any point in buying TWO jackets we were just going to outgrow. (Other kids had a all sorts of light coleored and bright colored jacets, as well as real tweeds.) I had a variety of solid colored shirts (white and pale yellow are the ones I remember). But where we really went wild was with the chokers. All sorts of different colored prints. I particularly remember a gray silk one with little red and yellow diamonds on it. NOBODY wore a solid colored choker. And you HAD to wear a stock pin or similar with it. If you didn't, the choker would rotate around your neck so the buttons were in the front.

Our hard hats were black velvet, with a black elastic strap which was of no use at all. Adults showed in Derby's in the hunter classes. And anyone who was not on the hunt staff who wore a hard hat with the ribbon DOWN would be laughed off the grounds.

For Pony Club we had to wear white cotton gloves, but we didn't wear those for showing.

At many recognized shows (and the one I remember in particular is the Bedford Whip and Spur on "old" Mrs. Tucker's estate) ALL of the hunter classes took place on the outside course. There was a nice flat spot about half way round the course where they held the under saddle classes. It could get a little hairy at the hand-gallop, which was ALWAYS called for in the under-saddle class, followed by a "hold hard."

Only the equitation classes were held in the ring. But there were ENOUGH equitation classes to keep the ring busy all day. Maiden, Novice, Limit, Open, Medal, Mclay. Under 12, 12 to 14, 15 to 17. Leadline. But no short stirrup division. And I don't remember any walk trot classes at recognized shows, only at unrecognized shows.

The hunter classes for Juniors (sorry, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Seniors) were Small Pony (2'6"), Large Pony (3'), Junior Hunters (3'6"). For the adults, all I remember was First and Second Year Green (Working or Conformation), and Regular Working and Conformation. That was IT. No "children's", no "Adult's", no "Warmup", no "Schooling", no "Pre-Green". At some of the bigger shows there was a separate "Local" division, but they jumped 3'6" too.

The outside course was probably between 1/4 and 1/2 mile, taken at a "hunting pace"- i.e., a gallop. Fences I remember were post and rails (and a "closed" post and rail in-and-out), stone walls with riders, brush jumps which were living hedges, Aikens (used to scare us, but the horses loved them). Many courses had definite Uphill and Downhill sections.

When I started, everyone used flat tack, but by the early 70's rolled tack had become the fashion. Saddles had lots of knee rolls (suede), and often had thigh rolls too. The Stubben Siegfreid was the saddle of choice then, though the Hermes and various Crosbys became pupular in the 70s. I got a Passier All-Purpose for my 14th (I think) birthday, which I still have, and sometimes use, today.

Jumper classes started at 4', and speed classes were just coming into common use. Every show with jumpers had at least one "touch" class. I still rmember seeing Tony Ambrosio SENIOR before he figured out that GALLOPING between the fences (but going the LONG way) was NOT the way to get a fast time.

More later probably. I have to join a conference call.
      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I never showed because I was afraid at over 3'6. Went to lots of shows with friends who had horses that could do both hunters and jumpers, and I remember pretty much what Janet and PamM remember.

Does anybody remember moleskin breeches for men?

The first stretch breeches were just coming in when I quit riding, and they were Helanca from Switzerland. Everybody yearned for a Pariani FS saddle, and the Mexicans ruled the International Shows with Colonel Morales.

If you had a black Melton coat, it wasactually melton fabric, and it did have the button at the neck for holding the collar up in icy weather.

Custom boots were pretty much Dehners, and they lasted and lasted and lasted. Every town had a cobbler, so you could get your off the shelf boots customized, as someone else mentioned.'

You never saw an adult woman in anything except a derby hat, unless she had a top hat and sidesaddle.

People still staghunted with hounds, and lots of women rode sidesaddle for that.

Knock down and outs in the jumper classes. And fences in those classes that got REALLY, REALLY big. Time didn't count. A totally different style of riding for jumpers and hunters, and that was a NEW thing.

Don't remember any show horses that weren't either grade or TB. No warmbloods, no QH's.
        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I remember ooing and ahhing about it, the most expensive saddle on the market at the time (I'm pretty sure--at least in the catalogs it was) as $2500!

And as to Stueben's. Please! To this day, I still cringe at the extra padding the Seigfried (scuze the spelling, if it's wrong) needed in back so that the rider's leg wouldn't jut out in front like sitting in a chair. Comfy and secure, absolutely. Fostering a good position, egad!

And what about personalities? I've got two--no, three--for you:

Rodney Jenkins and Harry DeLeyer (the Galloping Grandfather). Oh, for the days when our stars had PERSONALITY!

The third? Tad Coffin (w/ Bruce coming in second and Conrad Homfeld in there, too, if only just for the record). Oh, those gorgeous blonds!

Horses? For me, it was Jet Run and Balbuco.

Sportponies Unlimited
          Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
          For more info, email: sportponies@horsecity.com
          Shameless signature plugplugplug.
          Sportponies Unlimited
          Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Comment

Or were those two the early eighties? I don't recall.

