The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fly Spray Time -- what works for you?

It's time for fly spray again. I HATE figuring out what I think works. I was into the natural citronella ones last year, also the marigold. Don't really know if they work. I just ordered a bottle of TriTek. What do you all think actually works???

Endurance fly spray. Seemed to really knock down the flies for the greatest amount of time.

I feel like I go through the same thing every year too. Last year what worked best seemed to be the Endure fly spray with the blue label. It seemed to have the longest lasting effect. I also mixed up the RepelX in the highest concentration and it had a good knockdown effect but just didn't seem to repel the flies as long as the Endure did.

Good luck!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I do a bit of experimenting, and have found that a 6 ounce bottle of Cutter advanced bug repellent for people, dumped in to a 24 ounce spray bottle, topped off with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar,works quite well, and only costs about 5 or 6 bucks.

My DH bought some organic bug killer for gnats in his houseplants. It is 33 percent cedar oil. I mix 2 ounces of that in a spray bottle, add water and vinegar..that works well too.

If I was going to buy fly spray, the ONLY one that works that I have tried is B Free of Flies.http://store.kbcint.com/browse.cfm/4,40.htm

Ultrashield for the body and Farnam roll-on for ears to keep black flies at bay.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'm partial to a homemade mix, the recipe of which I picked up from a horse message board somewhere in cyberspace two years ago (might even have been this one!).

It's pretty simple and, for my horses, as effective as the Ultrashield or Tri-Tec I used to use (and less expensive!):

10 oz. water
    10 oz. vinegar
    4 oz. Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (the "original" formula)
    1 oz. Repel-X Concentrate
    SHAKE WELL, and shake before and during each use.

I mix it by double batches and store in a plastic water/milk jug in the barn, refilling an old flyspray bottle as needed. When summer hits in full swing, I do double up the Repel-X quantity in the mix for a month or so. Between sweat and those dang deer flies, a little more "oomph" is needed to keep my horses happy.

The Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil I buy in bulk on eBay every spring. Quite a few eBay sellers offer it in multi-bottle lots at economical prices.

Funny note: when I had my mare up to the Medical Center last summer for follow-up rads, one of the techs mentioned if I had bathed my mare that day since she smelled so good. I told her nope, it was just my flyspray.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

[QUOTE=tbtrailrider;2451377]I do a bit of experimenting, and have found that a 6 ounce bottle of Cutter advanced bug repellent for people, dumped in to a 24 ounce spray bottle, topped off with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar,works quite well, and only costs about 5 or 6 bucks.

I used this (thank you!) and added 2 oz. of calm coat as well. Works much better than anything else! And love the price!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I've tried everything, and always go back to TriTec. Seems to be the most effective by far, and I like that it is water-based with a sunscreen added.

Flicks. Love the smell, the mildness and the effectiveness.

Default I second the Flicks

Great for the coat too!!

Default It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by MySparrow View Post
    Flicks. Love the smell, the mildness and the effectiveness.
    In an effort to reduce the amount of insecticide I put on my horses, I'm using the Eqyss marigold spray this year for the first time and I love it for these reasons too. I use it when riding or driving the ponies in the vicinity of the barn where things are a bit civilized. And I'll probably be confident in using it when riding in the woods this summer. But when I drive in the woods where deer flies lurk, the boys are first sprayed thoroughly with Wipe (my personal choice for *real* spray for many years), they wear their ear to nose Cashel fly masks and they have the old-fashioned string fly nets over the harness. It's one thing to have to swish flies off of them while you're on their backs and quite another to be way back in that carriage and watching in dismay and helplessness while horse flies and deer flies glom on and torment them while you hope against hope that the horses won't react violently.

And, sorry to stray from the topic, but have you ever looked at old photos or prints of carriage horses from, say, the 1800's when there probably wasn't any kind of fly repellant for them? With their heads checked up tightly by overchecks, don't you wonder what it felt like to them to have flies gnawing on their chests and bellies and groins? Gads, it hurts just to think about what carriage horses must have endured during deer fly season! I don't want to lay on any more insecticide than I have to but thank heavens I have that option to keep my horses comfortable.

I am currently using BugBlock... which i like, and is pretty strong also relatively inexpensive. 38bucks a gallon..

But.. if i had the money i'd go w/ german brand Deo Lotion. Great great stuff.. works wonders, but expensive. You can get the concentrate which you mix up with water... the stronger you make it the better it works.

Good Stuff..
    thanks for that homemade mixture.. i'm going to try that one!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Default Like Flicks so far...

I started using that this year and we will see how it goes once the deer flies and the green eyed monsters appear.

I also use Flysect Super 7 and that seems to work well also, but is expensive.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

in Wisconsin and Minnesota, its said that the state bird is the Mosquito! We have so many mosquitos, they're practically unmanageable, and nothing works except Deep Woods OFF. I've used that for years. But I use fly sheets and masks with ears also, then spray only the exposed parts.

This morning I went out and the mosquitos were so terrible that I put on the Cashel neck and chest covers along with fly sheets with bellybands and the masks with ears. Then sprayed the legs, utters, and cheeks.

There's no way I could rely on sprays alone to do the job. I've tried that, and its a losing battle. You absolutely have to cover the horses up the best you can in mosquito territory.

We keep our fields mowed and all standing water eliminated, but its never enough. I don't think I've seen more than a handfull of flies this year, but the mosquitos are killer.

We've got one up here called "Konk". It originally started out as a spray for cattle, but now comes in a horse formula (which is the one the vet recommends), & so far, is the only one that seems to actually work (even when they sweat). We were told about the stuff when we went to Winnipeg 2 years ago (they have horrendous mosquitos & black flies) & they all swear by the stuff. It smells not too bad, although my mare isn't overly fond of it, she does appreciate the fact that the flies seem to die on contact!!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I used the Eqyss Marigold spray first this year and LOVE IT. When I ran out, I forgot to order it when I ordered my dewormers and the closest store with it is about 30-40min away and I haven't had another need to go that area yet. I bought farnam's natural something spray and hate it. Next time I will make the drive for the Marigold.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
    I used the Eqyss Marigold spray first this year and LOVE IT. When I ran out, I forgot to order it when I ordered my dewormers and the closest store with it is about 30-40min away and I haven't had another need to go that area yet. I bought farnam's natural something spray and hate it. Next time I will make the drive for the Marigold.
    I buy mine by the gallon from Big Dee's. They have the best price on it that I've found (and on lots of other things too). They've replaced Jeffers' as my favorite supplier:
    http://www.bigdweb.com/

I do love the smell of the marigold spray too.

TriTech 14 works great on flies and ticks. If you are in an area with a heavy bee population, Absorbine UltraShield works better for that. If you go with Tritech, American Livestock company (catalog) has the lowest prices for the gallon size, and each gallon comes with a free quart.

I third TriTech..works great on my sensitive TBs.
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Hot Tea~
    ~Calypso Bob~

Thumbs up

Endure.

And it's the only thing that seems to work on ticks, too.