• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about cordovan boots, newmarket boots, velvet choakers to match the collar (velvet) on your hunt coat...horse braids in the color of the hunt coat...long(ish) hunt coats...flat tack, rolled tack, double bridles on the working horses...oh my..what about "hogs back" jumps, aikens, side diagonal side in the jumper(!!!) classes... touch classes...wow...I am OLD.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

Does anyone remember "bib britches" that had a flap in the front that had a ton of buttons. My sister got a pair as hand me downs and we thought they were so cool. Of course, they were canary color.

My first outfit came from Bevels and Bev himself tried to get my father to buy me a brown hard hat (as they were called then) to go with my blue coat and rust jodphurs! The collar would have had to be brown velvet on the coat too. Would have looked just spiffy with the maroon lining!

Comment

All of these - great reading!!!!

Canary Yellow or Rust breeches or even JODHPURS! - Harry Hall Remember the heel elastic to keep em down in your boot?
        I remember Pytchley jackets with velvet collars
        Brown field boots that matched your brown helmet
        No A/A or A/O
        Working Hunters
        Pleasure Hunters
        Conformation Hunters
        Ladies Classic on the flat - sidesaddle class!
        Stubben Seigfried saddles
        Polo wraps? What polo wraps?
        Flat tack
        Hooflex
        Absorbine
        No $5.00 ring
        Prize Money A show: $25, 20, 15, 10, 5
        Ribbons to fifth
        Goldy-brown bell boots only
        Double Bridles in all hunters
        No chaps
        Elastic chin straps - no harness in the show ring

Boy those where the days.

Comment

Heh-heh-heh, road trippin down memory lane...

When I first started showing (1973, the old McDonough School Horse Show) the style was: hunt coat with velvet collar, velvet hunt cap sans elastic thingie (often the hunt cap was green or brown), rust or grey Harry Halls, shirts with those contrasting floral collars (yeck), brown field boots or black dress boots. Rolled tack was de rigeur for hunters. Many horse shows still had outside courses. I still recall doing the Hunt Teams class at the McDonough show with 2 other girls from Oldfields. It was so cool! And its true, there weren't any divisions lower than 3 feet. There was no medium pony division, just small and large. And God forbid, we didn't count strides!

I also remember showing at the Middleburg National when it was held at Foxcroft, on the grass. Got my first A show ribbon there.

Winning horses during the 70s -- God, there are too many to even remember, but the stand outs were:

Early Light, Touch the Sun (late 70s or early 80s), Ruxton, Rivet, Vim, Vital Victory, War Dress, San Felipe, and what was that horse owned by Bruce Duchossois?

Ponies: Even Gamble, Shendandoah Opal, Easter Sunday, Dresden, Dressing Drink, Snow Goose, Gina-Dee, Miles River Moonglow, Checkmate, Imari, Farnley Sir Roger, Farnley Nimble.

Anyone from Virginia remember the ponies Farnley Flint, Almost April and a black pony owned by Mo Dana and Mrs. Dillon that won everything in the late 60's or early 70s?

Comment

Yes - velvet on the jacket coller, L.Hunt bridles, Phase V (from The Saddle Shop/Bernie Cohan), Hartly Apollo & Hermes flat saddles, velvet hunt caps which came without any elastic/chin stuff, Harry Hall britches, TBs were THE ONLY horses to have, outside courses were REALLY outside courses (solid natural jumps, big and long courses). Ohhh....those were the days!

Comment

I loved Ruxton!!!! Saw him in the working hunters at the Garden in the early 70s. What an amazing horse!

I had canary breeches, a hunt coat with a velvet color, cordovan field boots, a Prix des Nations saddle, hunt cap with elastic that I didn't wear under my chin, velvet chokers, stock pins, etc. Also had grey Harry Halls, hunt coat with gold buttons, etc. The outside course at Fairfield was my favorite.

The brown field boots still sit in my closet waiting for a comeback....

Comment

Just reading all your posts bring back wonderful, fond memories.

Remember Belvoir Saddle Soap bars for 25 cents?

The madras plaid jackets, the drop-front breeches(someone previously called them 'bib')canary and tan full flare (non-stretch) gabardine breeches followed by a sensible rust. If you did wear black boots they HAD to have the patent leather cuffs. The old forward seat saddles even before Stubben Sigfrieds. My first Sigfried was $250 new! Marlboro boots for about $28. Newmarket boots.

The open shows were dominated by Saddleseat and Western. The few hunter classes would be hunter hack with a mandatory handgallop and 2 fences (usually at least 3' and more often 3'6"). If you showed hunter hack, you couldn't show english pleasure(I remember a bunch of us rebelled and showed up in western pleasure!). Open jumping fences started at 4' and jumpoffs were raised to 4'6'-5' and timed (if the show committee could find a stop watch!). That was as low as they got. Certainly no place for a green horse/rider combo to start out. And I'll bet a lot of us posters started there!!!