Oh, and the Professional Horseman's Association. I don't know why, except that my boss was pretty active in it, but it stands out in my mind as an important and very functional organization back then. I recall Gene Mische played a major role and I specifically remember how they'd take up collections or whatever if someone got injured or died.

Sportponies Unlimited
            Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
            For more info, email: sportponies@horsecity.com
            Shameless signature plugplugplug.
            Sportponies Unlimited
            Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Comment

late 70's---what a classic!!!!!!!!! (horse too, but i'm partial!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

The horse that won so much for Bruce was a beautiful mare named Kim's Song.

Comment

PamM, what a great picture - I don't remember your memory being so good!!

Kim's Song was indeed Bruce's nearly unbeatable A/O hunter - was anybody else at her retirement party during Washington? She was in her own little paddock (and own little world, due to being drugged to the gills) in the hotel while we all partied around her. It was a legendary party and Bruce was a terrific host.

All my other memories have been mentioned here as far as attire and tack - I once bought a beautiful racehorse bridle (double stitched) from Miller's and it was my pride and joy - it was so cool.

Laurie
                  Laurie

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wrong, ccoronios. I never had a velveteen hat in my life. My black hat didn't have the elastic thingie, but both my blue and brown ones DID.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected. I had only ever seen them on velveteen, although I do recall Kip's picture in George's first edition and it stands to reason she would have been wearing velvet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm still looking for a replacement to a rein I had in the 70's - plain rein w/ a raised front. I do not like laced.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After some freight train ripped the skin off 4 fingers with laced reins, I never rode in another pair. However, conditioned braided reins are wonderfully supple - but haven't looked for them in a million years..... I think I recall the ones you describe - sort of like a thin pencil line sewn on top of the rein to just about where a running martingale ring would be?
                    www.ayliprod.com
                    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Yep! It was a thing of beauty. It actually replaced the braided rein on my show bridle because it was 'slippery when wet'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                      'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
                      - Pablo Picasso

Comment

Yes, Under Saddle, Over Fences and Outside Course made up divisions, and the outside course had drop jumps!
                        "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RUXTON, RUXTON, RUXTON- my fave hunter of all times!!!Breeding anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By Abundance (Hanoverian) out of Nobody Much (TB).

Bred by Al Steiert (sp?). Abundance was one of the first warmblood stallions imported to this country. According to a friend of mine who worked for Al Abundance was so even tempered that you could drive him paired with a mare.

My friend rode Ruxton right after he was broken. You could call her fortunate but she said that he was pretty tough and prone to stopping. Goes to show you what some good professional rides can do for a horse.

Nina

Comment

Pam M you are on my track [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Duke of Paeonia. Like you not sure of the sp. What a grand horse, and have to admit loved Not Always too! Friends have a 33 milmeter of schooling at MSG in '61. It's GREAT! They were trying to have this put on video.

Remember those breeches well, you could stuff anything your heart desired in those flaps. How bout those black melton coats, or my personal fav the pinstriped summer coats with matching hunt cap.

Oh forgot, had a Pariani with forward cut knee rolls. We used real sheepskin saddle pads at home. Kept brushing them out with baby powder to keep them clean.

[This message was edited by wtywmn4 on Dec. 20, 2000 at 03:24 PM.]

Comment

What i meant about jumpers years ago, was that i don't remember the childrens, adults, junior/ a/o,low schooling, high schooling, modified, etc and so on that we have today. You're right, they did have the Open Jumper classes at Raleigh!
                              And, now that the old brain is functioning as it should (which on a good day leaves a lot to be desired...), i remember the entire family going to Charlotte for the Grand Prix they'd hold each year in one of the large football stadiums (which i'm sure has long since been torn down). The temporary stalls were across the road in a park, and the horses went thru a tunnel under a major thoroughfare to get to the ring.
                              And, my hero of then (and now) will always be Rodney Jenkins and Idle Dice.

Comment

Hunters I remember:
                                Aldie Belle (I was thrilled when, after I moved to Virginia, I drove through Aldie for the first time.)
                                Showdown (later Spindletop Showdown) There was a horse that dominated the sport.
                                Valhalla
                                Rome Dome

Another thing about shows, clases for each division were spread out throughout the day, e.g.,
                                Jr Hunters on the outside course
                                Large Ponies on the outside course,
                                Small Ponies on the outside course,
                                Jr Hunters under saddle on the outside course
                                Large Ponies under saddle on the outside course,
                                Small Ponies under saddle on the outside course,
                                Jr Hunters on the outside course
                                Large Ponies on the outside course,
                                Small Ponies on the outside course.

Back-to-back classes were UNHEARD of.

You had either twelve or thirteen braids, depending on whether you had a mare or a gelding.

You wore your hair in a hairnet, but NOT "put up" under the hard hat.

Unlike some of the others, I DO remember breeds other than TB (though TBs were definitely the most popular). There were quite a few QH and QH crosses - probably in part because Sunnyfield Farm had a QH breeding program aimed at the "English" disciplines. But these were QHs that looked like TBs, so you wouldn't know unless someone told you.

