COLUMBIA, Mo. – Stephens College is proud to announce that the Stephens Stables has been named to the 2010 Most Notable Properties List by the City of Columbia Historic Preservation Commission (HPC). The program, which recognized seven “most notable” historic properties, encourages the preservation of important historical properties and recognizes property owners who maintain and/or rehabilitate historic properties.
A public reception honoring this year’s award recipients was held on Feb. 2, 2010, in the Tiger Hotel Ballroom, 23 S. 8th St. in downtown Columbia. Stephens College President Dianne Lynch accepted the award on behalf of the Stables. Ellen Beard, Director of Equestrian Operations, also shared a few words about the history of the stables and the equestrian program. In addition, many Stephens students, faculty and staff, as well as about 20 Equestrian alumnae, attended the reception in support of the College. During the reception, pictures and other memorabilia were on display. A video featuring the award-winning properties will air on the City Channel.
“The Stephens Stables continues to be a local favorite – we know because of the daily visits we receive from community members of all ages,” Ellen Beard says. “Receiving this formal acknowledgement from the City of Columbia solidifies its intrinsic value as a property worth protecting. Historically, our arena drew and could house crowds of up to 2,500; with support, it could again. I see this honor as a step in that direction.”
The Stables, located at 203 Old Hwy. 63, occupies 16 acres on the Stephens campus and boards approximately 40 horses. The facility comprises two barns with a total of 61 stalls, the Saddleseat/Western barn (built in 1939) and the Hunter/Dressage barn (built in 1952); an indoor arena, a lighted outdoor arena, seven turn-out paddocks, and a cross-country course.
The College’s riding program began in 1925 and is home to the Prince of Wales Club, the oldest continually active riding club in the country. The Stephens Department of Equestrian Studies offers a B.S. in Equestrian Studies: Business Management, a B.S. in Equestrian Studies: Education and minors in Equestrian or Animal Science and a Therapeutic Instruction/Occupational Therapy master’s program.
Since the annual list’s inception in 1998, Stephens has been recognized on three other occasions: in 1998, for Historic Senior Hall (100 Waugh St.), the oldest building on the College’s campus that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; in 2000, for Lela Raney Wood Hall (6 N. College Ave., originally built in 1938, which reopened following a complete historic renovation in 2007; and in 2002, for the Firestone Baars Chapel (1306 E. Walnut St.), designed by the St. Louis Gateway Arch architect Eero Saarinen.
Stephens College, established in 1833, is historically committed to meeting the changing needs of women. Stephens engages students in an innovative educational experience focused on pre-professional fields and the performing arts and grounded in the liberal arts.