• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Dated" riders - new thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great picture Weatherford, which one is you??

Bold Minstrel did it all didn't he? I wonder how Billy Haggard is doing....anyone know? Nicest kindest horseman...

Comment

He was one of the first "real" horsemen we (my sister and I) rubbed elbows with. Caroline still teaches out at Coto; sat with her at the last GM clinic at the Oaks and we humorously mused why about a dozen clueless locals we could list weren't there, at least being exposed to some sort of method... any method... of horsemanship. Oh well...

Yes, lauriep, the days of schooling in barn aisles! My sister (Beezer) and I rode with Bob McDonald for years and the classic time was at Indio (Date Festival era) and Bob's barn was in the rows of palm trees. He put up his port-o-jump and felt compelled to decorate it, to sharpen up our horses before going in the ring. One time I turned back down the aisle at the canter, and Bob had pulled the aluminum foil off his sandwich and hung it on the pole! Yee-haw! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

And for the racetrack display, well, at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds there used to be a big arena on the grass of the infield. My sister decides she's going to "work off a little steam" from her AQHA gelding (17+ hands), so she traipses out to the track kind of tagging behind the last of the REAL fair track racehorses out for their morning works. A bit later, I'm tootling around, getting ready for the a.m. classes, and I hear this "thunder of hooves" and look up to see my sister and her--- hunter?--- breezing a furlong past the amazed racetrack people. What a sight to behold. I guess it worked as well as lungeing him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I LOVE that picture!

Comment

BUMPKIN: Beezer and I didn't ride in the same barn as Gigi Gaston; she rode at Flintridge, where our trainer used to be an assistant (in more ways than one to Jimmy, if you get my drift, ahem). Gigi was a totally spoiled rich kid (Getty oil), but she just cracked me up! Something was always a tad askew with her. We rode in the same divisions, so you know how you start hanging out with your competitors, as long as they're not complete snobs/idiots? Anyway, I can't remember most of her horses, since they came and went so quickly, except her palomino pony, Lemon Drop.

But the best Gigi story came from Bob Hubbard, the commercial horse hauler. One day I was talking about kids I grew up riding with, and he told about how he hauled Gigi's string of horses back east with Flintridge (I assume along with Francie Steinwedell at that era) and Bob's comment was that Gigi and her mom were constantly embroiled in a fashion emergency, because Gigi absolutely could NOT wear the same coat/shirt/outfit more than once during a multi-day show. She just couldn't be seen in the same coat more than once. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

And we wonder how we became so hung up on monograms and show bows and rust breeches? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I want the plaid huntcoat!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Cactus! i know this is a reply to a post on the first page but about the Oregon State Fair, most of the barns that actually do the A circuit don't go there anymore. too tired of them losing entries, or holding jumper classes at 7:00 am when no one is watching, and miniture ponies in hand at noon when people want to watch, etc. just wondering, but did you used to ride in OR or something? who did you ride w/?

Comment

I love those baggy breeches and is that your pony club thing on your hat?

Comment

Me on the right - the baggy breeches were white cotton with a bib front and buttons at the knees that I inherited from a friend of my mom's. (The woman who had once owned them moved West and founded the Museum of the Horse (Cowboy?) out in AZ or NM). The pony I am on is the one that was CONSTANTLY carded, even though he was only 14.1 with shoes & heels!

Would it be fun if we all just plain started wearing plaid coats and velvet collars again? (Not that I ever had either, but....) Or at least follow the European trend of dark shirts with white collars & cuffs - ties or chokers.

Bet you, if you were neat and had a nice horse, the judges wouldn't even notice - or if they were old timers (like us) they would applaud!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                  co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

This is the First Prize winner of the Horsemanship Class at the Spring Valley Horse Show, 1929. (age 12 or 13).

Can you see the resemblance? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What about that attire?
                    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

still lives in NC and was paralyzed in an accident a few years ago. I haven't seen him since I was about 12, but one of out NC'ians posted about him last year. (Search doesn't seem to want to find the thread - sorry.)

Comment

Weatherford, love the 1929 picture! What resemblance? Is that a relative?
                        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

My Dad.

We even got him foxhunting with us when I was growing up - which was pretty darned brave of him considering he had had a horrendous head injury and had terrible balance and other problems that plagued him til he died.

I still have that trophy, too.

Here is another picture of an outside course - about 1969. Not one of the good courses - have to find those somewhere!

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Jan. 06, 2001 at 11:31 AM.]

Comment

Does anyone remember the Virginia State Horse Show that used to go on during the fair in Richmond? What a great show it was. It had all breeds there, including the walking horses, draft horses and western events. Jumper classes were at night and drew tremendous crowds! It was a great turnout every year and I'm not sure why it's no longer there. Wow, does that bring back some fond memories.

Comment

You guys are having too much fun!

I may have to get a scanner as a late Christmas present. I have some similar pictures from that era of my mother showing, and we still use some of the trophies at holiday meals (trays, pitchers, etc.). Those were the days when they knew how to give out prizes.

Between those pictures and ones of my cat, the scanner would get plenty of use.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Jumper classes were at night and drew tremendous crowds"-spfarm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... Maybe we're missing an opportunity again? It seems the evening performances at the Del Mar Fair and Cal State Fair always had large crowds,too in the grandstands. A captive audience! I'm not sure of the logistics, but why aren't more shows held during county/state fairs anymore? We're always complaining about getting spectators and new blood into our "sport". Maybe we should go back to this earlier form of entertainment?

Comment

At the New York State Fair, there is a very diverse horse show with the whole variety pack of divisions. For years, very few h/j people would attend, largely because of the logistics- parking, security, crowds. It seemed there would always be a "fair family" (parents, screaming toddlers, baby stroller with balloons attached) underfoot as you were getting ready to show. There were also time constraints due to the huge number of divisions running in one ring.

Now they have built another ring near the edge of the fairgrounds which is much quieter since it's off the beaten path, and that's where the h/j divisions show. Huge improvement, which is reflected by the number of entries. There are still spectators, and kids who show can still wander over to the fair for entertainment, but it's not quite as mind-boggling for the hunters. There are some horses who find the ferris wheel distracting, but it feels much more like a normal show now. (But if you bring a young horse, be sure to pack your sense of humor.) The idea of a large crowd of spectators may sound like a good thing, but the reality can be problematic.

(Kudos to Naomi Blumenthal, the show manager, who does a great job there!)

[This message was edited by MHM on Jan. 06, 2001 at 07:39 PM.]

Comment

I love the way you can see the smaller brush box in the background. Remember when outside courses would have three panels, one for small ponies, one for large ponies and one for horses? The jumps never had to be reset. You just went out and jumped your height.
                                    www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

At one show (in North Salem) my horse swerved on the last stride, and took the pony side of the fence. I was sure I had been eliminated, but apparently it didn't show from where the judge was sitting, because I got third. I have a picture of me and him, with the ribbon, and he has his mouth open as if he is laughing.
                                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Okay, here's my outside course photo from 1969, Fairfield Horse Show. (Please overlook the riding style, I was 16, still on a large pony and trying to look small [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
                                        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

Merry, have you seen Bob recently? He's still just like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] only slightly mellower. His wife won Gold in the Dressage, so we plastered her picture all over the show grounds last year, while he was there. He was whinning he just couldn't get away anymore, but enjoyed it immensely. It was quite an acomplishment. He's a great horseman.

Weatherford, there is a striking resemblance!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                          X