Very few tack shops. Miller's, Kaufmans, Deluxe Saddlery and a few more had catalogs that were our bibles.

Anyone remember when dressage shows were dominated by tb and everyone who didn't have a tb, complained that that was all the judges ever picked. Very few warmbloods and what there were were mostly trakeners(sp?).

Gosh, I could go on forever. How lucky the young riders are today with all the safety equipment, lovely low jumping classes to start out with, stretch breeches that (usually) don't split in the crotch.

One thing I will say tho that to watch a hunter class with their navy coats and tan or whatever color breeches they wear is sooooo incredibly boring. No flair, individuality, color. But one must go along with the crowd.

Many thanks to ErinB who started this thread which allowed us 'oldies but goodies' to remember the good old days.

msj
                Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one to have canary breeches. Apparently not! Does anyone remeber the "robin's egg blue" breeches?
                  And, boots had that little leather strap on the top of them that you buckled and then tucked inside the boot. (Wonder why Vogel doesn't offer that?!?)
                  Obviously, you wore jodphurs if you rode a pony, and you made sure that your chocker pin was on straight before you went into the ring. If it was muddy on your outside course, you did a mudknot. You're right... none of that counting strides business, you either saw your spot or you found another, less gracefull way to get over the fence!
                  In NC, the Raleigh show was held at Dorton Arena (this was in like 1980 or so, before the new facility), and there were always a bunch of birds swooping around.
                  i really don't recall any jumper classes to speak of, either. Ponies did their heights, and large and small juniors did 3'6", no questions asked, and very few other options were there.
                  Maybe it was just me, but our horses would gallop over the courses, but then again, like somebody said, they'd been hunting a few days prior to showing, so they were used to it!

Comment

it's neat to see how much showing has changed! I wonder what everyone will think when in like 30 years us juniors will be talking about the '90s like this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sarah
                    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
                    unless it breaks your heart first

Comment

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered Deluxe Saddlery. I actually tracked these people down while on a horse buying trip to Baltimore 25 years ago.

And, Specks, you must not be quite as old as I am because, in the beginning, there were Open Jumpers at the Raleigh show (which at that time referred to the Lions Club show, a multi-breed show. The horse arena just doesn't have the ambience that Dorton did.
                      'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
                      - Pablo Picasso

Comment

but what about colored yarn and pom-pom's for the ponies??? Yes, I was six, and there wasn't anything else over jumps less than 3'!!!!

Comment

but what about colored yarn and pom-pom's for the ponies??? Yes, I was six, and there wasn't anything else over jumps less than 3'!!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...799&p=31116076

Sorry, souldn't get it into a different file!!!!

Comment

Ahhh, Stubben.

I still have a Stubben Tristan saddle that I bought donkey's years ago used from a woman in my boarding establishment who thought her riding would be improved if she bought a more expensive saddle. It is a Stubben that was actually made in Germany. Although it is a dressage model, I have jumped at least four feet many times in it. I will never part with it.

I also had the kind of britches that had to go to the dry cleaners every time they were worn.

Comment

I have a picture of me at the Tralee horse show with my black pony braided in this hideous yellow yarn. Oh Lord, the 70's were not a stylish time....

Still have my Crosby Prix de Nations -- wouldn't ride in anything else!

Jumpsalot -- are you still in touch with the Welles family? Ellen has one of my ponies!

Comment

madras jackets - yup - my first - blue plaid
                                button-front breeches - yup - in fawn worsted
                                colored braids - yup - in stable colors
                                outside courses - yup - gallop 'n' go - and in-and-outs set 1 for horses and 1 for ponies and the smalls were allowed to take 2, since they were set for larges
                                colored hats - yup - never had one (although my black faded so that everyone thought it was brown 20 years later when I was still wearing it!) - REALLY wanted a hunter green one - one young woman in KY made her own (recovered black ones - had every color in the book! - I was so jealous!)
                                rolled bridles - didn't like 'em - I did same as someone else mentioned - bought a saddlebred bridle and used that, but replaced the rein with a braided (not laced!)
                                regulation heights!!! - yup - see head nodding vigourously with "if you couldn't do the height, you stayed home 'til you learned how"
                                FUN - YUP - see head nodding even more vigourously in agreement with need for more fun and more breaks
                                division classes split up throughout day/show - YUP - this is a necessity if we're to attract spectators
                                elastic hat bands - I believe these were ONLY on the velveteen hats - I never saw a velvet one with them unless they were put in by hand
                                Marlborough boots - in the $25 range - all my students bought them, wore them just enough to start breaking them in, then we took them to the shoeman who took them in a little in the lower leg and added a plain (NOT PATENT) cuff - and voila - custom boots for $35 max.
                                Jumper ring - there sure were jumpers on LI - Neal and Uncle Max, Danny and Little Scubbie, Harry & Snowman, Riviera Wonder, Windsor Castle, Ira and "the carat horses" - and tons of others I can't remember now
                                A/Os - that got pinned for getting around in reasonable style while managing to keep their owners on board

so much fun...... aren't memories wonderful?
                                www.ayliprod.com
                                Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Great picture, PamM!

