The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Non-professionals on foal watch: hand-holding thread?

I am so impressed with the professionals that post on this forum -- their beautiful mares and smooth operations. That's just not me, though! I have one mare due this year, a lovely mare and very dear to me. I am quite new to the whole breeding thing though, and small things make me giddy...

My mare is at 1-1/2 red squares on the foal predictor strip! She is bagged up, getting floppy in the rear with prominent tail head. Her vulva is elongating and opening.

This is my second foal from this mare but I bought her bred so this is my first experience from start (choosing stallion) to middle (insemination) to almost-the-end. The sneaky girl had her foal unattended in a paddock at 3:00 in the afternoon the last time (that was 2005). So I'm 0-for-1 in seeing her foal.

I'm experienced enough and have certainly read enough here to know that she could keep me waiting for, oh, MONTHS... but intuitively I think she is close. Today is day 322. By my best calculations (I was missing some "data" though) her last foal was born around day 320-325. I am SOOOOO excited and nervous.

Who else is a hobby breeder waiting for that special one or two? Who has first-time or nearly-first-time jitters? Can we band together for jingles and support?!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I'll hold your hand. This is my first, maybe not only, but definitely for this mare, foal. I've been around pregnant mares and foals, but never actually bred one or been responsible for everything from start to finish and never foaled one out. This is going to be a special foal as it is out of my old show pony (hopefully show pony again someday!) that I've had for 13 years.

My pony is at day 323 today, but no signs of anything soon. Her due date is the 28th.

I'm far from professional but I invested in a breeder alert and foal cam. I knew Bonnie was sneaky and she tried to sneak one out this year but I caught her, thanks to technology
    At day 362, yesterday around 5:30 AM
    At bed check, around 10, she had slightly cloudy, non sticky yellow colostrum but she was restless and didn't lay down for her after dinner snooze so I stayed up and watched the cam.

I caught her, and so did a few other COTHers
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default Me Too!

I am right there with you...
    Today is day 322 for my mare as well. This is our first foal and we are doing it ourselves. Our closest experience is with goats and I've had about 25 of them.
    I'm nervous too... Excited but nervous!

I'll hold some hands!
    I've got a maiden on day 315..bagging up, dropping belly, and elongated and loosening vulva... it will be my third foal, but I'm still nervous as heck!
    We'll all get through it together... I'm sure!
    -Jessica

JoZ,

Everyone starts somewhere. I foaled out my first one in 1996 and have learrned a lot since then and foaled out quite a few since then.

I still get the jitters and that sinking feeling in my stomach when I know it is showtime. Anyone who feels too confident and unconcerned has a lot to learn or does not care.

I wish you a safe foaling. Trust your gut and lean on this list when you need it!

Soo...checking in with everyone! Any developments?
    My mare's udder content is getting milkier every day, and the pH is starting to drop...calcium starting to climb... we're on day 317 now, and I'm hoping for a few more days, but I'm not sure she agrees with me!!!
    -Jessica

At least you guys have due dates . My mare was pasture bred over a four month period. This is my second foal and will be my first foaling ever (the first was foaled out by a pro). Good luck to all you other nervous nellies out there.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

JoZ is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

My mare went to 2-1/2 red squares on the foal predictor and... there... she... remains. It's been the same reading for three days. She is agitated though. She stops midway through eating, goes to the back of her stall, pins her ears, looks at her belly, stretches her legs... and then goes back to the hay.

I watched Suerte. I know. I could be watching the Folly Fandango for a looooong time.

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Best of luck to all of you. I hope you all have great foalings. I know you are all excited about your babies. Hope everyone gets fillies! My last foal was over ten years ago so I really enjoy seeing everyone's new babies.

I have foaled out quite a few mares and the maidens still scare me.
    You will do great. Do you have a checklist?
    I am up on foalwatch now and will be for the next week or two. Feel free to call me (it doesn't matter if it is the middle of the night) if she starts to foal and you panic. It helps to check your watch as soon as things get started. Sometimes it seems like it is taking forever when it reality it has only been a few minutes.
    Good luck to all of you, safe foaling.

Genevieve

Ok! Day 319 and changes they are a happenin!!!
    We're at the creamy stage in milk (slightly sweet) - milky yellow in color, and testing with a calcium level of 200ppm and a pH of 6.4 (down from 7.2 last night)!! Snarffed down her breakfast this morning, and is still acting herself, but perhaps it will be soon?
    Vet is coming out tomorrow to geld my yearling, and do an ultrasound on my other broodmare to see if there is a 14 day old speck in there...I'm thinking perhaps I'll have him check the maiden too!

JoZ - how's your girl looking?
    -Jessica

Oh, and Genevieve and chemteach, thanks for the good wishes!!! I'm hoping everything goes so quickly I won't have time to panic
    -Jessica

Default Day 326

We hit 200ppm on the Chemetrics test this morning.... After being about 125 yesterday morning.
    We are getting close and foal watch get intense startng tonight!
    Have I mentioned I'm nervous?

Original Poster

Folly is stuck in neutral. Had a lovely time with her yesterday... horsie spa treatment (full grooming, washed her hiney, braided up her tail... with lots of good belly rubbing which she loves).

She's not finishing her hay though. She is the opposite of a picky eater so this must mean SOMETHING (maybe it just means she has no room in there).

Here's a pic of the wide load, picture taken May 3.

My goodness Folly makes my girl look TINY!!!!!

Though I think my mare last year might have had one of the scariest alien-like dropped bellys! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20135...gHt?vhost=pets I swear, it looked like the foal was going to pop out the bottom!
    -Jessica

No changes whatsover in my mare, although I'm a little glad right now, because I haven't quite finished "the nursery". I have a feeling she's going to be right on time or late. She's been very aggravated with me every morning and night, checking her udders and lifting up her tail. She stops whatever she's doing and has this annoyed look on her face every time I do it. It's pretty funny.
    Last edited by ponyjumper4; May. 14, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: .

Goodness gracious, JoZ! Does she even fit in the barn anymore ?

When did your mare foal last year, AppJumpr08? I've been waiting on Chalour to go pointy but baby is still laying sideways.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Astraled View Post
    Goodness gracious, JoZ! Does she even fit in the barn anymore ?
    Not easily! The secrets are STRAIGHT LINES and RIGHT ANGLES. Straight out the stall door -- left turn onto the aisle -- right turn into the arena -- and so forth. The normal approach of a diagonal line out of the stall or in the arena gate just isn't working any more!!

Default BIG belly...

Here is our little 11.2 hand pony... If she were to get any bigger, she would drag on the ground!
    http://www.theempath.com/day320.jpg