The U.S. Equestrian Federation on Sept. 1 announced the approval of hunter/jumper competitions to be added to the calendar for the first trimester of the 2022 competition year in Florida. In April 2021, the board of directors approved a resolution permitting the USEF to contemporaneously review all mileage-exemption requests for licensed hunter, jumper and hunter/jumper shows in Florida during the first trimester of the 2022 competition year. This was done to provide the USEF the most universal consideration of the hunter/jumper competition landscape in that region due to the concentration of show horses in Florida at that time of year.
The mileage-exemption requests received were processed in accordance with the approved resolution and USEF rules. The USEF reviewed information including applicant mileage-exemption requests, recommendations of priority date holders, feedback from the U.S. Hunter Jumper Association, feedback from the applicable USEF department(s), the existing hunter/jumper competitions on the calendar, historical horse density and migration data, and applicable USEF rules and mileage-exemption criteria.
In early August, USEF CEO Bill Moroney conducted site visits at applicant and priority date holder facilities in Florida, and met with organizers to discuss the competition environment and gather feedback.
The additional approved Florida competitions are:
• The Ridge (Wellington): Nine shows offering equitation classes
• HITS Ocala: Three shows with national hunter, level 5 jumper ratings, two of which also would offer CSI2* classes pending Fédération Equestre International approval; and two shows with premier hunter and level 6 jumper ratings, one with a potential CSI2* and $300,000 in jumper prize money and the other without a CSI2* and $1.14 million in jumper prize money
• Fox Lea Farm (Venice): Nine shows with national hunter and level 4 jumper ratings and maximum jumper prize money of $60,000
• Split Rock Jumping Tour at TerraNova (Sarasota): One competition offering level 6 jumpers and a CSI2*, pending FEI approval, with a maximum of 400 entries
• TerraNova (Sarasota): One show with a regional hunter and level 3 jumper rating and four shows with national hunter and level 4 jumper ratings
Specific dates for these competitions are listed here.
The USEF’s goal is to provide a competition environment that meets members’ needs for the development of equine and human athletes, horse and human safety and welfare, athlete protection, and a fair and level field of play.
Questions about these additions to the competition calendar or the calendaring process can be directed to Katlynn Wilbers at firstname.lastname@example.org.