• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Where is Willem? [Now complete with Apple Sorbet and Cinnamon Ice Cream Recipes]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh now Coreene how could you deny him the machine now with TWO yummy sounding apple recipes right there.

Or perhaps you will just have to make some and take it to his house the old way.

I have never heard of apple sorbet, sounds wonderful!

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Procrastinate NOW
    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Green apple sorbet is VERY yummy & quite refreshing in the summer. I always make it with Granny Smith apples that have a slightly sour kick to them; great with a scoop of lemon sorbet with it. It's one of my favorite recipes, although cinnamon ice cream is the stuff I could eat all day!

I loff my ice cream maker, I can try out bizarre ice cream recipes all the time ... apple butter ice cream is suprisingly good, as is Earl Grey tea ice cream. yum yum!

'O lente, lente currite noctis equi' - Ovid

Comment

Anyone else think Albion should post her yummy sounding recipes so we can test them out and make sure they're suitable for equine consumption?

Comment

Delyth, I'd love to, but I'm afraid the moderators might think it a little too off topic.

If the 'higher ups' don't mind, I'd be happy to share!

Comment

this 'higher up' really wants the green apple and cinnamon recipes please!
            Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Comment

Wellllll. After great deliberation and much thought -- and a few hungry tummy rumbles at the thought of all this delicious sounding stuff, it has been decided that Albion should post her recipes, green apple, green tea and cinnamon all sound wonderful!

---------------------------
              This too, shall pass.
              If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
              Desmond Tutu

Comment

Ok, I'll start with the mildy-horse related apple recipes. I can't find my green apple ICE CREAM recipe, but I DO have a good green apple GELATO recipe. All these recipes can be modified to taste ... and extra ingredients can be added/substituted. I have a Cuisinart 1 QT ice cream machine. These will work with any ice cream machine, but depending on the size of the bowl, you might have to make more than one batch.

Apple Sorbet:

3/4 cup sugar
                1 cup clear unsweetened apple juice
                4 green apples (ones that are quite tart work best)
                Juice of 2 limes

Combine the sugar & apple juice in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves & the syrup is clear. Remove from the heat & cool to room temperature (I usually stick it in the fridge for a bit)

Peel & core the apples. Roughly chop the fruit & place in a blencder with cool syrup and lime juice. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Freeze in 1 or 2 batches (depending on the size of your machine) according to the manufacturer's directions. It comes out soft, but ready to eat. I prefer slightly firmer sorbet, so I transfer the finished product to plastic containers & stick it in the freezer until it firms up.

*chardonnay can be substituted for the apple juice.

Cinnamon Ice Cream:

I've tried a bunch of different recipes for cinnamon ice cream, and this is by far my favorite. Great on pies & stuff, it's REALLY good plain. If you're health conscious, you can replace the heavy cream with whole milk, but I make no guarentees about the finished product

1 cup milk
                3 heaping tablespoons of cinnamon (more to taste, I usually use about 5. I like my cinnamon ice cream VERY cinnamon-y)
                3/4 cup sugar
                6 large egg yolks
                2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
                1/4 teaspoon salt
                1 cup half-and-half
                1 cup heavy cream

Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon, cover, and set aside to steep for 15 minutes.

Beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour and salt. Set aside.

At this point, you can strain the milk if you want to. I usually don't, just make sure the cinnamon hasn't clumped up - if it has, just mix it around until it seperates. Add the half-and-half and return to a simmer over low heat. Slowly beat the hot milk and half-and-half into the egg yolks and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil as the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & pour cinnamon custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *I usually do an ice bath, where you fill a larger bowl with water and ice & plunk the other bowl (with the mixture) into it. Throw it in the fridge & it should cool off pretty quickly.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches according to the manufacturer's directions. I usually sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon when it starts to firm up in the machine. This ice cream is VERY thick and creamy. It is soft but ready to eat when it's done, but (once again) I usually transfer it to the freezer & let it firm up a bit.

Earl Grey ice cream:

The recipe is the same as the Cinnamon ice cream recipe, but with tea instead of cinnamon. I would recommend using 3 heaping teaspoons of loose tea or 5 or 6 tea bags. Straining is, of course, mandatory if you're using loose tea. If you decide to use a 'sweeter' type of tea (like Darjeeling), I would halve the amount of tea you steep in the milk. I tried Darjeeling using the above recipe & the stuff came out WAY too sweet.

I need to find my Apple Gelato recipe, but I will post it soon!

Comment

wats OT day ?

~*~When they pased out brains...I WAS AT A HORSE SHOW!!!~*~
                  ~*~When they pased out brains...I WAS AT A HORSE SHOW!!!~*~

Comment

Riley- Ot day is off topic day, we had one last Fri. Where the mods let you post anything you want and they dont have to be horse related.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ifihadwords4u
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/ifihadwords4u

Comment

Ok, I found the apple gelato recipe. For your enjoyment, I will ALSO post my peanut butter ice cream recipe (it's REALLY good ... sounds bizarre, but it's yummy!). My ponies always like peanut butter, maybe Willem does too

This makes several batches for my ice cream maker. I usually halve the recipe, unless we're having apple tarts or something like that for a LOT of people. I've also found this one to be hit-or-miss with me, but when it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's bad ... it's still ok.

Apple Gelato:

12 ripe Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
                      1/4 cup sugar
                      Juice of 2 lemons
                      1 cup milk
                      2 cups heavy cream
                      1/2 cup sugar
                      3/4 cup egg yolks
                      1/2 cup corn syrup

Cut up apples into 1/2 inch pieces. They should measure 3 cups. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 c. sugar and lemon. Cook over medium heat until tender. Blend until smooth, strain, and chill in ice bath.