Note, no saddle pad, no stirrup pads, probably a sewn in bridle!

Also note the near perfect line of the automatic release!

Loved those tweed jackets with the belvet collars - loved the velvet collars on the formal jackets, too! Velvet collars are coming back in abroad - or never went out, perhaps.

Ties - if you didn't have a choker and didn't want to wear a stock. I had some wonderful ties!
                                  co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

Wrong, ccoronios. I never had a velveteen hat in my life. My black hat didn't have the elastic thingie, but both my blue and brown ones DID.

I, too, used to get the saddle horse bridles and reins because they were skinnier. I'm still looking for a replacement to a rein I had in the 70's - plain rein w/ a raised front. I do not like laced.
                                    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
                                    - Pablo Picasso

Comment

From when I was showing in the late 60's through the mid-70's....
                                      madras and floral chokers
                                      striped shirts
                                      coats in all different colors and materials, including plaid
                                      rust and canary breeches
                                      Custom Dehner brown field boots and black dress boots
                                      Pariani saddles
                                      Rolled bridles
                                      Helmets without headgear
                                      Never riding with a helmet unless I was showing (NOT a good thing, looking back on it now...) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
                                      Custom shirts from C.O. Gooding -- anyone else remember those??
                                      Big outside hunter courses
                                      Hunter team classes
                                      Appointment classes
                                      Never jumping a fence lower than 3'6" in competition during my show career
                                      Juniors and Amateur/Owners competing successfully in Green and Open Working Hunter classes - they weren't the exclusive domain of the pros way back when
                                      Open Working Hunter classes that exceeded 4' in heighth
                                      Open Working and Conformation classes with way more than the now typical 3-5 entrants, same with Green Conformation, and 1st and 2nd year Green Working
                                      Automatic releases
                                      Bridle Path Hack and English Pleasure classes
                                      Table I touch/rub classes for the jumpers
                                      Lots of TB's (many OTTTB's), Warmbloods almost nonexistent
                                      No baby green hunters, pre-green hunters, short and long stirrup, children's hunters, etc.,in recognized shows
                                      Nice silver trophies, often times presented by little kids, beauty queens or Boy Scouts (I have the pictures to prove it!)
                                      Braiding our own horses, with overalls put on over our show clothes
                                      Fun exhibitors parties

[This message was edited by dublin on Dec. 20, 2000 at 12:02 PM.]
                                      In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
                                      ~~~~~
                                      \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
                                      *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Comment

I started showing in 1965.

Ringside parking at every show (even Devon!) and when the shows ran late--no lighted rings--management asked the cars to turn on their headlights.

The must-haves then: Stubben Siegfied Saddle (usually worn with no pad at all); custom made bridles from England; flared gabardine breeches which soon gave way to fitted Harry Halls, canary usually, occasionally rust; Vogel boots with patent leather boot tops; NO shadbellys on children ever ever; ratcatcher shirts with contrasting chokers; and yes, I had a madras hunt coat, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Grooms that came from Ireland and knew everything. What a luxury that seems like now.

Small and large ponies only, heights at 2'6" and 3". Outside courses at almost every show, often with real stone walls. Courses that always began with a brush jump. Appointments classes that required hunting crop, sandwich case, and string gloves tucked under the girth (even on ponies.) Divisions that had either four classes (three over fences and hack) or five (including a model) and that was ALL you did--no schooling classes, long stirrup, warm-ups, low hunters, etc.

My favorite ponies of the era (can you tell that's what I showed?) Large: Pride n' Joy (mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ), Prim n' Proper, Thorwell, Rebel, Hot Shot Kid, Rommel, Neat n' Tidy, Flying Mouse, Serendippity, Chimney Sweep. Small: Wizard of Oz, Highfield's Town and Country, Chantilly, Squeaky, Midget, Driftwood.

Wow, this brings back memories.
                                        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

What fun to know that there are more people than just me that misses the outside courses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I still don't count strides (except for an in and out) and use my eye and feel to get to the right spot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tralee was the BEST! I think she still runs the shows in the summer and WITH the outside course. Last I saw her a couple years ago we were following Casanova Hunt in a car. Other than drooling over her old show hunter pictures we got to talking about showing in general. She said that she hated to see the outside courses go and whether people like it or not, she is still keeping hers. If you don't like it, don't ride there was her philosophy. I love it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Oh, yes, colored yarn and pom-poms! Velvet collars, rust jods and flat bridles. I still like a nice flat bridle in a thinner look than the hunt bridle. I also love the real sewn in bit and reins.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                                          Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
                                          Takaupas Top Gold
                                          Gifts Black Gold Knight

Comment

Working...
                                          X