Familiar faces filled all the top spots in the Red Hills International CIC***-W in Tallahassee, Fla., today, Friday, March 5. Mara Dean and Nicki Henley put in their usual elegant test (42.0) to claim the top spot over Phillip Dutton on Truluck (45.6) and Bonnie Mosser on Merloch (47.4).
The CIC***-W riders were faced with the highest winds and biggest crowd of the afternoon, which created a fairly electric atmosphere. Fifteen horses completed the dressage phase, and Truluck and Dutton will lead the way on the cross-country tomorrow, Saturday, March 6, at 11:53 a.m.
In the CIC**, Fair Hill CCI** (Md.) winners Hannah Sue Burnett and St. Barths (46.4) bested Buck Davidson on Absolute Liberty (48.8) and Dutton on Wild Tiger (49.1).
“I was really impressed with him. There’s so much atmosphere, and he’s a little redhead,” said Burnett. “He can really be a little flighty, so I was a little worried. But he got in there and focused and got really fancy!”
The CIC** riders set out on course at 9 a.m., led by Dutton and Wild Tiger.
“I’ve got Buck and Phillip chasing me tomorrow, so I’ll be high-tailing it,” Burnett said with a laugh.
1. Nicki Henley and Mara Dean – 42.0
2. Truluck and Phillip Dutton – 45.6
3. Merloch and Bonnie Mosser – 47.4
4. Mandiba and Karen O’Connor – 47.8
5. Arthur and Allison Springer – 50.4
1. St. Barths and Hannah Sue Burnett – 46.4
2. Buck Davidson and Absolute Liberty – 48.8
3. Wild Tiger and Phillip Dutton – 49.1
4. Sportsfield Dis N Dat and Debbie Foote – 52.4
5. Lioness and Phillip Dutton – 54.3