The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default ground driving!

my new pony is now ground driving! he should be world champion in no time

seriously, he has a very, very light mouth and is very eager and forward. he ground drives on a very light touch and learns things very quickly. the only trouble i had was when i tried to start out with a handler at his head which seemed to upset him. i'm glad i worked on longeing and am extra glad i'm following the steps outlined here for a beginning driver. i can work him on a circle with the lines over his back or walk behind him.

HurrAY! perhaps the former owners were not so terrible after all. Maybe you owe them an apology.

Contrary to what you thought, he is not 'crippled ' and it appears he has also had some correct handling. That's very good news. Perhaps someone even trained him to drive.

can't quite just enjoy it, can you,

well i can. i'm lovin' it every step of the way, and i think driving can only make me a better rider.

i now think i am starting to understand why some friends have enjoyed driving so much. i have driven some, but not schooled my own before.

the thing i like best about it is that it really is a very quick mirror of what the driver is doing, and you can see very clearly what the effect of what you do is - couldn't be clearer - i'm staring right at it!

no, he was never trained to drive. he never had a bridle on him, never had a blanket on him, and he was never longed, not used to bathing, and was never more than halter broke - that's what we were told and his behavior makes it very clear that was true. he was as wild as a march hare. he's had to be shown things and gentled just like an unhandled horse.

That's great. When I was quite young (7 or 8?) I used to drive a pony in a sulky. It was my friend's pony and we travelled the roads in a small village and went in parades. It was my first 'horse experience' and I have never forgotten it.

When I can no longer ride I hope to be driving again.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    When I can no longer ride I hope to be driving again.
    That's about what I said "When I can't ride my horses anymore I'll drive them" but no one ever told me that it was SO much FUN!! Although I still occasionally ride I find my preference is now to drive. So I often lend my riding horses to friends and then tag along on the trail ride driving my pony to my Batmobile
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Hehe, yes I knew someone would pick me up on that. I am 'saving' driving because I'm having enough fun now doing other things.

Why are you putting the reins over his back when you work him in a circle?? What equipment do you have him in? Have you had long reining lessons?

i have a surcingle, thomas. if i longe with one line i don't use the surcingle. i use it when longeing with two lines or ground driving. if i am longeing him on a circle with two lines (variously called 'longeing with two lines', 'ground driving' and 'double longeing' by various people), i stop and i put the reins over his back when i change him from going clockwise to counterclockwise. this is alot for him as 2 months ago no one could walk behind him or touch his hindquarters. when ground driving him - what they call ground driving around here, i am directly behind him. he turns left and right, goes on the rail, does circles and stops and starts up.

you might find he goes better if you long rein correctly

he couldn't go any better if he tried. he's working very well. i had already longed him with a single longe line for 2 months, so it was just a matter of the new setup and position of the longeur, he already has learned walk trot canter commands, turning, stopping so this wasn't too hard for him. when longeing with the two lines on a circle, he has done very well. walking behind he does very well too. and i had already spent a lot of time walking around behind him, putting my arm over his back, etc. he's adjusted very well.

the equipment is how a local driving trainer told me to do it. if you know of a better way, please do share. a friend of mine has worked with bo jena on various ground schooling techniques and thinks i can go to one of those clinics.

SLC, you might consider putting the outside line behind his butt. If he's going to be a driving pony, then he has to get used to it. Sooner the better, in my opinion. Then when you change direction, you turn him outside the circle on a long smooth diagonal, walking behind him, and just change rein, adjusting your long lines (taking up slack from the outside, picking up on the inside). It's very smooth and quiet when done correctly. The outside line provides an automatic half-halt when he trots, so he learns to balance on the circle without trying to dive in on you.

I do long-line with the reins up through the top surcincle rings (if that's what you're doing), but only with an experienced driving pony. It gives a much more subtle connection with the bit, but you don't have the outside supporting line to prevent turn-ins.

Happy driving, and take your time.

You should put the outside line so it runs round the back of him.

Whether its a riding horse or a driving horse.

toMAYto toMAAto

not exactly, equibrit. the idea behind doing that is getting the horse prepared for driving. it really isn't optional...not according to what little i've learned so far.

the local instructor told me to take having the line around the back of him in stages, since he's so unhandled. she said absolutely do not put the line around his hind quarters right now. i asked her about that. she says we have to make a few special adjustments for the little guy due to his past, and give him time. don't worry, the line will be around his back end..probably in a couple weeks or so. but we have to make a few allowances for a pony that 2 months ago, was cowering in the back of his stall when anyone walked in. i'm ok with that, and i realize it can't be put off forever. i don't intend to. attack all you want, thomas, you haven't seen this pony; i feel i know this pony well enough to give him this allowance for a little while. i'm thrilled he's doing as much as he is! we also went for a hike and went up and down some cross country obstacles! he's doing very well. i find him super balanced and light mouthed.

Sounds like you are on the right track, SLC. Listen to and work with your instructor. If you can, you might consider coming on down to Gayla for a weekend of lessons with Jose Hernandez. He can teach both of you alot in a short time. He's really good with the long-lines.

Heh heh heh I just worked the Gayla CDE! I love that place! 650 acres of heaven, let me tell you...
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Double lunging or long lining is not ground driving.

where the stars shine bright all through the night

Just curious, what is the difference?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage--Mythbusters
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    the local instructor told me to take having the line around the back of him in stages, since he's so unhandled. she said absolutely do not put the line around his hind quarters right now. i asked her about that. she says we have to make a few special adjustments for the little guy due to his past, and give him time. don't worry, the line will be around his back end..probably in a couple weeks or so. but we have to make a few allowances for a pony that 2 months ago, was cowering in the back of his stall when anyone walked in. i'm ok with that, and i realize it can't be put off forever. i don't intend to. attack all you want, thomas, you haven't seen this pony; i feel i know this pony well enough to give him this allowance for a little while. i'm thrilled he's doing as much as he is! we also went for a hike and went up and down some cross country obstacles! he's doing very well. i find him super balanced and light mouthed.
    Trust me that was not an attack. It was actually advice for a beginner. But heck you do what you want - just ignore me.

I stupidly presumed that you were posting about what you were doing as you wanted to know from those who had experience and had a clue.

I hadn't appreciated that when you post to tell us how you're doing stuff incorrectly, even though you think its following advice to a beginner, that we were supposed to just sit back in wonder and awe at your alternative knowledge and understanding.

Apologies for my being so foolish

where the stars shine bright all through the night

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage--Mythbusters
    <><