The ASPCA Maclay Championship kicks off at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3 at the Kentucky Horse Park’s Alltech Arena in Lexington, Kentucky.
Round 1 has 179 riders on the order of go. The schedule estimates the flat phase, which will include a minimum of 25 riders, which has an estimated start time of 2:25 p.m. The second round of jumping will run immediately after that.
Jimmy Torano and Tammy Provost will be judging the Maclay, and they also designed the course.
The Chronicle’s Laura Lemon and Kimberly Loushin will be ringside blogging—find their round-by-round commentary on each ride here.
Other useful links and information:
- The order of go is posted below, and we’ll update this article with a course map and a description of the course on Sunday morning.
- You can watch the live feed on EQSports.net. (There is a subscription fee.) The National is also live streaming on their website.
- You can find National Horse Show results and orders of go here.
- Don’t forget to follow the Chronicle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @Chronofhorse
- Need someone to cheer for? Read COTH’s Back From The Brink: Conspicuous Goes From Deathbed To Maclay Finals.
- We will have full analysis of the competition in the Nov. 18 issue of the magazine.
THE ROUND 1 COURSE
The riders start right off the bat on the right lead to a white oxer-oxer diagonal line going away from the gate, with the first fence set without wings in five strides. They immediately turn left to a long, white vertical fence that stretches a quarter of the ring. They first jump the right side of the fence, only to turn loop back on themselves and jump it the other direction on the opposite side. The riders then open their right rein to continue to a natural brown one-stride combination on the outside of the ring, then traveling on a bending line to the ASPCA vertical with no wings.
After the ASCPA, they turn left, traveling across the diagonal on a marked 6 strides. The fence 7, the first of the line, is an old, military style Then they make their way to the long, end fence again, this time jumping it back and forth on the right lead.
They finish the course heading towards the in-gate to an oxer to oxer two stride made up of natural brush and again without wings before. They finish traveling on a bending line to a shiny, black vertical set right on the short side.