Heat cream and milk in saucepan with 1/2 c. sugar. Whisk yolks separately with some of the hot cream mixture. Add back into saucepan and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Again, DO NOT let it boil! Strain through fine sieve. Add corn syrup. Chill in ice bath. Combine with apple puree & freeze according to manufactuer's directions. Again, if you desire firmer ice cream, stick it in the freezer before serving.

Apple Butter Ice Cream:

The unsweetened, unspiced stuff works best, but I have used generic spiced apple butter to fine results.

1 cup sugar
                      2 large eggs
                      2 large egg yolks
                      2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
                      2 cups light cream
                      1 1/2 cups unsweetened, unspiced apple butter
                      1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat the sugar into the eggs and egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour. Set aside.

Bring the light cream to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Slowly beat the hot cream into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Again, DO NOT let the mixture boil, or the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & whisk in the apple butter and cinnamon. Pour the hot apple butter custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until cold. *Again, you can use an ice bath for the mix instead.

Stir the chilled custard & freeze in machine according to the manufactuere's instructions. If you'd like firmer ice cream, transfer to the freezer.

A fun way to serve it: Hollow out an apple and fill with apple butter ice cream. Sprinkle on some cinnamon & serve.

Finally, one of my favorites, Peanut Butter Ice Cream:

Use creamy peanut butter - reduced fat, chunky, or homemade doesn't work as well. If you like crunchy peanut butter, throw in a handful of chopped peanuts to the mix when it is semi-frozen in the machine.

3/4 cup sugar
                      3 large eggs
                      1 cup milk
                      1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
                      1 1/2 cups heavy cream
                      2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.

Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan & place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil! Remove from the heat & beat in the peanut butter. Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the peanut butter custard to cool slightly. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *Again, I just use an ice bath.

Stir the chilled custard, the freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you want firmer ice cream, transfer it to the freezer.

Albion's favorite version: add 1/2 cup (at least!) of miniature chocolate chips to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen. Continue with the recipe as directed.

Several of these recipes came from my favorite ice cream cookbook, 'The Ultimate Ice Cream Book' by Bruce Weinstein. He's got a LOT of cool recipes with tons of variations. I now have my favorite ice cream 'base' from which I build off of. I highly recommend the book for anyone who wants good recipes that turn out well - from plain vanilla to corn ice cream (haven't tried that one & don't plan on it although the author swears it's delicious)

If anyone would like anymore recipes, I have some killer sorbet recipes (lemon blackberry sorbet is one of my faves). You're welcome to e-mail me!

Comment

bump so no one who wanted the recipes misses them!

Comment

Thank you! I am a cinnamon ice cream addict and it is very hard to find. Now I can make my own.

Comment

OMGiH! I haff ice-cream maker on order! I haff finally decided to buy one mein selve after I haff readed these recipes. Und I can to order mein groceries online und zo they bring der gredients to mein howse. This it be wunnerful! First I make Apfel Ice-Cream.

------------------------
                            I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.
                            ------------------------
                            I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Comment

kb - glad to be of help. I loff cinnamon ice cream, and while most people are slightly suspicious at first, ALL my friends and family are addicts now!

Comment

These recipes look wunnerful! But, alas, I have a problem: I **have** an ice cream maker, but I, um, seem to have lost the directions for the use thereof. Sigh.

Oh, and Kinsella: Glad you liked that.

***Dear Sam: All I really want for my birthday is FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!***
                                Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Comment

Beezer

Check the web site of the company that makes your ice cream maker - you might be able to download the manual, or at least find an address or phone number where you can order one.

Comment

So the Apple Sorbet does not require an ice cream maker???/ (Poor college student is HOPING here!)

Laura
                                    Laura

Comment

Ponygrl, all the recipes require an ice cream maker.

I don't know how poor a college student you are (I'm at 'starving college student' level at this point!) but some of them (like the little Cuisinart I have) can be had for quite cheap. Seriously, like $30. After the initial outlay, it's cheaper than buying the stuff at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure you could turn many sorbet recipies into popsicles, though. Cheap-o popsicle molds can be found at Wal-Mart and grocery stores. I've made lemon popsicles out of lemon sorbet before, soo ...

Beezer, R-A-R is right - most manufacturers' websites have downloadable user manuals these days.

Comment

ooooooooooh. yes Matt and I be po' until I can sell my friggin horse

but $30 for an ice cream maker. I bet I spend that on ice cream every month (its my passion) hehehe. Must try. I work with a girl who was a pastry chef and now she wants to help me make ice cream/sorbet recipes. she rules!

Laura
                                        Laura

Comment

Well, my mum came home from Williams-Sonoma last year & said, 'I got you a suprise!' I saw the Cuisinart box & said, 'YES! A food processor! WOO HOO!' It turned out to be an ice cream maker (I'm a geek when it comes to kitchen appliances - all I want for Christmas is a nice KitchenAid stand mixer, with dough hook attachment. :drool: )

The only problem with the cheaper kinds is that the bowl MUST be kept frozen (and I mean VERY frozen) - it does take up a decent amount of space in the freezer. One day, I want one of the expensive ones that you just plug in, no pre-freezing required. But for now, this one does just fine.

It's really quite fun to watch the liquid turn into ice cream & it's quite satisfying to eat the fruits of your labor. Just poked around on the Williams-Sonoma website, and they're running around $49 right now - Ice Cream Maker - but ours was on sale last summer (towards the end of summer).

At this point, I'm living on chicken breasts & rice & have been way too broke to buy ice cream making ingredients. If you need any tips or tricks, just let me know. And I have tons more yummy recipies!

Comment

Working...
                                          X