The U.S. Equestrian Federation and the U.S. Center for SafeSport have updated the SafeSport Suspensions List.
The Center, originally created by the U.S. Olympic Committee but now run as an independent agency, protects athletes from six kinds misconduct defined in the SafeSport code (which you can download from the SafeSport website): hazing, bullying, harassment, emotional misconduct, physical misconduct and sexual misconduct, including child sexual abuse. The Center has authority over the USEF and the other 46 national governing bodies in the Olympic movement to independently investigate allegations of these types of misconduct.
The USEF website has a SafeSport section listing all individuals who have been sanctioned for violating the code. There are several types of suspensions: suspensions with a set end date; expulsion (which kicks members out but allows individuals to reapply for re-instatement after a set period of time) and permanent ineligibility. It also lists interim suspensions, in which certain individuals being investigated by SafeSport investigators may not compete until the end of the investigation.
You can see the full list, which includes safe sport violations from all sports in the Olympic movement, on the USEF website. Click “Safe Sport” to get a list of all who have been sanctioned under that policy. The list includes each individual’s name, location, sport, violation and date sanctioned.
The following equestrians have been deemed permanently ineligible to participate in any USEF competitions:
- Randall Cates, Edmond, Oklahoma, sexual misconduct involving minors, sanctioned 2/26/15
- Barry Duncan, Warrenton, Virginia, Criminal Disposition, sanctioned 5/9/18
- Robert Hedin, Glenmoore, Pennsylvania, Criminal Disposition, sanctioned 3/12/18
- Jimmy Williams, Flintridge, California, Sexual Misconduct, sanctioned 2018
The following equestrians have been expelled from the USEF:
- Kenneth Acebal, Alpharetta, Georgia, Criminal Disposition, sanctioned 4/8/13
- George Aguel, Agoura Hills, California, Criminal Disposition, sanctioned 9/3/08
- John Monetti, St. James, New York, Criminal Disposition 5/23/08
The following equestrian is on the interim suspension list:
- John Lindstedt, Spencer, Massachusetts, Allegations Of Misconduct 3/27/18
For more information about SafeSport, check out our story about the program.