Devon, Pa.—Sept. 27
Riders in the Grand Prix for the Special and Grand Prix for the freestyle took their turns in the Dixon Oval at Dressage At Devon today, with Canada’s Ashley Holzer triumphing in both classes with Jewel’s Adelante (72.00%) and Breaking Dawn (72.83%), respectively. “I hit the passage at V today, and I swear, in the ring, I said ‘Whee!’ ” said Holzer of her ride with Jewel’s Adelante. “It was a joyous moment. I had a great time in there.”
But Holzer wasn’t the only one to enjoy her time in the ring. Check out our gallery of 12 memorable happenings from the classes this evening:
1. Holzer and Breaking Dawn’s reunion. Holzer and the 12-year-old gelding last competed in a CDI together this April, and the horse is more frequently ridden by owner PJ Rizvi.
2. Lars Petersen and Mariett’s polished performance, which earned them second in the Grand Prix for the freestyle on 72.19 percent. (Also check out Petersen’s new coat!)
3. The soft connection Tina Konyot always displays with Calecto V. The pair finished third in the Grand Prix for the freestyle.
4. Victor HF’s ability to sit in the piaffe. The horse, ridden by Michael Barisone, earned a 67.44 percent in the Grand Prix for the freestyle.
5. The extremely professional effort put in by adult amateur Jill Irving aboard Holzer’s veteran Grand Prix partner, Pop Art. The pair picked up a 69.80 percent in the Grand Prix for the freestyle, placing fifth.
6. And Holzer’s reaction to Pop Art’s test.
7. Udon P’s genuine expression and efforts in the Grand Prix for the freestyle. Udon P was ridden by Kelly Layne.
8. The display of partnership between Holzer and Jewel’s Adelante, despite their short time together. (Holzer is competing the horse while owner Eliane Cordia van Reesema is out after having a baby.)
9. Ellegria’s expressive extended gaits. Barisone rode Ellegria to second in the Grand Prix for the Special (67.57%).
10. Australia’s Layne and Von Primaire’s boldness in the extended canter during the Grand Prix for the Special.
11. Catherine Haddad Staller’s decision to put in a quick schooling circle when Mane Stream Hotmail got flustered during the first trot half-pass in the Grand Prix for the Special.
After her quiet correction, the horse went confidently back to work and put in a smooth Grand Prix test.
12. The Andalusian stallion Oyente’s irredescent coat, which ellicted comments from many spectators. Oyente was ridden by Elly Schobel in the Grand Prix for the Special.
The Grand Prix freestyle takes place tomorrow evening. You can see full Devon results online.