The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by spacely View Post
    I just have to add, I met Red Wine yesterday. Wow! What a lovely, lovely boy! He's very correct, a good mover & has a great temperament. He's a dark, blue-black with chrome that goes on forever & lots of roaning on one side of his neck (rabicano - he's also sabino). I bet his babies are going to have serious bling! I can not wait to see how he produces.
    Spacely - Good mover as in hunter or as in dressage?

Quote Originally Posted by spacely View Post
    I just have to add, I met Red Wine yesterday. Wow! What a lovely, lovely boy! He's very correct, a good mover & has a great temperament. He's a dark, blue-black with chrome that goes on forever & lots of roaning on one side of his neck (rabicano - he's also sabino). I bet his babies are going to have serious bling! I can not wait to see how he produces.
    Spacely, I went and looked at his photo/info and he is a pretty boy! I'm not sure how he is a sabino though. I see four whites, and jagged edges, but are they high enough to be considered sabino? I see from the one angle maybe a "little" bit of a bottom white lip?

If that is a sabino then my mare must be as well?? Curiosity has gotten me here! My mare has three medium high whites, and almost a total white bottom lip! What determines what?

My mares pic:
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5451859
    Mountain View Farm
    Diva 5-7-07, Dolce 5-19-08, Devo 6-10-09

When handling yourself....use your head. When handling your horse....use your heart!<3

Re Redwine, he is old enough to have foal crops. Hope we see baby photos on the owner's web site soon.

Also, is he a dressage mover or hunter mover?

My approved Swedish stallion Amorex has a summer stud fee of $950, which includes first shipment out. Or another choice----$450 for first shipment out, the total balance is $1400 but not due until you have a healthy foal on the ground.
    Below, a wonderful 4 year-old gelding from Amorex; Amiero, Diploma in Jumping and Dressage at his SWB inspection, and a 10 on Type from the Swedish judges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amierojump.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	17317  
    Mary

Mary Baechler
    http://amorexswb.com/

I'm not sure how he is a sabino though.
    He most certainly is both sabino & rabicano. His socks have jagged edges. They do not have to go over the knee & hock to be sabino. He also has lower lip white that I'm not sure you can see in the pics. He's going to be a chrome producer for sure! I can't wait to breed my Sword Dance mare to him. She's also got a ton of roaning throughout her body (she is rabicano), but no socks & just a star.

As for his movement, I was very pleased. I would like to see more before I say one way or another - we were only able to turn him loose for a second, but he is lovely.
    Last edited by spacely; Jun. 2, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Over here I would not even know where to start ... as the vast majority of stallions are below 900 Euro - and the concept of booking fees is unheard of.
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
    Figiel

Booking fees come from the tB industry where they needed to have a handle on how many mares the stallion would be able to live cover.

Having watched many of the stallion auctions, I think a majority of stallions should be priced under $900 if they want to compete with frozen.

There are maybe a dozen stallions who are popular enough that they will get the list price in an auction setting.

Quote Originally Posted by dressage72 View Post
    Spacely, I went and looked at his photo/info and he is a pretty boy! I'm not sure how he is a sabino though. I see four whites, and jagged edges, but are they high enough to be considered sabino? I see from the one angle maybe a "little" bit of a bottom white lip?

If that is a sabino then my mare must be as well?? Curiosity has gotten me here! My mare has three medium high whites, and almost a total white bottom lip! What determines what?

My mares pic:
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5451859
    Yes, your mare is definitely a sabino...check out http://www.sabinohorseregistry.com/

Default stallions <900

My Lipizzan stallion 261 Maestoso Samira XXI is $800 for non-purebred Lipizzan mares. Collection at REACH is $105 plus actual shipping cost and Equitainer deposit - unless you opt for disposable box. Booking is included in the stud fee. Early bird discounts are available before March 31; multiple mare discounts anytime. He was approved for breeding in Slovenia.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

I think a majority of stallions should be priced under $900 if they want to compete with frozen.
    I agree. I also think the majority of US stallions are over-priced for what they are, what they have produced & what their show record is. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Re Redwine, he is old enough to have foal crops. Hope we see baby photos on the owner's web site soon.
    Well since he was just imported, getting pictures of his foals may be problematic. I manage Jill's website and we will certaintly get things up as they are available.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Years ago, a typical stud fee in the US was $1500, then they were heading to $1800.

But the market has changed due to frozen. The frozen doses are cheaper and the MO may just be willing to put extra money into additional vet fees and breed to a stallion who has a good competition record in Europe.

Auctions are where one can see what people are willing to pay for a specific stallion. The list prices are not in touch with the market for the majority of stallions, JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug Hill View Post
    Well since he was just imported, getting pictures of his foals may be problematic. I manage Jill's website and we will certaintly get things up as they are available.
    I'm trying to set up appointments to see some of his babies on my next trip over. So hopefully there will be some photos of them in the begining of August to post. I did see one on my last trip over, but that was before we were looking at Redwine, so I didn't take photos of him. duh! It was a 2 yr old colt. He was in a group of 20+ colts, but he was one of the few who really stood out. He was dark bay, 4 white socks, pretty and very correct.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Years ago, a typical stud fee in the US was $1500, then they were heading to $1800.

But the market has changed due to frozen. The frozen doses are cheaper and the MO may just be willing to put extra money into additional vet fees and breed to a stallion who has a good competition record in Europe.

Auctions are where one can see what people are willing to pay for a specific stallion. The list prices are not in touch with the market for the majority of stallions, JMHO.
    To add to that, from who just ventured into frozen, the cheapest cost for a breeding I have ever had was a mare bred with frozen this year. If this mare gets in foal (and there is the rub, isn't it) the vet fee was inconsequential, she was only in the clinic for a few days, and I will have a dose left over.

Given a choice, I still prefer fresh cooled with a live foal guarantee, but when frozen is half what a studfee is, and about the same as the collection/shipping charges charged which are over and above the fresh/cooled studfee, one has the give the choices some serious thought.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com