[This message was edited by Janet on Dec. 20, 2000 at 05:28 PM.]
                                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

In the 60s and early 70s:

You never saw horses with "color" in the show ring since hunters were expected to be Welsh (small ponies) Welsh/TB cross (large ponies) or Thoroughbreds and neither of those breeds came in colors like pinto, palomino, appaloosa, etc.

Hand gallop in every hack class I ever rode in. And you always jogged for soundness, even at the smallest shows.

Huge entries in the pony divisions. The first year my sister and I showed at Devon (no qualifying, you just entered and went)there were 72 large ponies. That led to a rule that if there were more than 50 entered, the division had to be split, which was great for us since we never had to show against each other at the A shows.

Speaking of which, shows were rated A,B,C and unrecognized. Even the biggest--Devon, MSG, Upperville, etc, were just plain A.

Does anyone else remember those wonderful long Island shows, North Shore (actually held on the shore, you could take your horse swimming in LI Sound if you wanted) and Piping Rock?

No qualifying for any shows anywhere, except MSG. The only year we showed there was '67 (last year in the old Garden, with the move the following year to the new Garden, the pony divisions were dropped.) You had to win one blue ribbon at an A show to qualify--though there were many fewer A shows then.

Lots of horses and ponies that weren't "right up to size" in their divisions and nobody cared. Hot Shot Kid and Keswick were two top large ponies who both measured 13.2. Aldie Belle, a fantastic working hunter, jumped 4' with Patty Heukeroth (sp?) and stood 15.1.

I love this topic!
                                  www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

My favorite ponies of the era (can you tell that's what I showed?)
                                    Large: Pride n' Joy (mine), -- I remember the pony. I must remember you!

Prim n' Proper,
                                    Thorwell,
                                    Rebel,
                                    Hot Shot Kid,-------Terry Rudd
                                    Rommel,
                                    Neat n' Tidy,
                                    Flying Mouse,
                                    Serendippity, -------Missy Leib
                                    Chimney Sweep.
                                    Small:
                                    Wizard of Oz, -------______ Burr

Highfield's Town and Country, -----Brooke Hodgson

Chantilly,---owned by Tanracken Farm. Ridden by Meta Boykin I think.

Squeaky,
                                    Midget, ---girl from Conn.
                                    Driftwood.
                                    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I saw Patty Heuckeroth at the KY Fall Classic this year--she was in for the Futurity--- and I looked and said "Patty, that horse looks like Aldie Belle." IT WAS her granddaughter!!!!!!

And other good old horses: Rome Dome (Kip Rosenthal) and her other WONDERFUL gray horse

Isgilde

General C (ridden By VHV)

Pikes Peak

Old Dominion

Cap and Gown

( Spindletop Showdown became just "Showdown" when he was bought byt he davies and moved to California and ridden by Linda Hough)

Which brings me to : Sutton Place

and Royal Blue (ridden by Bernie Traurig)

Anyone remeber Lisa Joy Rosen with her two matching horses (full brothers): except one was 14.2 and the other was 14.2 1/2. So she showed one in ponies and the other in junior.

SO MANY MEMORIES!

Funny story about flap front breeches: I stopped riding when I went to College and started again 10 years later. I went to Flintridge to try horses, and the ONLY breeches I had were Melton wool, flap fronts. I was SO embarrassed when I saw what every one else was wearing! I went straight to the Paddock tack shop and bought new breeches---but Anne Kursinski had seen me in those breeches. (She was a Junior) and lusted after them--she thought they were so cool! So I sold them to her. LOL -- little did she know that I would never have been caught dead in them again!
                                      "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Did anybody here show at the Garden in the Children's Hunters? Before they had junior hunters, the division was chidren's (or child's, maybe) hunters. It was 3'6" then!

Comment

These were the owners of the ponies when I was showing with/against them:

Prim 'n Proper: Deborah (Debbie) Bonwit Cahn
                                          Thorwell: Karen Nolte
                                          Rebel: Judy Korn
                                          Hot Shot Kid: Terry Rudd, then Susie Rudd
                                          Rommel: Betsy Snyder (my sister)
                                          Neat n' Tidy: James Hulick, then Gail Hulick
                                          Flying Mouse: Jane Leasure
                                          Chimney Sweep: Cindy Weiner

Wizard of Oz: Nancy & Susan Burr, owners. Puddy Jones, rider.
                                          Highfield's Town & County: Barbara Ulrichson, followed by Debbie Wolfe
                                          Chantilly: Waverly Farm, then Syndy Paul
                                          Squeaky: Syndy Paul
                                          Midget: Nancy Baroody, then Syndy Paul
                                          Driftwood: Gail Hulick, then Syndy Paul

All of the above except Thorwell, Neat n' Tidy, Flying Mouse, and Wizard were at the barn where I rode, All Around Farm in Gwynedd Valley, PA with Junie Kulp.
                                          www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X