The U.S. Hunter Jumper Association has announced the dates, locations and clinicians for the 2019 Lindsay Maxwell Charitable Fund/USHJA Emerging Athletes Program. Applications to participate in one of 10 Regional Training Sessions nationwide will open Feb. 4. The program is open to riders under 25, who are proficient at 1.10-1.35-meter jumper courses.
“The EAP is an incredible learning experience for young athletes who are passionate and dedicated to the sport and want to advance their riding and horsemanship skills,” said Sally Ike, USHJA Emerging Athletes Program Committee chair.
The deadline for applications for the first six sessions is April 15, and the deadline for applications for the remaining sessions is May 13.
Seven of the 10 Regional Training Sessions will offer a special 3-foot section, giving riders of all ages an introduction to the benefits of the Lindsay Maxwell Charitable Fund/USHJA Emerging Athletes Program at a 3-foot fence height. Riders participating in a 3-foot section will have full access to all aspects of the regional training session but are not eligible to qualify for the national training session.
“We hope that by adding this 3-foot section we will give more athletes a taste of what this program has to offer as they advance in the sport,” Ike said. “While 3-foot athletes will not be eligible to qualify for the national training session, they will return home having learned much from the regional training session; we hope to see many of them join EAP as their skills progress.
Early Summer Sessions – Apply by April 15:
• University of Findlay with Julie Winkel/Colleen Reed (Findlay, Ohio), June 3-7*
• Great Southwest Equestrian Center with Cynthia Hankins/Nanci Snyder (Katy, Texas), June 10-14*
• Fox Lea Farm with Kip Rosenthal/Anne Thornbury (Venice, Florida), June 12-16*
• Virginia Horse Center with Candice King/Colleen Reed (Lexington, Virginia), June 17-21*
• Centenary University with Karen Healey/Nanci Snyder (Long Valley, New Jersey), June 24-28
Late Summer Sessions – Apply by May 13:
• Los Angeles Equestrian Center with Jim Wofford/Anne Thornbury (Burbank, California), June 26-30
• HITS Balmoral with Julie Winkel/Colleen Reed (Crete, Illinois), July 8-12
• Sonoma Valley Stables with Cynthia Hankins/Nanci Snyder (Petaluma, California), July 17-21*
• Mount Holyoke with Jim Wofford/Colleen Reed (South Hadley, Massachusetts), July 22-26*
• Tryon International Equestrian Center with Jeff Cook/Anne Thornbury (Mill Spring, North Carolina), July 29 – August 2*
Note: An * indicates which sessions will offer a 3-foot section.