• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dog Park Etiquette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Live Harris-Teeters... and Harry's Farmer's Market! I know what you mean about totally strange names... Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie (was there like a Mr. Winn who loved Dixie?)... but I do think the Jitney Jungle may have to just win the contest, especially since I am not sure what jitneys have to do with groceries?

Oh, I have consulted several wine experts and they strongly recommend a Georgian red wine, preferably a 2000 Chateau Elan Grapee du Clay...
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Chateau Elan...good call. I was thinking a Biltmore label, but it's not worth the $32 to get into the winery.

Comment

I love Jeb. Jeb makes me laugh.

Jeb, have you ever stopped to think that really, these people should be worrying about gaining your acceptance versus you and Lou Lou gaining theirs? Do you really want to be confused with those who shop at Sam's Club? And how would Lou Lou really look bounding around in the back of one of those gawdawful Chrysler vans? Jeb, something tells me you and Lou Lou enjoy a nice bottle of Dom over Chardonnay anyday. Darling, don't mingle with the commoners. You and Lou Lou just start your own little circle...something tells me, you've already got that goin' on, honey.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeb:
          Chateau Elan...good call. I was thinking a Biltmore label, but it's not worth the $32 to get into the winery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Plus, let's face it, Chateau Elan has a MUCH higher quality of clay for the rare Grapee du Clay vintage. However, if you choose to spring for the Biltmore brand, I will be happy to smuggle you in with my annual pass.

Comment

DMK - you are just so well read on so many things, aren't you? Let's see, I have gone to you on advice on my OTTB and now, when I throw my little fete for the girls, I can give you a call for ideas for the wine list. I love this board!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

Jeb, I applaude you for what I believe may well be the first mention of the Trilateral Commission on this BB. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If only Loulou were male and had gone to Yale, he might have had the honor of being in Skull & Bones. However, I believe her status as a Kappa sister (or was she perhaps a Theta or Tri-Delt?), with it's virtual guarantee of eventual full membership in the Junior League, should be enough to give her entree to the correct places. Perhaps she just needs to do some fashionable charity work -- maybe throw a Tea to raise awareness of the need for new landscaping at the Civic Center?

[This message has been edited by Portia (edited 10-12-2000).]
              "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Anyplace: thanks for the moral support. Yeah, who needs those clay-eating backyarders anyhow? LOL Feel free to come for Mardi Gras and we'll pelt them with beads and doubloons!

Portia: I lived near Houston back when Carolyn Farb took that exact track! From Neiman's clerk to River Oaks in how many steps? Tried and true. Oh, and Loulou was a definite Chi Omega - triple legacy on her maternal side, don't ya know!

Right now, we are BOTH attempting to learn more about the horrible plight of the Baby Quiches. More on this later.

[This message has been edited by Jeb (edited 10-12-2000).]

Comment

Perhaps she just needs to do some fashionable charity work -- maybe throw a Tea to raise awareness of the need for new landscaping at the Civic Center?

Could LouLou not take on the plight of those poor baby quiches? It just breaks my heart to think of those poor quivering little cheeslets, wrenched away from their families. Might I suggest a Million Quiche March?
                  Proud adopter of Win
                  http://www.defhr.org
                  Days End Farm Horse Rescue
                  Protection for Horses - Education for People

Comment

• Original Poster

Headlines from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "Million Quiche March Dwindles; Crosses Into Buckhead on Sunday Morning as Angry Brunchers Rallied a Counter-Protest; Hundreds Feared Eaten"

Nah...I couldn't have that on my conscience.

Comment

Have a little fun! Bring a load of road apples, let the pooches munch away, and when it is all gone, tell the ladies what road apples really are!
                      Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

Fear not, Jeb!!! I can assure you the AJC would NEVER take on so controversial of a topic!!!

Oh, but I'm not sure you can handle the plight of baby quiches... the horror of their little, tiny shrieks as they are seperated from their loving parents, the quiet sobs of the loving mother quiches. And the transportation conditions! Did you know that those trucks are kept at just above freezing?! Have you ever heard of anything so awful? And we won't even go into the fact that they are considered a "microwaveable" food...

Comment

LOL, I haven't laughed this hard in a VERY long time, ya'll are just too funny.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Keep it up! Keep it up!

I'm curious to know if the Junior Quiche Protection Society has a Constitution and Bill of Rights, and if it includes anything about all being created equal unless frozen....?

However, I am not nearly as entertaining as everyone else, so I shall not continue. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well Jeb, we'll just have to call it the . . .

Boxer Rebellion! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 10-12-2000).]
                            Proud adopter of Win
                            http://www.defhr.org
                            Days End Farm Horse Rescue
                            Protection for Horses - Education for People

Comment

Did you know that the '80's slogan "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" was an early front for the Quiche Protection movement?

One must wonder if all those who claim that terrorizing poor little quiches in the name of "interesting hors d'oeuvres" or "fabulous finger food" have any idea of the devastating effect such early removal from one's parents really has on such a young morsel.

For heavens sake, lets put a stop to such a horror - write your Congressman, get the Junior League to take them out of their cook-books - do they even understand the terror they propogate with such things?

Comment

We have a newly opened dog park in out area...went there ( for the 3rd time) on Monday, and was confronted with a lady with a strange haircut and mustache who asked everyone that came in "Is this your first time ?" hmmmnnnn....first time doing WHAT? exactly, lol. Then this other woman says, with fear in her voice, "Oh, is that a Doberman?" ummmm, no, its a german shorthair, and they look NOTHING alike. i wish somebody WOULD bring the Kendall- Jackson, although with the hangover i got from chardonnay on friday maybe thats not such a good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                                ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeb:

Actually, this neighborhood is really great! It is in a "hysterical district" and all the houses are old and mostly renovated.

The dog park is on the levee, right by the banks of the mighty Mississippi. Just across the river is downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooo, you're right across the river from one of my favorite cities in the world!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ah, it's nice to read a funny, relaxed thread for a change. Are you planning on going back to the dog park? keep us posted!
                                  "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Comment

Hey, all, I would urge you to be very careful in expressing further negative sentiments regarding the treatment of the baby quiche. Sure, sure, we all agree that reform is necessary, but I am concerned that continued discussion could lead to intervention by PETF. (You know, People for the Ethical Treatment of Fromage.)

[This message has been edited by LucianCephus (edited 10-13-2000).]

Comment

Jeb, I had a thought - maybe you could print the "horse poo eating canine" thread and give it out at your next "park meeting" - might be kind of an interesting ice breaker, don't you think?!

Comment

• Original Poster

Urchin - too funny!! LOL I think the poo-eaters should all storm the Dog Park! Let 'em eat quiche!!

Did show up to the Dog Park last evening. The coven must have broken up early in order to prepare for the rising full moon last night, so it wasn't as busy. Maybe Sprawl-Mart was having a sale on Sam's Choice Box-O-Merlot and I didn't know it.

Comment

Where's Colin? I just know she and perfect Felix would fit right in!!! (Complete with cinnamon buns over her ears a la Princess Leah!) And, of course, it goes without saying that Perfect Pepper would too!!! I think we need to find one closer to home though. . .sigh. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 10-13-2000).]
                                          \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Comment

Working...
                                          X