Madeira is seeking a Stable Manager to join the Equestrian Program. The Madeira School is one of the country's premier girls boarding/day schools with a century of serving the needs of a wide variety of young women from around the country and the world. Located just outside of Washington, DC, on the banks of the Potomac River, Madeira enrolls 330 students in grades 9-12.
The equestrian program operates year-round and is composed of approximately 15 school horses and 15 privately owned horses. The focus is on hunters, jumpers and equitation. Equestrians compete at local and USEF-rated horse shows along with Interscholastic Equestrian Association competitions. The facility hosts a variety of shows and clinics throughout the year in addition to summer camp. The facilities include a 34-stall stable with two outdoor rings, one indoor ring, 10 grass paddocks and two all-weather turnouts.
The successful candidate will coordinate, plan, direct and oversee the stable operations of the Equestrian Program.
• Supervision of the stables in the afternoon during lessons
- Instruct, assist, and oversee students in tacking, untacking, and caring for horses.
- Ensure that horses are cared for correctly and safely by students
- Ensure that students are safely handling horses in the stables.
• Oversee the general care, health, and well-being of all horses
- Oversee and assist with feeding, watering, hay, turn out, blankets, medications, and care of injuries etc.
- Provide expert management of all horse care, both routine (e.g., vaccines, worming, dental, farrier) and exceptional (e.g., lameness, colic, tying up, etc.)
• Oversee and assist with the maintenance and upkeep of the general equestrian facilities
- Assign and oversee barn maintenance and upkeep duties as needed to stable staff
- Oversee cleaning of stalls and assist if necessary due to vacation/illness
• Develop a proper feed plan for each horse based on workload and condition
• Order feed, hay, and sawdust
- Track their usage and seek out best value
-Maintain quality control of delivered goods
• Schedule and coordinate veterinary and farrier appointments
- Maintain veterinary and farrier records for each individual horse.
- Trailer horses to off-site vet and farrier appointments as needed
• Order supplies, including supplements, medicines, bandages, shampoo, medical products etc.
- Seek out best prices and quality
- Maintain inventory
• Seek out ways to improve stable operations in terms of organizational efficiency and horse care
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with students, boarders and parents based on exemplifying “good customer service”
• Maintain updated contact info for boarders, owners, and vendors
• Update stall cards and feed room labels as needed
• Assist with organizing department programs such as horse shows, field trips, summer camps
• Exercise horses and teach mounted riding lessons as needed
• Fill in with stable work as needed
• Take care of horse laundry
• 3 years of direct staff supervisory experience
• 5 years full-time stable management experience of at least a 25-horse facility
• 10 years of hands-on horse care experience
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a variety of constituents
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team with exceptional initiative
• Excellent organizational skills, follow through and attention to detail
• Excellent understanding of barn safety and ability to maintain an orderly facility
• Must possess and maintain current driver’s license with an excellent driving record; able to drive truck and trailer; operate tractor and equipment
• Recognize, assess, treat and monitor a variety of equine injuries; provide basic Equine First Aid including shots, wraps and other requirements
• Demonstrate basic bookkeeping and basic computer proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word)
• Ability to lift/carry 50 pounds and push/pull animals of 900 pounds or more and to work in a variety of weather conditions: hot/cold/wet/humid.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.